Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2022, 05:18 PM   #1
neonfire
Enthusiast
neonfire began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Basic 11th Gen 2022
How to keep my Kindle Basic 2022 at 5.15.1

Obviously I can't jailbreak it now, but is there a way to keep it from upgrading further in the hope of a future jailbreak for this version?

Also, does jailbreaking allow for a better interface? I have manga and it's hard to deal with 34 volumes.
neonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 05:23 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonfire View Post
Obviously I can't jailbreak it now, but is there a way to keep it from upgrading further in the hope of a future jailbreak for this version?
Keep it in the airplane mode all the time. No connecting to wifi.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Keep it in the airplane mode all the time. No connecting to wifi.
Yes. That's the only way to make sure you never get another firmware update.

@neonfire what is it you want to do with a jailbroken Kindle? Maybe a Kobo would do better.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:00 PM   #4
neonfire
Enthusiast

Okay, cool. I'm not sure what I CAN do with a jailbroken Kindle tbh. I'm pretty technically minded, so I'm sure there's something interesting. A better interface would be nice.

I already have the Kindle, and the size, battery, storage, and other details are good enough.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:03 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@neonfire what is it you want to do with a jailbroken Kindle? Maybe a Kobo would do better.
When someone’s just bought a new Kindle, suggesting a Kobo isn’t very helpful. People want to know how to deal with the device they’ve got.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2022, 06:07 PM   #6
neonfire
Enthusiast

I mean, TBH, I'm not against returning the kindle, I return stuff [-ed] to Amazon all the time.

Is the experience that much better? Like is it really worth it to switch? The Clara 2E looks nice, but I don't see what it does that the Kindle doesn't, other than the light modes, which isn't that important to me since I have blue light blocking glasses lol

Last edited by issybird; 11-10-2022 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Language.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:18 PM   #7
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
The Clara 2E is moreso competing against the Paperwhite 5 than the Basic Kindle. If you're into modding your device then it really feels like iOS vs Android.

On one hand, you got iOS (and Kindle), really well made, but closed ecosystem, albeit with a thriving jailbreaking community (though not so much with iOS anymore thanks to all the things happened in iOS 15/16, but the tweak ecosystem is still very much alive thanks to sideloading tweaks in IPAs + trollstore.)

On the other, you got Android (and Kobo, but Kobo does NOT run Android, I'm only making comparisons here, though their German twins, the Tolino, does run Android.) which is a lot more open in nature and thus you wouldn't need to do much to get it the way you want, but you miss out on niche things (Android: tweaks for apps, etc) (Kobo: the vast library that Kindle and its store has.) and their rooting/jailbreaking community isn't as large.

This is just how it feels to me, I'm probably definitely getting some stuff wrong so I apologize.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #8
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post
The Clara 2E is moreso competing against the Paperwhite 5 than the Basic Kindle. If you're into modding your device then it really feels like iOS vs Android.

On one hand, you got iOS (and Kindle), really well made, but closed ecosystem, albeit with a thriving jailbreaking community (though not so much with iOS anymore thanks to all the things happened in iOS 15/16, but the tweak ecosystem is still very much alive thanks to sideloading tweaks in IPAs + trollstore.)

On the other, you got Android (and Kobo, but Kobo does NOT run Android, I'm only making comparisons here, though their German twins, the Tolino, does run Android.) which is a lot more open in nature and thus you wouldn't need to do much to get it the way you want, but you miss out on niche things (Android: tweaks for apps, etc) (Kobo: the vast library that Kindle and its store has.) and their rooting/jailbreaking community isn't as large.

This is just how it feels to me, I'm probably definitely getting some stuff wrong so I apologize.
Just one correction: I buy from Amazon all the time and read the books on my Kobos. Nope, Kobo users won't miss anything if they know about DRM and its removal.

I was a long time Kindle user, but now I prefer Kobos, because they're vastly more customizable out of the box. No rooting/jailbreaking needed at all.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:04 PM   #9
neonfire
Enthusiast

Okay, so I thought about it more, and I'm way more likely to just pirate books/comics, and the Kobo can still get books from my library.

So I bought the Clara, since why not and it has 16gb. I'll return the Kindle.

Thanks for the info y'all
Old 11-11-2022, 02:02 PM   #10
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
I am aware you can take out the DRM but I don't think we should discuss it here, alongside piracy and other things.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanakomisa View Post
I am aware you can take out the DRM but I don't think we should discuss it here, alongside piracy and other things.
We are allowed to talk about DRM removal. Piracy we are not allowed to talk about.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:12 PM   #12
neonfire
Enthusiast

No need to talk Piracy.

I am interested in the DRM removal though. Link please?
Old 11-11-2022, 06:15 PM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No need to talk Piracy.

I am interested in the DRM removal though. Link please?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253119

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
Old 11-11-2022, 06:31 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Okay, so I thought about it more, and I'm way more likely to just pirate books/comics, and the Kobo can still get books from my library.

So I bought the Clara, since why not and it has 16gb. I'll return the Kindle.

Thanks for the info y'all
MobileRead doesn’t tolerate advocacy of piracy. Do it again and you will be banned. This is your only warning.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 07:06 PM   #15
neonfire
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
MobileRead doesn’t tolerate advocacy of piracy. Do it again and you will be banned. This is your only warning.
Advocate means to suggest that others do it. Saying what I'll do doesn't mean I'm telling others to do it. But noted, thanks!