Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-23-2023, 05:52 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
How to relocate the full-text index, while keeping calibre library unmoved?

About two months ago, I discovered full-text search capability in Calibre. This is such a wonderful feature.

My Linux laptop has a 1 TB internal SSD. I have an external (USB plug in) 2 TB HDD. My calibre library resides on the 2TB HDD, and, as I just discovered, so does the full-text index/database.
Is there a way to relocate the full-text index/database to my SSD?

Seeing the search results for the titles is fast, even on the HDD, but it’s much slower to find example sentences where the keyword(s) in the books are found. So I think having the full-text index on the SSD will speed things up.

Last edited by droopy; 07-31-2023 at 06:57 PM.
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 09:36 PM   #2
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Is there anything similar to a symlink/NTFS hardlink for Linux filesystems? That's what I would try.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2023, 09:43 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
You could try the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH Environment variable You'll have to move the metadata.db file too. Untested.

Or you could do it with a symlink; i.e. move the full-text-search.db file to your SSD, and create a symlink (named 'full-text-search.db') to it in your library folder. Tested on Windows - but it did not improve performance - still significantly slower than Windows and X1 with their search indices on a spinning rust drive.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-23-2023 at 10:19 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 01:39 AM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
X1 with their search indices on a spinning rust drive.

BR
https://www.voidtools.com/forum/view...hp?f=12&t=9787

did you try EV alpha? Been using it for a while now, it's amazing
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 03:48 AM   #5
Dsharma
Enthusiast
Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dsharma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
@BetterRed has a great point about trying the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH environment variable or symlink method. Do keep in mind though, that it might not yield the speed improvement you're hoping for, as BR tested it on Windows with no noticeable difference.

If you're comfortable with it, give it a shot, and remember to backup everything before proceeding. It's always a good idea to have a fallback plan.

Also, I second @Comfy.n's suggestion. The EV alpha tool seems promising for performance improvement, if you haven't given that a shot yet.
Dsharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2023, 04:06 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post

Can I assume you've used X1.

BR
Old 06-26-2023, 04:20 AM   #7
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Can I assume you've used X1.

BR
I've seen you mention it before, but never gave it a try, actually.
WhereIsIt used to be my choice for catalogues, until I found this new Ev
I'll keep in mind to try X1!
Old 06-26-2023, 04:44 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
I've seen you mention it before, but never gave it a try, actually.
WhereIsIt used to be my choice for catalogues, until I found this new Ev
I'll keep in mind to try X1!
X1 targeted at corporations, $80/per annum/per seat.

Last time I looked the demo was rather limited in time, scope and size. A former client (major law firm) gifted me a lifetime subscription.

BR
Old 06-26-2023, 06:14 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's a limitation of how sqlite does the sentence finding, it has to do a full scan of the text to find the sentences.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 06:55 PM   #10
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You could try the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH Environment variable You'll have to move the metadata.db file too. Untested.

Or you could do it with a symlink; i.e. move the full-text-search.db file to your SSD, and create a symlink (named 'full-text-search.db') to it in your library folder. Tested on Windows - but it did not improve performance - still significantly slower than Windows and X1 with their search indices on a spinning rust drive.

BR
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsharma View Post
@BetterRed has a great point about trying the CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH environment variable or symlink method. Do keep in mind though, that it might not yield the speed improvement you're hoping for, as BR tested it on Windows with no noticeable difference.

If you're comfortable with it, give it a shot, and remember to backup everything before proceeding. It's always a good idea to have a fallback plan.

Also, I second @Comfy.n's suggestion. The EV alpha tool seems promising for performance improvement, if you haven't given that a shot yet.

Dear all,
Thank you for your responses.

Dear BetterRed,
I'm on Linux. Do you think I'll face a similar fate as you if I try the symlink suggestion?
Can I ask why you haven't tried you CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH variable suggestion?

Dear Comfy.n,
I'm on Linux. What's EV Alpha and will it help someone on Linux? I checked your link, and I see exe files. I've concluded it's for Windows.

Dear Dsharma,
Betterred tried the symlink method but not CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH suggestion.
Old 07-31-2023, 06:56 PM   #11
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That's a limitation of how sqlite does the sentence finding, it has to do a full scan of the text to find the sentences.
dear Kovid,
thank you for your response.
Question 1: Were you talking to me? Or some other poster here?
Question 2: I've read and read what you wrote, but I'm not sure what the implication of your reply is. Could you please tell me what my takeaway should be?
Old 07-31-2023, 10:59 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@droopy - I only keep a calibre FTS database on my Test library, so my comments mainly relate to using symlinks to calibre library metadata databases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
I'm on Linux. Do you think I'll face a similar fate as you if I try the symlink suggestion?
Possibly, calibre loads the database into RAM at startup - that's why metadata searches, sorts etc are fast. On Windows/NTFS using a symlink to a database file on a Toshiba M1 NVMe SSD didn't improve performance over the SATA II WD Black HDD where my libraries are stored. If you have a faster SSD and slower HDD I suppose it might make a difference - suck it and see.

Quote:
Can I ask why you haven't tried you CALIBRE_OVERRIDE_DATABASE_PATH variable suggestion?
I have multiple libraries (because I have disparate custom columns), however the env-var approach assumes a single library. Besides I see no reason why it would perform any better or worse than a symlink that references an SSD resident database.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2023 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:17 AM   #13
Comfy.n

Quote:
Dear Comfy.n,
I'm on Linux. What's EV Alpha and will it help someone on Linux? I checked your link, and I see exe files. I've concluded it's for Windows.
Hi @droopy,

I mentioned Voidtools Everything (hence 'VE' instead of EV, how I like to call it...), because we were talking about search speed, in general. It's Windows-only, indeed.

FTS-wise, I don't see much difference in speed between my main Calibre install on a SSD, and a portable instance I have on an external HDD.

One way I know to obtain faster FTS results, on a large library, is to search a restricted subset of books. For instance, type on main calibre search box tags:fiction, then open the FTS dialogue and check "Restrict searched books" before running a query.

Last edited by Comfy.n; 08-01-2023 at 05:56 AM.
Old 08-01-2023, 01:19 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
dear Kovid,
thank you for your response.
Question 1: Were you talking to me? Or some other poster here?
Question 2: I've read and read what you wrote, but I'm not sure what the implication of your reply is. Could you please tell me what my takeaway should be?
the implication is no you cannot speed up the sentence finding part of it significantly.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote