Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I always have to question the motives of a poster who brings up an Apple issue as to whether they are just anti-Apple. @gbm has several devices listed in his Device area, but none or from Apple. Besides, that article reads more like propaganda than an investigative report. My take is that Apple has always highly guarded and secured our data in the past, so I don’t worry about them on such matters...
I agree with you, especially on the last sentence. Apple is one of the most scrutinized companies out there with regard to how they use customer data. There are people out there that carefully analyze the data between Apple devices and the network. If they get caught with their hand in the cookie jar, so to speak, it's going to be major news.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:48 AM   #17
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
For those of you who have made the leap to Big Sur, any problems with Calibre or Alf? Thank you

Last edited by odamizu; 11-21-2020 at 12:50 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
None at all here (fingers crossed.). Works the same as it always has.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:34 PM   #19
lisainIL
lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
None at all here (fingers crossed.). Works the same as it always has.

Jim
Hello... I'm the one having trouble with Big Sur on the Mac mini M1... I know we're not supposed to get too technical here, but I was wondering if you could tell me what versions you're running of all the tools:
Kindle for Mac
Calibre
Alf Plugin
Feel free to private message me if you prefer. Or check out my thread in Alf Github.

Thanks in advance!
lisainIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:25 PM   #20
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
For those of you who have made the leap to Big Sur, any problems with Calibre or Alf? Thank you
No problem for me.
Advert
Old 11-21-2020, 03:27 PM   #21
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisainIL View Post
Hello... I'm the one having trouble with Big Sur on the Mac mini M1... I know we're not supposed to get too technical here, but I was wondering if you could tell me what versions you're running of all the tools:
Kindle for Mac
Calibre
Alf Plugin
Feel free to private message me if you prefer. Or check out my thread in Alf Github.

Thanks in advance!
What version of Calibre are you using? You might want to check the new version of DRM tool thread on the news forum.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #22
lisainIL
lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.lisainIL actually enjoys Vogon poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
No problem for me.
I'm having trouble... was wondering if you could tell me what versions you're running of all the tools:
Kindle for Mac
Calibre
Alf Plugin
Old 11-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #23
lisainIL

Quote:
What version of Calibre are you using? You might want to check the new version of DRM tool thread on the news forum.
I'm running:
Calibre = 4.23
Alf = 6.8
Kindle for Mac = 1.26.1

This set does not work on Mac mini M1 Big Sur.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:45 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm running:
Calibre = 4.23
Alf = 6.8
Kindle for Mac = 1.26.1

I download to my computer rather than use Kindle for Mac.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:20 PM   #25
lisainIL

Quote:
I download to my computer rather than use Kindle for Mac.
How? Using your Kindle?
Old 11-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #26
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
How? Using your Kindle?
See Method 3 here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371

Be sure to check Apprentice Alf's Blog or Apprentice Harper's GitHub for instructions on configuring support for books downloaded for an e-ink Kindle.

- - -

Has anyone on Big Sur gotten K4Mac to work with Calibre/Alf? Or just with "Download & transfer via USB"?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:53 AM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm running:
Calibre = 4.23
Alf = 6.8
Kindle for Mac = 1.26.1

Calibre 4.23
Alf - 6.8.0
downloaded via Amazon's content and devices page.

Just deleted a book and re-loaded it to make sure everything was still working. No problem. I haven't heard of any issues with the Kindle for Mac, but I would not be shocked if some files got moved around and that is causing problems. You do have to have a kindle device in order to download your content and for the alf plug in to work with it. Instructions are included in the plugin.
Old 11-22-2020, 10:22 AM   #28
lisainIL

Quote:
Calibre 4.23
Alf - 6.8.0
downloaded via Amazon's content and devices page.

Just deleted a book and re-loaded it to make sure everything was still working. No problem. I haven't heard of any issues with the Kindle for Mac, but I would not be shocked if some files got moved around and that is causing problems. You do have to have a kindle device in order to download your content and for the alf plug in to work with it. Instructions are included in the plugin.

I just did this method as well on Mac mini M1 Big Sur and it works fine. (Thanks for the tip, this is easier anyway!)
Old 11-22-2020, 10:24 AM   #29
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Calibre 4.12
Alf 6.2.2
Download books using the Content and Devices Amazon page.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #30
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm running:
Calibre = 4.23
Alf = 6.8
Kindle for Mac = 1.26.1

Just as a note, the Alf plug-in works with Kindle for Mac version 1.26 or earlier. That is likely what your problem is. I'm glad the other method worked for you,