Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #1
i336_
i336_ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 7th gen (KT2)
Just got a KT2. Are there already dumps of 5.6.1.0.6 I can look at?

First time I actually entered a raffle and won anything. And I've wanted an e-book reader for months

So I'm apparently staring at Xfbdev and awesome when I look at the UI on this thing. Wow. That really messes with my head, partially because I've never thought of awesome in this kind of context, and partially because using that approach just feels... really, really messed up in a "nothanksI'llpassoneverworkingatLab126" kind of way.

Anyway, I guess my first instinct was "Meh. I can haz real access?"

I don't want to physically open it up all at once though, not without taking a bit of time to consider everything first and make sure I don't ruin or break anything.

On the other hand, I have something of a bit of time on my hands generally speaking, so it makes most sense to me to add to the list of eyes who've looked through the firmware, and due to the diametric absence of risk in this endeavor this is obviously favorable to reaching for a guitar pick. :P

So, does anyone already have some dumps of 5.6.1.0.6 around?

I'm not sure how this works; if you share via PM by all means go ahead and send me a message. :P

Some info about vintage/lineage:

- Its serial number starts with 90C6
- "Firmware version: 5.6.1.0.6 (2588930001)"
- I won it at CeBIT Australia

Also, when I did the first reboot, after I finished setting up an Amazon account and registering it to that account, it was all like "Hi Deepak!"

One and a 2nd reboot later, it successfully figured out my name. :P

So obviously it was either a QA pull, refurbished, or similar. The case, display, etc are all in perfect condition though, so I have zero problem with that.

Also, ENABLE_DIAGS isn't working. Specifically...
# mount /dev/sd_ /mnt/tmp
# touch /mnt/tmp/ENABLE_DIAGS
# umount /mnt/tmp

That ^ (where _ is intended to represent a token placeholder) does zero. No noticeable effect. I'm supposed to see a menu, right?

Oh... and... I'm reasonably sure it wasn't running the absolute-latest firmware in the box...... eheheh. I never thought to learn the jailbreak scene before feeding it Wi-Fi. Go me!

- i336_
i336_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Well, welcome to this forum.
(I'm here now, not at my own, which is long gone. Just being a member is so much less stressful than being owner/webmaster.)

Here are some of the details on your device:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=249979

The Amazon updates (posted on Amazon support page) for the 5.6 firmware are complete images.
You can unpack them with our KindleTool.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

Also, some of the hints for persons new to this forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=237083

Unfortunately, Twobob
https://soundcloud.com/twobob
has not been active here for quite some time.
He could probably lend you a case or two of guitar picks.
- - Which is what you need for a KT2 - -

Last edited by knc1; 05-06-2015 at 09:14 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:57 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
As for the firmware updating -- whatever you had doesn't matter, the KT2 first shippped with a firmware already immune to our current one-click jailbreak. Although in general it is wise to check first.

P.S. Welcome to MobileRead.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote