Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #121
lee.hauser
lee.hauser began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That indicates that there is an issue with the NickelMenu/KFMon install. A reinstall of the KFMon install package from the first message in the One-Click Install Packages for KOReader & Plato using the appropriate script in the second message is probably the easiest route.
Thank you, David! That's exactly what I needed. I'll keep the files on my laptop for future upgrades.
lee.hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 05:10 PM   #122
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The issue with files not being closed before a USB connect is not fixed in this release. The recommendation to reboot before a USB connect or connecting from Home/Books is still a workaround if you run into this issue.
I finally got the dreaded corruption while importing 50+ books yesterday. I restored from backup and didn't lose anything.

I added a reboot option to my NickelMenu so hopefully that will prevent a recurrence.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2023, 05:28 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee.hauser View Post
I'm relatively new to Kobo (Libra 2 specifically) and after the firmware update (right in the middle transferring a large number of books from Calibre to the device), my NickelMenu gives me a "generator error" instead of showing Koreader and Plato. I haven't seen anyone else complain about this, so I don't know if its unexpected behavior or not. Should I just reinstall?
You don't need KFMon. You can setup NickelMenu commands to run KOReader & Plato so you never have to reinstall after a firmware update.

Here is the file I have to launch KOReader via NickelMenu. It's in .adds/nm and it's called koreader.You can look in the same directory to see if there is a file for Plato and fix it accordingly.

Code:
# Launch KOReader via KFMon
# NOTE: .adds/nm/kfmon will generate this automatically
#menu_item : main : KOReader : kfmon     : koreader.png

# Launch KOReader directly via NM (>= KOReader 2020.05)
menu_item : main : KOReader2 : cmd_spawn : quiet : exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 05:30 PM   #124
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I finally got the dreaded corruption while importing 50+ books yesterday. I restored from backup and didn't lose anything.

I added a reboot option to my NickelMenu so hopefully that will prevent a recurrence.
Were you at the home screen when you plugged in your Kobo?
Old 09-15-2023, 05:35 PM   #125
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Were you at the home screen when you plugged in your Kobo?
Yes. I'd just gotten past import, used NickelMenu to re-connect to finish up the process (loading subtitles, setting fonts, etc). Then when I ejected, I suddenly got generic covers on some of the title page books. Uh-oh. Then I connected a third time and the database reported as corrupt.

I figure it was either the import process or the sync process (I noticed the sync thing spinning whenever I eject) that kept the database in-use.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 09-15-2023 at 05:37 PM.
Advert
Old 09-15-2023, 05:37 PM   #126
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Yes. I'd just gotten past import, used NickelMenu to re-connect to finish up the process (loading subtitles, fonts, etc). Then when I ejected, I suddenly got generic covers on some of the title page books. Uh-oh. Then I connected a third time and the database reported as corrupt.

So I figure it was either the import process or the sync process (it usually syncs whenever I eject) that kept the database in-use.
Maybe that's why I never get a corrupted database. I never sync. The only time I've synced to Kobo was when I got my Aura H2O.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:40 PM   #127
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Sync was mentioned a few pages before as a possible culprit, yeah.

I haven't gotten any corruptions in the last few months, so I think it might've been the number of books had something to do with it - at most, I'd loaded one or two new books at a time. This time I loaded them in batches of 20-30 books.
Old 09-15-2023, 05:53 PM   #128
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

I haven't gotten any corruptions in the last few months, so I think it might've been the number of books had something to do with it - at most, I'd loaded one or two new books at a time. This time I loaded them in batches of 20-30 books.
I've loaded a hundred or more in one batch. No corruption. But then I also never sync.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:21 PM   #129
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've loaded a hundred or more in one batch. No corruption. But then I also never sync.
I've done 500 in a batch and had to reboot twice because it timed out after getting a third of the way through them each time and my database wasn't corrupted.

I think there are multiple possible culprits. So far the candidates are:
  • sync that doesn't finish
  • open book, and it is worse if it is a DRM book
  • possibly automatic background cover generation
  • ???

I'm sure the first two can cause it. I think the third one is hard to trigger and is even harder if you let calibre preload covers.

I'm also sure that the first two are not the only culprits.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2023, 06:27 PM   #130
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I'm sure the first two can cause it. I think the third one is hard to trigger and is even harder if you let calibre preload covers.

I'm also sure that the first two are not the only culprits.
I have KoboTouchExtended driver set to upload covers, but if I'm watching the main menu I can often see it flip from generic covers to the uploaded ones.
Old 09-15-2023, 06:53 PM   #131
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

With the previous firmware, the most I've loaded was 8 eBooks at one time. With this firmware, so far the most I've loaded is 3.
Old 09-15-2023, 07:34 PM   #132
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

For the next version of calibre, will it know bout this firmware?
Old 09-15-2023, 07:37 PM   #133
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For the next version of calibre, will it know bout this firmware?
Yes: https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2034954
Old 09-22-2023, 07:24 PM   #134
acrobat
acrobat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20
Issu USB connect

Has anyone had a USB connection problem with kobo version 4.38.21908?
I reset, changed cable, PC, impossible to see the e-reader as an external drive. I don't understand
acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 06:05 AM   #135
Vladi69
Enthusiast
Vladi69 began at the beginning.

Device: PW3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I updated Calibre after that the firmware update reset my Kobo Glo HD (no book left on it), so then I installed patches and NickelMenu awaiting fo Calibre updated. This morning I sent a few books via Calibre, no error, but no one is in the library.

Any idea?

EDIT: I was doing it in the wrong way. After pushing books it is necessary to immediately disconnect USB cable from PC in order to launch import activity, and not power off the device

Last edited by Vladi69; 09-23-2023 at 11:12 AM. Reason: PROBLEM SOLVED
Vladi69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release