Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
PW2 Covers which stand in landscape recs?

I have an old PW2 which still works fine; for a while now, I've felt the need to prop it up and as I prefer reading in landscape, I ordered this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you can see the one and only review, I wrote that. Yep, it props up with the screen upside down when in landscape. I've contacted the seller.

To prevent this happening again, does anyone know of a good case for the PW2 which props it up in landscape RIGHT WAY UP? (It helps if there's a pic of a cat on it, but that's not necessary.)

I'm also considering the stands, but as I need to keep my reader in a case to protect it against cats, it would be nice to avoid having to find the stand when I need it.

I'm hoping that someone has used and can recommend such a case.

Thanks in advance.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: KV; PW3 ; PW2 ; k5; KT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I have an old PW2 which still works fine; for a while now, I've felt the need to prop it up and as I prefer reading in landscape, I ordered this:

If you can see the one and only review, I wrote that. Yep, it props up with the screen upside down when in landscape.
I don’t understand why amazon withholds features.

If you are jailbroken, koreader does an excellent job of customizing page view among other things.

To the community at large: didn’t there used to be a jailbreak extension that dealt with page view in the standard reader?
Sol Arkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 02:24 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:

If you can see the one and only review, I wrote that. Yep, it props up with the screen upside down when in landscape. I've contacted the seller.

To prevent this happening again, does anyone know of a good case for the PW2 which props it up in landscape RIGHT WAY UP? (It helps if there's a pic of a cat on it, but that's not necessary.)

I'm also considering the stands, but as I need to keep my reader in a case to protect it against cats, it would be nice to avoid having to find the stand when I need it.

I'm hoping that someone has used and can recommend such a case.

Thanks in advance.
Someone had the same problem last year, even down to the PW2.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294662
The solution was to jailbreak the kindle paperwhite
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Someone had the same problem last year, even down to the PW2.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294662
The solution was to jailbreak the kindle paperwhite
So does this mean that NO ONE has designed a case which works with the way the PW2 flips into landscape? It must be so easy to design with, for example, a flap-like stand which originates at the back of the reader case and is attached to the "spine" area. Or one which uses the 'tent' effect of bending the cover back on itself but provides an attached 'platform' for stabilisation. It's not rocket science.

A quick google, which I've spent an hour doing, has shown that there's a call for this.

I'd be more inclined to buy a separate stand than jailbreak. I'm just not techie enough.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Any regular cover I've ever used can be propped, tent like, with the Kindle in landscape mode, so I can read while sitting at the dining room table, etc.

That said, some wouldn't be terribly stable if the table were bumped. These covers are the snap in type. The only cover I've had that wouldn't stay propped was the cover designed for that little basic Kindle with the 5 buttons across the bottom bezel, but the cover was junk all around.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Any regular cover I've ever used can be propped, tent like, with the Kindle in landscape mode, so I can read while sitting at the dining room table, etc.

That said, some wouldn't be terribly stable if the table were bumped. These covers are the snap in type. The only cover I've had that wouldn't stay propped was the cover designed for that little basic Kindle with the 5 buttons across the bottom bezel, but the cover was junk all around.
The nice Finitie case which I've been using for a while bends backwards, but won't stand that way. It slips until the whole thing is lying down. Lately, I've been propping it against things, which is why I was looking for a stand-case.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
Sol Arkite
Zealot
Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Sol Arkite can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=206443
Wouldn’t this be useful listed in the kual extensions listing.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J

From what I've been reading, I think my firmware is too recent to jailbreak. It's: 5.9.7.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of jailbreaking? If this has been detailed thousands of times, please direct me to the correct place.
Thanks.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #9
Sol Arkite
Zealot

Quote:
From what I've been reading, I think my firmware is too recent to jailbreak. It's: 5.9.7.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of jailbreaking? If this has been detailed thousands of times, please direct me to the correct place.
Thanks.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...tage+jailbreak

I added my 2cents in that thread.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:34 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If all else fails, you could take the low-tech approach and just prop it up against a cup or something similar.

I suspect that relatively few people want to prop their Kindles up at all while reading, hence the lack of stands.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If all else fails, you could take the low-tech approach and just prop it up against a cup or something similar.

I suspect that relatively few people want to prop their Kindles up at all while reading, hence the lack of stands.
Often I drink hot chocolate or eat a sandwich while reading so have been trying the 'propping up' for a while, which was why I wanted a stand-case.

While googling for recommendations, came across many asking the same question on forums such as Reddit, mostly because they read in bed. They'd also experienced the inverted landscape issue.

Have been reading through the Jailbreak link posted above (thanks) and have not yet seen a compelling reason to do this, for me, anyway. Will read the entire thread, but at the moment am considering something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01NB9G1...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Have several of these listed, but this one appeals because of the (to me) pretty colour. Am hoping to use it with the PW2 in its cover. Has anyone had experience with one? What did you think? Finding it when needed might be an annoyance, but I'll put it in my reader accessories bag.

Would love some feedback about these please.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:53 AM   #12
BookCat
C L J

I'm infuriated by the response I've received from the seller.

My original message:

"I bought this item because of the pretty cats on a wall design. I wanted to be able to prop up my paperwhite in landscape, as this is how I prefer reading. However, when I do this the page is upside down.

As this wasn't a cheap cover, could you please tell me if there's a remedy for this, or maybe send one which does the job?

Regards,"

Their reply:

"We are so sorry for this inconvenience. You know, the reading page of kindle paperwhite is not flipped with your viewing angle. So this cover has no quality problems. If you want to be able to prop up your kindle paperwhite in landscape, we recommend that you choose another cover style in our store. you could search it by following ASIN: B07F2VDQRB. We will provide you 50% discount.
If you have any other idea, please feel free to contact us, we will always be here with you.
We are looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards.
OST Service Team"

The one they recommend is in PORTRAIT, not landscape. And I expected a FULL refund. Off to WAR!
Old 05-30-2019, 06:16 AM   #13
BookCat
C L J

I'm dealing with a Chinese company and suspect their English isn't wonderful, so I replied:

"I am disgusted by your response. This case is not fit for purpose!

I bought it to stand the reader in LANDSCAPE, which it does not do because the text is UPSIDE DOWN! Please learn what is meant by 'landscape'.

Therefore, the case cannot do what you claim and I expect a FULL REFUND!"

Don't they actually put a Paperwhite into their covers when designing them? It would be handy if they made sure the cover worked.

Last edited by BookCat; 05-30-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:06 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I hope you get a favourable outcome. If you bought this case from Amazon, I'd contact Amazon customer service and request a refund.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #15
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The way those cases are designed means the device can't be propped. They would need the swivel option that many tablet covers use. Since some Kindle models limit the screen rotation to only one direction, unless you can put the Kindle in the device "upside down" they simply won't work correctly.

If you could put the Kindle in the case upside down, the fold edge would end up on the right side. It would be like holding a book upside down, binding wise.

The 2018 Oasis can rotate all 4 ways, so a cover like the one posted could be used. You manually change the orientation, then the device screen flips as you turn the device.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
case, landscape mode, pw2, stand