Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-28-2023, 03:41 AM   #1
Stable
Stable began at the beginning.

Device: none
xml:lang error for IngramSpark

I'm trying to add an ebook onto IngramSpark using their book creation tool. I made the original epub in Sigil. When I get to the content files validation section I get the following errors:
Quote:
(RSC-005): /index_split_000.html: Error while parsing file: value of attribute "lang" is invalid; must be an RFC 3066 language identifier
(RSC-005): /index_split_000.html: Error while parsing file: value of attribute "xml:lang" is invalid; must be an RFC 3066 language identifier
(RSC-005): /index_split_001.html: Error while parsing file: value of attribute "lang" is invalid; must be an RFC 3066 language identifier
(RSC-005): /index_split_001.html: Error while parsing file: value of attribute "xml:lang" is invalid; must be an RFC 3066 language identifier
But in index_split_000.html (and 001) I have: <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en">

And as far as I can see "en" is a 3066 identifier. Does anyone have any clue what's going wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Stable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:54 AM   #2
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It's possible there is another instance of "xml:lang" on the page. It could be in a <span> surrounding foreign words?
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2023, 05:38 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
And as far as I can see "en" is a 3066 identifier. Does anyone have any clue what's going wrong?
Maybe the tool expects a language code with a region code. Depending on your region, try en-US or en-GB. Or it wants both lang and xml:lang attributes:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-US" xml:lang="en-US">

Last edited by Doitsu; 08-28-2023 at 05:41 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:00 AM   #4
Stable

That's definitely the only instance, I'll give Doitsu's suggestions a go. Thanks both!
Old 08-29-2023, 01:42 AM   #5
Stable

Unfortunately I've tried all the combinations of lang, xml:lang and "en-GB" or just "en" and still get the same errors.
Advert
Old 08-29-2023, 07:40 AM   #6
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Can you post an example html page???
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:59 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
There are newer 3 letter and 4 letter variants for language names in later specs but as far as I know, no one uses them for well established languages. Something strange is going on? Could you have an invisible character someplace in those attribute values?
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:02 PM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Unfortunately I've tried all the combinations of lang, xml:lang and "en-GB" or just "en" and still get the same errors.
Maybe checking the whole epub with EPUBCheck will display additional warnings and/or errors?
Shameless plug: I created EPUBCheck plugins for Sigil and Calibre.
If you don't want to install Calibre or Sigil, there's also a stand-alone checker by a German software developer.
pagina EPUB-Checker. (Click the EN tab.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 03:42 PM   #9
azimuth
Enthusiast
azimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with othersazimuth plays well with others

Try removing it from the HTML pages, and placing the language identifier info inside the OPF file instead. Though we have had our epub XHTML pages similar as you now have it shown (for past epubs) while our latest epub is set as follows (verified on EpubChecker and live on Kobo).

HTML pages:
Code:
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xmlns:epub="http://www.idpf.org/2007/ops">
OPF file:
Code:
<dc:language id="language">en</dc:language>
Read this web link for help info at I.S.:
IngramSpark Help
azimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:10 PM   #10
Stable

Thanks for the help everyone, it's much appreciated. I found the problem. Unfortunately it lay on my side of the keyboard - I was editing the wrong html file. I may never have noticed without your helpful debugging advice. Still... days wasted to my idiocy.

Anyway, the ebook is completed and passed the checks. Thank goodness.

Tags
error, ingramspark, xml