Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-02-2017, 03:28 AM   #1
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo. Samsung Galaxy Tab. Kindle 4 2011
Question Importing Kindle Books into Calibre

I usually download my kindle books from Amazon then Add them to my Calibre Library to organise.
However I have noticed this month that each book is now in a separate folder in my Kindle Content folder and will not import correctly.

Tried opening each folder and clicking each Kindle Content file.

Sometimes they import into Calibre but when they do the title does not change, and they are still called BO Ebok and calibre is unable to read them
Any advice welcome.
Jo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
higgs
Connoisseur
higgs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicinghiggs causes much rejoicing

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Kindle PW3
Are you using Kindle for PC? which version?
This thread might help - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282886
higgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 05:08 AM   #3
Jo69
Addict
Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jo69 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by higgs View Post
Are you using Kindle for PC? which version?
This thread might help - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=282886
Am using the Kindle App version 1.19.2

Never had any problems before
Its only just happened this week
But now notice new books are importing into the kindle folder in individual folders.
Even if I take them out its still the same.

Just unable to add them all into Calibre now.

Last edited by Jo69; 02-03-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:28 AM   #4
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Am using the Kindle App version 1.19.2

Never had any problems before
Its only just happened this week
But now notice new books are importing into the kindle folder in individual folders.
Even if I take them out its still the same.

Just unable to add them all into Calibre now.
You should return to a previous version of Kindle App, as this one downloads files as KFX, not supported in calibre at this moment.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You should return to a previous version of Kindle App, as this one downloads files as KFX, not supported in calibre at this moment.
Thank you
It seems to auto download the latest version of the kindle App.

Just looked on OldVersion.com for an earlier version
There seem so many which is the one that is best?
Also my anti virus seems to blocking them from that site.

Is that the reason then, are you all unable to download books into calibre now?

Last edited by Jo69; 02-03-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Advert
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I think I've got 1.17.*, but I don't authorize automatic download, even prior to the warning here about the new version. I don't know where you can get it.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
Jo69
Addict

Hi I have returned to an older version of the Kindle App. KindleForPC-1.17
However it has made no difference as the 10 new books I downloaded are still in separate folders and will not add to calibre.
Any ideas?
Is it just me who's stuck? lol
Old 02-03-2017, 11:04 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can get the normal azw3 version of the book by going to your "Manage my content and devices" page on amazon.com and downloading the book from there.

Go to amazon.com in your web browser
Click "Account & Lists"
Click "Manage your content and devices"
Click the button with three dots next to the name of the book you want to download
Click download & transfer via USB
Choose which Kindle you want to download the book for
Once the file is downloaded, add it to calibre by dragging and dropping it onto the calibre books list or using the Add Books button in calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #9
Jo69
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can get the normal azw3 version of the book by going to your "Manage my content and devices" page on amazon.com and downloading the book from there.

Go to amazon.com in your web browser
Click "Account & Lists"
Click "Manage your content and devices"
Click the button with three dots next to the name of the book you want to download
Click download & transfer via USB
Choose which Kindle you want to download the book for
Once the file is downloaded, add it to calibre by dragging and dropping it onto the calibre books list or using the Add Books button in calibre
Thanks very much will try that.
I add the books to calibre and then to my android devices Do not have a kindle.
What has caused it and will I always have to do that?
Calibre is my favourite Program

Last edited by Jo69; 02-03-2017 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #10
Jo69
Addict

Just tried that but it says no USB device is elegible
Old 02-03-2017, 11:54 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to own an actual Kindle registered with amazon for it to work. You can buy one pretty cheap secondhand.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I suggest following the steps in this thread.

Last edited by jhowell; 02-07-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: point to new thread
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I suggest following steps:
  • Launch Kindle for PC 1.19 and under the menu choice "Tools", "Options", "General", uncheck "Automatically install updates when they are available without asking me."
  • Exit Kindle for PC and uninstall it.
  • Delete the contents of the "My Kindle Content" folder within your "Documents" folder.
  • Download version 1.17 of Kindle for PC. It is safest to use the link in this post to download it directly from Amazon, instead of going to a third party site.
  • Install the downloaded Kindle for PC version 1.17.
  • Launch it and check that the option to automatically install updates is still turned off.
  • If asked if you want to update to the new version always reject it.
  • Re-download your books and import into calibre as before.
Will try that in the morning thank you.
How will that work out with new books i buy in the future, will i have the same problem? And why?
Old 02-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #14
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo69 View Post
Will try that in the morning thank you.
How will that work out with new books i buy in the future, will i have the same problem? And why?
How long the older version of Kindle for PC will be allowed to work by Amazon is unknown. My best guess is sometime between a few weeks and a few months.

After that, as kovidgoyal wrote, unless something changes you will need to own an e-ink Kindle device to gain usable access to your book files.

As to why, Amazon has been gradually taking steps to keep their customers locked into their ecosystem. The shrinking of the e-book developer community over time makes it less likely that workarounds for these changes will be forthcoming in the future.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #15
Jo69
Addict

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I suggest following steps:
  • Launch Kindle for PC 1.19 and under the menu choice "Tools", "Options", "General", uncheck "Automatically install updates when they are available without asking me."
  • Exit Kindle for PC and uninstall it.
  • Delete the contents of the "My Kindle Content" folder within your "Documents" folder.
  • Download version 1.17 of Kindle for PC. It is safest to use the link in this post to download it directly from Amazon, instead of going to a third party site.
  • Install the downloaded Kindle for PC version 1.17.
  • Launch it and check that the option to automatically install updates is still turned off.
  • If asked if you want to update to the new version always reject it.
  • Re-download your books and import into calibre as before.
Thank you jhowell that worked!!!
Been struggling to sort it out for days.
Kept installing different Kindle aps but was no change
I think the secret was deleting everything in the kindle folder as well
You're a star
Fingers crossed more books imported will be ok (eg not imported one by one in folders.
Thanks again