Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Upgrading to Kindle without Special Offer

If you upgrade to Kindle without Special Offer,

What would you see on the screen when you turn it on or wake it up?

What would you see on the screen after leaving the device idles for a while and goes to sleep?
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julius Caesar View Post
If you upgrade to Kindle without Special Offer,

What would you see on the screen when you turn it on or wake it up?
Nothing. Or rather: you won't see an ad, but the Kindle will directly resume where you left before - if you were reading, you will continue reading on the page where you left; if the Kindle was showing the main screen before it went to sleep, you will see the main screen, etc.

Quote:
What would you see on the screen after leaving the device idles for a while and goes to sleep?
You'd see the "standard" screen savers shipped with the Kindle. For the Kindle 4/Touch/Paperwhite, they will look like this.

PS: You can modify the screensavers using NiLuJe's screensaver hack: K2/K3/K4 / Touch/Paperwhite
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
**comments deleted**

Sorry. I made the mistake of thinking I was in the Kindle Fire forum. I'm sure ixtab's response is much more relevant than mine was.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-29-2013 at 09:43 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #4
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Nothing. Or rather: you won't see an ad, but the Kindle will directly resume where you left before - if you were reading, you will continue reading on the page where you left; if the Kindle was showing the main screen before it went to sleep, you will see the main screen, etc.

You'd see the "standard" screen savers shipped with the Kindle. For the Kindle 4/Touch/Paperwhite, they will look like this.

PS: You can modify the screensavers using NiLuJe's screensaver hack: K2/K3/K4 / Touch/Paperwhite
Thanks. I thought I would see the cover of the book I read before the device goes to sleep. If it just screen savers, then I wouldn't want to upgrade.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:43 AM   #5
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
You know, I keep getting fooled this week because the Special Offer is an Anne Stuart book (at a discount) and I keep thinking for a second that I'm reading the Anne Stuart book whenever I pick up the Kindle because the ad looks soooo much like a cover.

I just went and bought the darn Anne Stuart book because I guess advertising works
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Thanks. I thought I would see the cover of the book I read before the device goes to sleep. If it just screen savers, then I wouldn't want to upgrade.
You can have it do this (cover of current read book) if you complete the screensaver hack that ixtab pointed to...of course you will need to jailbreak your device first so you can install the hack. This hack ONLY works if your device IS NOT special offers.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
You can have it do this (cover of current read book) if you complete the screensaver hack that ixtab pointed to...of course you will need to jailbreak your device first so you can install the hack. This hack ONLY works if your device IS NOT special offers.
It also does that if you run JBPatch. I had to check, cause I was pretty sure I hadn't installed the screensaver hack.

Of course, since I have one of the auto-wake magnetic covers I only see the book cover for a split second, and I don't like the cover view on the home page, so it's not a feature that really interests me. (shrugs)
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post
It also does that if you run JBPatch. I had to check, cause I was pretty sure I hadn't installed the screensaver hack.
What...not everyone has a Paperwhite?!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #9
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
... I just went and bought the darn Anne Stuart book because I guess advertising works
After you bought the book, did you ever see that same book advertized? I was always curious about that.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SampleAndy View Post

Of course, since I have one of the auto-wake magnetic covers I only see the book cover for a split second, and I don't like the cover view on the home page, so it's not a feature that really interests me. (shrugs)
Errm... nope. JBPatch has never included any such functionality, not sure what you are talking about.

Last edited by ixtab; 08-31-2013 at 07:51 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
We have been asking for this feature for EVER, but Amazon doesn't listen. It should be a built in feature that doesn't require jailbreaking or any patching, but don't expect Amazon to ever add it. They won't even let you add your own screen savers or fonts or set the margins differently from the three settings they provide.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #12
SampleAndy
Addict
SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SampleAndy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KFire HD, KFire, KTD 3g, KT, K4B, K4S, K3g, K3g SO, K2, K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Errm... nope. JBPatch has never included any such functionality, not sure what you are talking about.
Item 7 on the list here states:
Book Cover View on Home screen and in Collections (FW 5.1.x only)

True, it doesn't say the sleep screen, but I read it in a hurry. That's where I got my misinformation.

I'm still pretty sure I didn't install a screensaver hack because it's not worth it for the fraction of a second you can see it. (shrugs) Could it have come with something else?

As far as I remember, I installed JailBreak, developer certificates, Kindlet JailBreak, JBPatch, Collections Manager, KUAL, KTerm and KindleExplorer.

OK... I still don't remember it, but I just found a file called info.txt, claiming to be from a screen savers hack. There's a link to here and a notice that it's at version 0.7.N. Color me confused.

I just found the two zip files, separate from my other customizations. Guess we need to just chalk it up to a senior moment.

Last edited by SampleAndy; 08-31-2013 at 09:45 PM.
SampleAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 PM   #13
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
After you bought the book, did you ever see that same book advertized? I was always curious about that.
No! Now they are advertising the Kindle ios app that I already have.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #14
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Unrelated question. If the With Ads version is upgraded to the non-ads version by paying the $20, is this 'state' linked with the person's account, or with the device?
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With the device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote