Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-22-2020, 01:15 PM   #31
lisainIL
lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Just as a note, the Alf plug-in works with Kindle for Mac version 1.26 or earlier. That is likely what your problem is. I'm glad the other method worked for you,
That's the version I was using. So that's not the problem. It has something to do with Kindle for Mac 1.26 on Big Sur. Because it works fine on Catalina.
lisainIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:03 PM   #32
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Just as a note, the Alf plug-in works with Kindle for Mac version 1.26 or earlier. That is likely what your problem is ...
K4Mac 1.26.1 works fine with Alf when run on macOS up thru Catalina. And if you disable KFX, you can go up to 1.30.0. More here

However, Alf appears unable to retrieve the key when K4Mac is running on Big Sur.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #33
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
K4Mac 1.26.1 works fine with Alf when run on macOS up thru Catalina. And if you disable KFX, you can go up to 1.30.0. More here

However, Alf appears unable to retrieve the key when K4Mac is running on Big Sur.
Certainly this isn't the first time that there has been this problem with a major OS upgrade.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:16 PM   #34
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Certainly this isn't the first time that there has been this problem with a major OS upgrade.
I never said it was!

Perhaps I misunderstood you, but didn't you suggest that the problem was that Alf requires K4Mac 1.26 or earlier? I was just pointing out that Alf works with K4Mac up thru 1.30.0 when run on Catalina and earlier.

But Big Sur seems to be having a problem retrieving the key when K4Mac is running on Big Sur. This is per the discussion on GitHub.

ETA: I am curious, however, if the new M1 chip that lisainIL has is part of the problem. If anyone is running Big Sur on an Intel Mac and is willing to install K4Mac and see if it works with Calibre/Alf, inquiring minds would be very interested in the results

Last edited by odamizu; 11-22-2020 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #35
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I never said it was!

Perhaps I misunderstood you, but didn't you suggest that the problem was that Alf requires K4Mac 1.26 or earlier? I was just pointing out that Alf works with K4Mac up thru 1.30.0 when run on Catalina and earlier.

But Big Sur seems to be having a problem retrieving the key when K4Mac is running on Big Sur. This is per the discussion on GitHub.

ETA: I am curious, however, if the new M1 chip that lisainIL has is part of the problem. If anyone is running Big Sur on an Intel Mac and is willing to install K4Mac and see if it works with Calibre/Alf, inquiring minds would be very interested in the results
I was just commenting on your last line, i.e. that the plug in couldn't find the key file.
Advert
Old 11-23-2020, 01:24 PM   #36
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
I was just commenting on your last line, i.e. that the plug in couldn't find the key file.
Ah. That wasn't a complaint or criticism of Apple. I was just pointing to the problem as identified on the GitHub discussion in hopes that any Mac devs reading this might take a look

Last edited by odamizu; 11-24-2020 at 12:30 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2020, 11:20 AM   #37
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
I never said it was!

apprenticeharper has released a fix for Big Sur version 6.8.1

Quote:

This releases fixes a problem with retrieving the Kindle for Mac key under Mac OS X Big Sur. The Obok plugin hasn't been changed.

If you are already using 6.8.0 you only need this update if you use Kindle for Mac under Mac OS X Big Sur.
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #38
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
apprenticeharper has released a fix for Big Sur version 6.8.1
Yes, as well as another beta v7.0.0.b3 that includes the Big Sur fix plus other fixes for Calibre 5.x
Old 11-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #39
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I'm running Big Sur on an Intel MacBook Air. The latest beta does not remove DRM with my Kindle for Mac (I am running 1.26.1, if that's an issue!) I have a backup Calibre 4.23, so I'm good so far.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:37 PM   #40
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I'm running Big Sur on an Intel MacBook Air. The latest beta does not remove DRM with my Kindle for Mac (I am running 1.26.1, if that's an issue!) I have a backup Calibre 4.23, so I'm good so far.
Bummer about the beta.

With Big Sur + Calibre 4.23 + K4Mac 1.26.1
  • Are you using chmod -x to download KF8 or are you downloading KFX?
  • Did 6.8.0 always work or did you need to update Alf to 6.8.1?

Thank you
Old 11-28-2020, 06:41 PM   #41
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bummer about the beta.

With Big Sur + Calibre 4.23 + K4Mac 1.26.1
  • Are you using chmod -x to download KF8 or are you downloading KFX?
  • Did 6.8.0 always work or did you need to update Alf to 6.8.1?

Thank you
I also have a Surface Go 2 that runs Windows 10. Since Calibre went to 5.x, I've been using Calibre 4.23 on the Surface Go. I have not tried Calibre 4.23 on my Mac yet, but I will. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
It works on my MacBook pro running Big Sur with Calibre 5.6 and DeDRM 7.0 b3, but I use download and put my kindle serial numbers in the plugin.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #43
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
It works on my MacBook pro running Big Sur with Calibre 5.6 and DeDRM 7.0 b3, but I use download and put my kindle serial numbers in the plugin.
Ah - you must be using Method 3 from here. I don't have a Kindle. I have an Onyx Boox Nova 2 which allows me to read books on the Kindle and Nook Android apps, among others. Still, I like the idea of having my eBooks without DRM. I'll try Calibre 4.23 on my Mac soon and see how that goes. I can transfer my library and plugins from my Surface, and also upgrade on the Mac to Alf 6.81, and see if that works!
Old 11-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #44
odamizu
just an egg

I suspect it won't make a difference, but the developer who came up with the fix for Big Sur was running K4Mac 1.30 and Calibre 4.21.
Old 11-30-2020, 05:42 PM   #45
Inukami
Zealot
Inukami began at the beginning.

Device: Mac Pro 2013 & Mini 2018, iPad Mini 4, iPhone 11, iBooks, K4Mac/PC
I have a Mac Mini 2018 (without the M1 chip) so what is the best configuration I can use? I haven't updated to Big Sur yet..Do I need to update to Big Sur and also update Calibre, K4Mac and Alf?

Inukami
Inukami is offline   Reply With Quote