Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
Collection Questions

Hi there,

I have just purchased my first Kindle ( Kindle 4 NT) and I'm looking to begin loading up some PDFs onto it for reading.

One group of PDFs are all related to chess and so I want to add them all o a chess collection. Is the only way to do this on the device itself, or can I make the collection on the Kindle Reader Windows PC App and that will then sync out to the physical Kindle? It looks like its a bit of a cumbersome process to add items into a collection on the Kindle itself, and I have around 150 PDFs I want to add into this collection.

I'm planning on using Calibre to maintain the list of PDFs that need to go to the Kindle but it doesn't look like that can do collections as far as I can see.

I'll greatly appreciate any help or advice on the best way to handle this.

Rob
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi, there are a few pc apps in here that might help including a plug in for calibre. They should all let you create the collections on your pc, though i find it easier to do it straight on the kindle.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 11:31 AM   #3
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
calibre has a plugin that allows you to manage collections.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's very easy to add multiple items to a collection on the Kindle itself. Go to the collection, right click, and select "Add/Remove items". You'll then get a list of all your books, and check/uncheck them as appropriate. It's very quick to do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's very easy to add multiple items to a collection on the Kindle itself. Go to the collection, right click, and select "Add/Remove items". You'll then get a list of all your books, and check/uncheck them as appropriate. It's very quick to do.
Agreed, easy!, till you get several hundred books on the Kindle.
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If you add those books gradually, over the lifetime of your first Kindle, it is not difficult. When you get a second Kindle, you send all of the books you want to the new Kindle and then import your collections from your old Kindle to your new Kindle. The Kindle does the work and sorts the books into the proper collections.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
Agreed, easy!, till you get several hundred books on the Kindle.
I currently have 680 books on my Kindle and find collection management, using the method I described, to be very easy.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
I currently have 680 books on my Kindle and find collection management, using the method I described, to be very easy.
I have to disagree with you on this one for a newly loaded kindle, I have close to 900 books on mine with them being parsed out into 18 collections. Most of which move around a lot based on their genre's and/or series and I do not find it easy to put them into collections on the kindle. So having a pc generated collections file would be ideal for me. Once everything is as it should be, maintenance on the kindle is fairly easy. Though since I am losing the use of the Calibre collections plugin I will be playing with the k4pc program to see if it will put non-Amazon books into collections and save them so they can be uploaded to my Touch. Though I am hoping I will not have to do this and the Touch can import from my k2.

I also find it difficult to do with books that I have accumulated but do not regularly keep on my kindle because Amazon on "remembers" the collections locations for Amazon books and for users like me who buy almost half of my books from other sites than Amazon's I have a lot of books that will never have their collections location remembered, so they will have to be rebuilt each time they are put back on the kindle.

But what can I do, I was the one who wanted the new Touch???
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:58 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
I have to disagree with you on this one for a newly loaded kindle
That's fine . It works for me - I fully appreciate that it may not work for everybody.

Quote:
Though since I am losing the use of the Calibre collections plugin I will be playing with the k4pc program to see if it will put non-Amazon books into collections and save them so they can be uploaded to my Touch. Though I am hoping I will not have to do this and the Touch can import from my k2.
Why are you losing the use of the plug-in? Doesn't it work with the Kindle Touch?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #10
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why are you losing the use of the plug-in? Doesn't it work with the Kindle Touch?
No, another user discovered that the plugin is not creating the collections. There must be something different in the Touch's firmware that prevents it from working so until Meme figures out if he can get the Touch to work with it I have to come up with a plan B.

Through my testing I figured out that the k4pc will work with non-Amazon books and remember it's collections, so I am in the process of putting all my books in there and updating my collections. At first I thought I would be able to do this on the K2 but Amazon's servers seems to remember every collection that I have ever had on there and there are A LOT of old collection names which I no longer use and I cannot figure out how to permanently get rid of them. So I have until tomorrow to get them all together.

Nyn
Old 11-16-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
No, another user discovered that the plugin is not creating the collections. There must be something different in the Touch's firmware that prevents it from working so until Meme figures out if he can get the Touch to work with it I have to come up with a plan B.

Through my testing I figured out that the k4pc will work with non-Amazon books and remember it's collections, so I am in the process of putting all my books in there and updating my collections. At first I thought I would be able to do this on the K2 but Amazon's servers seems to remember every collection that I have ever had on there and there are A LOT of old collection names which I no longer use and I cannot figure out how to permanently get rid of them. So I have until tomorrow to get them all together.

Nyn
That's the problem I had too, I ended up with a bunch of Collection names on the Kindle Touch that I had deleted off the old Kindle months and months ago. Except I have many more than 18 Collections because I use Author Sort names for my Collections.

Right now I've just resorted to page by page trying to correct my Collections and books in them. It's going to take some time. I really hope that Calibre plug-in is tweakable to the new Kindle Touch because I was really liking it.

I have to admit that having my Collections out of sorts makes be feel highly anxious. It must be some sort of OCD.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
That's the problem I had too, I ended up with a bunch of Collection names on the Kindle Touch that I had deleted off the old Kindle months and months ago. Except I have many more than 18 Collections because I use Author Sort names for my Collections.

Right now I've just resorted to page by page trying to correct my Collections and books in them. It's going to take some time. I really hope that Calibre plug-in is tweakable to the new Kindle Touch because I was really liking it.

I have to admit that having my Collections out of sorts makes be feel highly anxious. It must be some sort of OCD.
Same here which is why I am spending all this time trying to fix them in K4pc, I am hoping I can get this all done so that the transition to the Touch is smooth. Though it would be really nice if there was a way to tell Amazon's servers to delete all collections for a particular device.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Same here which is why I am spending all this time trying to fix them in K4pc, I am hoping I can get this all done so that the transition to the Touch is smooth. Though it would be really nice if there was a way to tell Amazon's servers to delete all collections for a particular device.
For creating collections to work on the Kindle on K4PC the pdoc files have to be the exact files you move onto the Kindle not copies of the files. The attributes much match exactly. Do not import them into K4PC it will change the file be sure to drop them into the Kindle content folder in documents then open the program and make your collections for your Kindle.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:16 AM   #14
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
For creating collections to work on the Kindle on K4PC the pdoc files have to be the exact files you move onto the Kindle not copies of the files. The attributes much match exactly. Do not import them into K4PC it will change the file be sure to drop them into the Kindle content folder in documents then open the program and make your collections for your Kindle.
Crap that will make it much more difficult, so then realistically you can only use Amazon files in collections for them to remember them.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Crap that will make it much more difficult, so then realistically you can only use Amazon files in collections for them to remember them.
Just take the books on your Kindle (the mobi and pdocs files) and copy them into your Kindle content folder for K4PC. Then you can also make collections for them on K4PC and it will show up on the Kindle too.

If you try to open the book by clicking on it in explorer it will open it up in K4PC and it will no longer be seen as the same book you have on your Kindle because the program modifies it but if you copy the non amazon books from your Kindle to K4PC via the Kindle content folder it will work.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote