Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #1
woutwolf
woutwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS2
Kindle coversion

Hello, I want to read a kindle book on my Sony ereader, OR on my iPhone XR.
However, I do not know how to convert kindle to epub. I have a MAC.
On the iPhone, I downloaded the kindle app. With this app, I can read kindle books. However, I cannot have this app (for reasons too difficult to explain. It has to do with the fact that, with this app, I can buy all kinds of books on amazon. To be short, I need an app that does not allow me to buy new books. So I would be very happy with a 'read only' app. Does that exist? An app for iPhone that allows me to read a kindle ebook that I have bought via the MAC? Or else, is it possible somehow to convert the kindle ebook to epub, and then put it in my Sony ereader?
Thank you for helping me out.
woutwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:48 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can install the Amazon Kindle app for your iPhone. It does not allow you to purchase eBooks. You do not have to convert.

As to converting to ePub, you'll need to read this thread. You will also need to install Calibre. See the Calibre forum if you need any help there. Also you'll need to install the DeDRM plugin for Calibre that you can get at Apprentice Alf's blog.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #3
woutwolf
woutwolf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS2
Thank you for your help, JSWolf

I installed the Amazon Kindle App, but unfortunately it does not work for me. I tried to put the iPhone settings to: not allow in-app purchases. Maybe due to this (or maybe it would also be so without that) I indeed could not buy books. BUT as soon as I 'touch' a book, a preview is put in the library. And these fragments are quite long. Difficult to explain why, but I just cannot have that.

So again I want to ask: does anyone know of a 'read only' kindle app?

I guess that won't exist, so I am going to follow you ePub converting tips, and thanks again for helping me out, JSWolf!
woutwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by woutwolf View Post
Thank you for your help, JSWolf

I installed the Amazon Kindle App, but unfortunately it does not work for me. I tried to put the iPhone settings to: not allow in-app purchases. Maybe due to this (or maybe it would also be so without that) I indeed could not buy books. BUT as soon as I 'touch' a book, a preview is put in the library. And these fragments are quite long. Difficult to explain why, but I just cannot have that.

So again I want to ask: does anyone know of a 'read only' kindle app?

I guess that won't exist, so I am going to follow you ePub converting tips, and thanks again for helping me out, JSWolf!
Nothing can read Kindle books in their native format besides the Amazon Kindle app. If you don't want to use the app, you'll have to remove the DRM and convert.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote