Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #1
jaarons
jaarons began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
USB driver for the PRS 500

I was wondering where to get the Windows XP drivers for the PRS500. I've lost the CD and have just bought a new computer. I can see on the site where to download the library software and the firmware update, but not the USB drivers.

Can someone tell me where to download it, or alternatively upload their copy of the USB driver to rapidshare or somewhere similar? Just plugging it in doesn't automatically install it, sadly...

Although, what I'd really love is an ISO of the original disc. If that's possible.

Thanks in advance,
Joel.
jaarons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Try these links:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...,30&mdl=PRS500
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu-list.pl?mdl=PRS500
and
http://prs-500-usb-driver.software.informer.com/

http://www.driverfiles.net/Other/Son...9,1154,3,.html

And this site seems to have all the Sony drivers:
http://sony.mydriversdownload.com/

Last edited by Patricia; 07-02-2009 at 10:04 PM.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Oh, and welcome to the forum, Joel.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
jaarons

Thanks for these Patricia. Unfortunately they all point to the same thing - firmware update for the OS on the device. The links don't help me when it comes to the USB connection to the PC.

Any other suggestions? Is Driver Detective really that safe?
Old 07-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
jaarons

Ok well I worked it out.

Anyone else with the same problem - go and download calibre. Use the drivers they give in the Drivers folder after you install the program.

And there you go.

Thanks Patricia for your advice.
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
pazuzu667
pazuzu667 began at the beginning.

Device: sony ereaderprs-500
i tied calibre and no folder had driveres in it after i instaled the program...any idea where i can get usb drivers on the net?
pazuzu667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:47 AM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazuzu667 View Post
i tied calibre and no folder had driveres in it after i instaled the program...any idea where i can get usb drivers on the net?
You have to try old version of Calibre.
I do not remember when they stopped to support PRS-500
Let's find out
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140590
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=116575
Quote:
Calibre 0.6.55 was the last one to support the PRS 500.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:12 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have a Sony USB driver in my Program Files. It's time stamped 2007.

The full path is C:\Program Files\Sony\Sony Reader\USBDriver, and there are 3 files: PRSUSB.sys, PRSUSB.cat, PRSUSB.inf.

If anyone can confirm this is the one for the PRS-500, I'd be happy to share a copy of these files.

*I started out with a 500, but I didn't think this laptop was quite as old as that...could be though, it's about 5 years old. Or it could be the software from a later version still had the driver for backward compatibility.

I also have back copies of Calibre somewhere from when it was called LIBPRS (or something close to that). They're on CD, so I'd have to dig them out, but I know I have backups somewhere.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 03-04-2012 at 04:55 AM.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The USB driver for the 500 is 32-bit only. So if you have a 64-bit Windows, it won't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote