Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #46
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Thought that this might be of interest to those following the back and forth of this thread. At least those that are open to all media, not just the printed word.

Changing language versus the grammar police.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #47
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
I (and I think most people who are native German speakers) have some trouble with "borrow" and "lend" because the corresponding German words, "borgen" and "leihen" are interchangable.

Less trouble with "lie" vs "lay", though, because "liegen" and "legen" aren't homonyms.
Being used to declensions might help with the who vs whom problem, too. I do prefer a text using "who" exclusively to having to wade through one where it's used incorrectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocedb View Post
And has anyone mentioned the misuse of hang, hanged, and hung?
Makes me qant to quote Maskerade (by Terry Pratchett).

Quote:
'We've got to do this properly. Did you know Dr Undershaft was strangled before he was hung?'
'Hanged,' said Bucket, without thinking. 'Men are hanged. It's dead meat that's hung.'
'Indeed?' said Salzella. 'I appreciate the information. Well, poor old Undershaft was strangled, apparently. And then he was hung.'
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 04:16 AM   #48
Tony_A20
Enthusiast
Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.Tony_A20 knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 3
Why disturb one's serenity by discussing the mistakes of others? Writers who use words incorrectly advertise their ignorance. Improving one's own craftsmanship is more important, and more valuable.
Tony_A20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #49
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Because discussing mistakes helps the people who make those mistakes to stop making them. At least if they are willing to listen.

If no-one had called me out of it, I'd probably still be mixing up "wench" and "wrench", or "kneeing" and "kneeling".

Last edited by Anke Wehner; 03-26-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #50
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke Wehner View Post
Because discussing mistakes helps the people who make those mistakes to stop making them. At least if they are willing to listen.
Well said and the right approach/attitude. I've been an editor for 27 years and I still learn something new about grammar with each book I edit.

Last edited by rhadin; 03-27-2011 at 09:38 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #51
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_A20 View Post
Why disturb one's serenity by discussing the mistakes of others? Writers who use words incorrectly advertise their ignorance. Improving one's own craftsmanship is more important, and more valuable.
So ... um ... why disturb one's serenity by posting in a thread one disagrees with?

Improving one's own craftsmanship and discussing errors seen in public are not only not mutually exclusive, but quite often the latter leads to the former. Learning from one's own mistakes is good, but learning from others' mistakes is better (it saves time that can be used to make new and different mistakes).
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Well said and the right approach/attitude. I've been an edior for 27 years and I still learn something new about grammar with each book I edit.
Totally agree. I too learn something new from every book I proof-read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 AM   #53
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Do you think it's O.K. to inform people of their mistakes?
The local take-away food bar is run by Chinese. Their menu board had 'sause' on it so I told them it was sauce. My husband said that I shouldn't do that as it's rude. I think it's helping them.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #54
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Do you think it's O.K. to inform people of their mistakes?
The local take-away food bar is run by Chinese. Their menu board had 'sause' on it so I told them it was sauce. My husband said that I shouldn't do that as it's rude. I think it's helping them.
I think it is helping them as well and I don't think it is rude. I've suggested that they go back to whoever created the menu for them and ask for new ones -- corrected, of course -- for a substantial discount.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #55
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What irks me is when a company pays an ad agency for an ad and it has errors even a schoolchild would notice.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:57 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The most common one by far is using "it's" as a possessive pronoun. You see this in endless professional advertisements and notices. It's such an easy thing to get right, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #57
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
This is an interesting thread. I was exempted from English classes in seventh and eighth grades because my skills were considered advanced, so I had an "independent study" period instead. I still wonder what I missed during those years!

Several of my pet peeves have been mentioned. The misused words/phrases that irritate me most are:

it's / its
you're / your
affect / effect
complement / compliment
their / they're
principle / principal
would/should/could of / would/should could have (correct)
1920's / 1920s (correct)
sentences ending in prepositions (exceptions might be dialogue)

I have never used Garner's Modern American Usage. That looks like a book I'd enjoy reading cover to cover! I'm such a word geek, and I enjoy learning.

I don't correct people when they mis-speak, but I certainly have been tempted to mark up incorrect advertising signs! And when there are too many errors in a book, it completely ruins the story for me.

I'm not perfect, though. I sometimes struggle with elements of grammar and sentence structure. In many cases, I suspect that something might be wrong, but I'm not always sure what is correct.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #58
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Fascinating. Some of those are on my pet peeve list as well.

On the original point, I do realise that it's self-published work, but I also realise that I'm reading in Australian English while the authors are writing in American English, which is why I asked. Thanks all for the replies!

And now I have another one: what is the correct short form for "medical evacuation"? I prefer "medevac" but apparently everyone else I work with uses "medivac". At least they didn't "correct" my report. The internet suggests that both are acceptable. I'll make the argument that it should be "medevac" on the basis that it is an abbreviation of "MEDical EVACuation". What do you think? Do you think that "medevac" in either form is even acceptable written English?

The worst case of a greengrocers' apostrophe I've come across was on the entry form for a writing contest. I can't recall the full sentence, but it used "author's" where it should have used "authors". Objectively it's not the worst usage, but that it appeared on a writing contest entry form just seems so much more wrong than usual.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #59
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
Fascinating. Some of those are on my pet peeve list as well. And now I have another one: what is the correct short form for "medical evacuation"? I prefer "medevac" but apparently everyone else I work with uses "medivac". At least they didn't "correct" my report. The internet suggests that both are acceptable.
I think the internet suggests that medevac is the more common form (by a long way)

medivac: 495,000 results (and "Did you mean: medevac")
medevac: 3,360,000 results

It seems thre was an Australian TV series called Medivac, which might explain your colleagues' preference for that spelling. Dialecticon shows that Medivac seems to be much more common in Australian English than elsewhere:

http://www.chaucery.com/fun/dialecti...hrase2=medivac

medevac:medivac
US: 76:23
Canada: 72:28
UK: 69:31
Australia: 43:57
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 AM   #60
Anke Wehner
Addict

One of my pet-peeves is capitol vs capital. And one I see more often in comments about books rather than in books: "sneak peak" (Is there a mountaintop sneaking up to you?)

Then there's authors revealing they don't understand the words they use by adding redundancy, like...
"a capital crime, punishable by death" - That's what "capital crime" means.
"brine water" - Brine is salt water.

Oh, and using "thee" in subject case. I've meanwhile found out that is the usage among some groups of Amish, but it still sounds wrong...

Anybody know a good website explaining comma use? That's something I know I'm rarely sure about.