Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #121
kabir
kabir began at the beginning.

Device: Jetbook Lite
Has anyone tried to flash Jetbook lite with some Chinese firmware? It seems the Chinese version (M218C+) is slightly different. It has audio jack and it comes with a cover. But I couldn't find a firmware for M218C+. I wonder if M218A's firmware will do.
kabir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #122
Yayafava
Yayafava is on a distinguished road

Device: JBL
I'm trying to decide between jb and jbl

I'm new to thinking about ebooks and all this info has my head spinning. From reading this thread (after getting a little confused with the firmware talk lol) I'm double-checking on differences.

What I am gathering is that the difference is that the JBL give you DRM support and uses replaceable batteries (AA). Am I correct or are there other differences that might effect my decision?

Okay what exactly does DRM support mean? I know it has something to do with purchased books (Barnes & Noble I think I read). Does that mean one can buy ebooks from B&N and download them on the JBL?

You guys sound soooo knowledgeable about all this and I'm lost after reading this forum for hours now. : )

I just want to figure out which route to take. Help!
Yayafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #123
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Yayafava I would say it partly depends on where you want to get your books.

If your fine getting them from Project Gutenburg, manybooks.net etc then you really don't need DRM support.

If your planning on buying the latest releases from Barnes and Noble, or similar ebook store, then DRM support would be pretty vital.

BTW DRM = Digital Rights Management, in short a form of copy protection.
Only lets you read that book on 1 device.

We were all new here once, so don't let it scare you. In 6 months you'll be sounding like an old pro yourself.

I suspect in a few more weeks the Jetbook will have an updated firmware that will handle DRM.

I know it costs a bit less, but by the time you pay for rechargeable battery's and charger for the JBL the price is almost the same as for the Jetbook. So to me it comes down to if you travel a lot, want to be able to swap battery's, or not. Or are you going to be home every day or 3 to recharge the Jetbook?

Personally after some 6 months I'm still very pleased with my Jetbook and battery life with the L-ion battery. Only you can decide what is going to be right for you.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #124
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
BTW DRM = Digital Rights Management, in short a form of copy protection.
I'm a newby here, too. As I understand it there are at least two types of DRM. The Jetbook Lite has eReader (PDB) DRM which allows you to read books purchased from Barnes and Noble and several other retailers. Unlike some other readers (like Sony's, B&N Nook, Aluratek Libre and several others), the Jetbook Lite doesn't yet have Adobe Digital Editions DRM which allows you to read books checked out from public libraries. The original Jetbook doesn't have any kind of DRM.

Last edited by PodPeople; 02-10-2010 at 11:50 AM.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #125
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Updates

You are correct in your assumptions

The original jetbook will be update for B&N DRM shortly just like the Jetbook lite

Neither of them support Adobe DRM and will not be out in the short term, no one has given an estimate about when that will be available.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2010, 04:27 AM   #126
Yayafava
Yayafava is on a distinguished road

Device: JBL
Well, I decided to take advantage of the sale over at NewEgg and bought the JBL for $115. The price convinced me that I would get very discouraged if I was traveling and lost battery life. : ) So my next purchase will be a battery charger and rechargeable batteries.
Yayafava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #127
shelbster
shelbster began at the beginning.

Device: none
I tried M218A,B,and C on Lite. Doesn't work.
shelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:47 PM   #128
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
Well... four months after my first post, I finally ordered the Jetbook Lite last Saturday for $113 and free shipping. Now, I'm just waiting for it to arrive and hope I didn't make a mistake in choosing a reader.
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #129
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiGal777 View Post
Well... four months after my first post, I finally ordered the Jetbook Lite last Saturday for $113 and free shipping. Now, I'm just waiting for it to arrive and hope I didn't make a mistake in choosing a reader.
Congratulations! You made the right choice.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:28 PM   #130
SciFiGal777
SciFiGal777 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Formerly had Jetbook Lite
Thank you! I'll post my first impressions on here when it arrives.
SciFiGal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #131
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
[Comments removed; double post.]

Please do not double post your message in more than one thread.

You may locate his comments here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...329#post855329

Thank you.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-03-2010 at 05:41 AM.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:27 PM   #132
sn2002bt
sn2002bt began at the beginning.

Device: Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtq View Post
I have an Aluratek Libre shipped with firmware v0.14e patch v13 about a month and a half ago.

Currently I have the Libre flashed with Chinese firmware v0.44 M218B from the jcnip.com site. I could not find any Aluratek ebook firmware from Aluratek site before I did the flash but had downloaded the Jetbook firmware just in case.

I also went check the Aluratek site from time to time after the flash thinking it is better to have an Aluratek firmware backup. A couple of weeks ago I downloaded an Aluratek ebook firmware v0.15e with the bin file dated Nov 16 2009 file size 28,705 kb. The current Aluratek firmware at the Aluratek site is v0.15h with file size 31,535 kb plus the one page PDF instruction. The v0.15e is smaller and did not come with instruction.

These firmware downloads does not contain release notes about what has been changed, fixed or enhanced so we don't know if Aluratek added the "anti-cross-dipping" protection in v0.15e or v0.15h or simply fixed bugs in v0.15e.

Since I need the Chinese firmware functionality to read those Chinese ebooks in the proprietary format I have never tried to install the Aluratek v0.15e firmware. If any of you want to try v0.15e I'll see if I can find that.

The wishful thinking is the Libre v0.15e firmware does not check if the original firmware/other hardware signature is Aluratek and it can be applied to a Jetbook/Aluratek hardware with either a Jetbook or Libre v0.14e firmware, once the reader has Libre v0.15e firmware it can be upgraded to v0.15h. Similarly to migrate back to Jetbook firmware, first apply (maybe downgrade) Libre v0.15e, then apply the Jetbook firmware. I have no plan to change the Chinese firmware on mine now but think it might work for those who couldn't get back to Jetbook firmware (the big IF is whether Libre v0.15e checks for Aluratek signature).

My God, how did you flash Libre to Chinese firmware? Please illustrate in detailed step? My Libre doesn't read the Chinese firmware 044 file which you used at all, even after I changed the name to aluretek standard firmware name. Please tell me how you achieve this? Thanks.
sn2002bt is offline   Reply With Quote