Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-29-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
jckatz
Connoisseur
jckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litterjckatz doesn't litter

Device: SONY PSR-500
Did Sony Connect lower prices to match Kindle?

I was just checking out the Kindle page (a book I just purchase said I could have gotten it for Kindle). I noticed it was only 390 KB so I went to Sony Connect and notice it was 1.2 Megs.

But the really interesting thing I noticed was the price was exactly the same as Amazon.com, yet 2 weeks ago I purchased the book from Amazon.com because it was $4 cheaper in paperback.

Does anyone know if Sony is lowering all their book prices (this would be GREAT!).
jckatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Yup, Connect's prices went down the day after Kindle launched. So did Fictionwise and Mobipocket, for that matter.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
dunster
dunster began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Would you like to buy the Brooklyn Bridge?

AT BOOKS A MILLION:
The Savage Detectives
by Roberto Bolano; Natasha Wimmer / Hardcover

Club Price: $15.65

AT SONY CONNECT:
The Savage Detectives
by
Roberto Bolano
Natasha Wimmer
Macmillan (04/02/2007)
Other Mystery & Thrillers

$16.20
dunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunster View Post
AT BOOKS A MILLION:
The Savage Detectives

AT SONY CONNECT:
The Savage Detectives
by
Roberto Bolano
Natasha Wimmer
Macmillan (04/02/2007)

$16.20
Wow. That's an amazing comparison of e-book prices--except one of them is paper. Maybe I should reread the thread title.

"Did Sony Connect lower prices to match Kindle?"

Kindle edition:
Not even listed as "unavailable". It just doesn't exist.

So is the point that Sony should have stopped selling this edition to match the Kindle?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #5
dunster

I just find it amazing that some ebook prices are higher than paper prices. I can't believe that they would not increase sales and popularize ebooks more if the prices were not greater than sale prices of paper books which most people place a greater value on than a download.
Advert
Old 11-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
I just find it amazing that some ebook prices are higher than paper prices.
Alas, so it has been from the beginning, and is in fact a less pronounce phenomenon these days. Kinda makes you wonder if Publishers (who are the ones who set the prices) want e-books to succeed, dunnit?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #7
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
I just find it amazing that some ebook prices are higher than paper prices. I can't believe that they would not increase sales and popularize ebooks more if the prices were not greater than sale prices of paper books which most people place a greater value on than a download.
The problem is that I'm not sure who "they" are in this situation. Sony? Fararr, Straus and Giroux? FS&G's parent, Macmillan (Holtzbrinck's US branch)? The original Spanish-language publisher who (I'm assuming) sold Macmillan whatever rights it is that they now hold? Amazon for not doing a Kindle edition? Holtzbrinck for not putting out the PB of the translation until next April? Sony for only getting a 35 or 40 percent discount off of the HB cover price and still wanting to make a profit?

The publishing rights labyrinth can be really messy sometimes. Sometimes "they" is unclear and there's no monolithic "someone" to rail against.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #8
dunster

Not railing. Or trying to be argumentative. I just think that until something changes, the value/price equation is not likely to make ebooks take off. Whoever "they" are, until they decide to lower prices either because the market drives them to do it, or they do it as a calculated loss leader, ebooks will not flourish. Noone, or at least not enough to support a large market, is going to buy an ebook for more than a nice hardcover edition, especially those who read more "literary" titles.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
AT BOOKS A MILLION:
The Savage Detectives

AT SONY CONNECT:
The Savage Detectives
by
Roberto Bolano
Natasha Wimmer
Macmillan (04/02/2007)

$16.20
Sony has it, Amazon, Mobipocket, Fictionwise, ebooks, and BooksOnBoard do not have it.

So it looks like if you want an ebook edition, you HAVE to go to the Connect Store to buy it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote