Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-07-2015, 04:45 PM   #1
smn09
smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
First time user having issues

Hey everyone!

I downloaded Calibre last night, since I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite and am looking to put some ebooks on it. I am interested specifically in being able to email myself books over wifi. I am having a mountain of trouble with this task. I have watched several Youtube videos and have done a few hours of Google searches, attempted to troubleshoot the issue myself, and have failed. So here's the issue:

When I select my book (Fahrenheit 451, in this case), right click, select "connect/share>xxx@kindle.com> go to the jobs section and it is indefinitely stuck on "unavailable" for progress. When I go to preferences and type in my email address that I want the book sent from, it is an authorized email address (as per the suggestions of everyone online). I have also tried to set it up so that the email is sent from google's servers (host name-imap.gmail.com>encryption-SSL>Port 993) and that doesn't work either.

When I run the test email, this is the error message:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtp.py", line 135, in sendmail
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 577, in login
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 539, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
SMTPHeloError: (-1, 'BAD Unknown command l21mb40973909iol')

Log:

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?
smn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by smn09 View Post
Hey everyone!

I downloaded Calibre last night, since I just bought a Kindle Paperwhite and am looking to put some ebooks on it. I am interested specifically in being able to email myself books over wifi. I am having a mountain of trouble with this task. I have watched several Youtube videos and have done a few hours of Google searches, attempted to troubleshoot the issue myself, and have failed. So here's the issue:

When I select my book (Fahrenheit 451, in this case), right click, select "connect/share>xxx@kindle.com> go to the jobs section and it is indefinitely stuck on "unavailable" for progress. When I go to preferences and type in my email address that I want the book sent from, it is an authorized email address (as per the suggestions of everyone online). I have also tried to set it up so that the email is sent from google's servers (host name-imap.gmail.com>encryption-SSL>Port 993) and that doesn't work either.

When I run the test email, this is the error message:

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\wizard\send_email.py", line 173, in test_email_settings
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 577, in login
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 539, in ehlo_or_helo_if_needed
SMTPHeloError: (-1, 'BAD Unknown command l21mb40973909iol')

Log:

Does anybody have any suggestions for me?
Look in this thread this post.

Luck
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
you did obscure (xxx) your Kindle address for these posts?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 05:48 PM   #4
smn09
smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.smn09 shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
you did obscure (xxx) your Kindle address for these posts?
Yes, just for these posts.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
smn09

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Look in this thread this post.

Luck
bernie
After running another test email with the modification made, this is my error message:

File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 617, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (534, '5.7.14 <https://accounts.google.com/Continue...nsbs4F\n5.7.14 me5UeGOpMTO8_JjDPtyfmrDYFg7dzBSPrH2AmNhqXwrZw7JLVu Hm5P0HcEzGbe09JIixhs\n5.7.14 gk4XeF37z13_bOKzYlT5Lhcza6Qb1hafjxQzrhRcuJVZnVqjyW ZJqDatqBxY6FNZeX8YJ2\n5.7.14 a2JhMH1y5hcxkSidTnVuUBnezwBBIrQEeZTpuieiKL24bVFqwj O0v6-jJ7seu7kjRy_8xD\n5.7.14 Gr424Zl9JJ16QsmI282kY2_Cqyu4> Please log in via your web browser and\n5.7.14 then try again.\n5.7.14 Learn more at\n5.7.14 https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...y?answer=78754 10sm2990996ioh.44 - gsmtp')

Log:
Advert
Old 04-07-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Yes, just for these posts.
Great!

try the suggestion in post 2 (I prefer to use the side load and not tell the AD snoops what I read. Can't even look at a garden tool without getting swamped with ads until I look at some other widget )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
After running another test email with the modification made, this is my error message:

File "site-packages\calibre\utils\smtplib.py", line 617, in login
SMTPAuthenticationError: (534, '5.7.14 <https://accounts.google.com/Continue...nsbs4F\n5.7.14 me5UeGOpMTO8_JjDPtyfmrDYFg7dzBSPrH2AmNhqXwrZw7JLVu Hm5P0HcEzGbe09JIixhs\n5.7.14 gk4XeF37z13_bOKzYlT5Lhcza6Qb1hafjxQzrhRcuJVZnVqjyW ZJqDatqBxY6FNZeX8YJ2\n5.7.14 a2JhMH1y5hcxkSidTnVuUBnezwBBIrQEeZTpuieiKL24bVFqwj O0v6-jJ7seu7kjRy_8xD\n5.7.14 Gr424Zl9JJ16QsmI282kY2_Cqyu4> Please log in via your web browser and\n5.7.14 then try again.\n5.7.14 Learn more at\n5.7.14 https://support.google.com/mail/bin/...y?answer=78754 10sm2990996ioh.44 - gsmtp')

Log:
Check your password. and make sure you have:
Did you register your mail host in your My Kindle account?

bernie
Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #8
smn09

Quote:
Check your password. and make sure you have:

bernie
Could you elaborate on what you mean by "check you password?" I have entered the correct password to my email address, if that is what you're referring to.

Also, I added the host name account to my authorized emails in amazon. It reads xxx@smtp.gmail.com. Is that correct? I am still getting the same error message, and cannot email myself the ebooks.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:

bernie
+1

This is a very common oversight. Amazon blocks all incoming emails except those that are on your account's "white list". If you fail to add the email address that you are using in calibre then Amazon will block the email.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 PM   #10
smn09

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
+1

This is a very common oversight. Amazon blocks all incoming emails except those that are on your account's "white list". If you fail to add the email address that you are using in calibre then Amazon will block the email.
Is this done through Amazon under "Manage your content and devices?" If so, I have added both my email address (xxx@gmail.com) as well as the host name I inputed (xxx.smtp.gmail.com). I still can't seem to get it to work over email. Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2015, 08:33 PM   #11
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Is this done through Amazon under "Manage your content and devices?" If so, I have added both my email address (xxx@gmail.com) as well as the host name I inputed (xxx.smtp.gmail.com). I still can't seem to get it to work over email. Thoughts?
You have 2-Step Verification on your gmail account, go to this page and follow the directions for app password. Sign in using App Passwords.
If that does not work then I would recommend you open and use a GMX email account.

luck
bernie
Old 04-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #12
smn09

Quote:
You have 2-Step Verification on your gmail account, go to this page and follow the directions for app password. Sign in using App Passwords.
If that does not work then I would recommend you open and use a GMX email account.

luck
bernie
I certainly don't have two step verification turned on. My gmail account only requires a password. I'm very confused as to why this program seems to work with everybody other than me...
Old 04-07-2015, 08:55 PM   #13
smn09

I made a new gmx account and it worked fine. Obviously this isn't ideal, so if anyone has any solutions I would appreciate it.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:58 PM   #14
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
I made a new gmx account and it worked fine. Obviously this isn't ideal, so if anyone has any solutions I would appreciate it.
Your gmail may have worked with an app password. Some people get gmail to work some do not, that is why gmx or hotmail are the defaults.

bernie
Old 04-08-2015, 02:56 AM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=244280

Google now tries to get you to use OAuth, and uses scare tactics to pretend plain old smtp is "less secure".
So far, Google apps work properly as a so-called "more secure" app, but I don't think anything else does.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote