Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #46
allowingtoo
Bibliophile
allowingtoo began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon
Sorry, my bad. Page 2. Auto Reboot.
allowingtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 PM   #47
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
What do you exactly mean by 'the fastboot thing'? Because the autoreboot feature is enabled by default, so, unless you want to use it to trigger a restart because you *changed* something, there's nothing to do...
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
oh ok, reading back I see the update - duh. I've been reading too much.

Installed from here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
From page 2

The link refers to:

Quote:
To use the autoreboot feature: Just drop a blank file named reboot in the linkss folder (by copying and renaming the already existing "autoreboot" blank file, for example) (or in the linkfonts folder if you also have the fonts hack installed!), and your Kindle will do a quick reboot 10s after you've unplugged it!
It made it sound like "do it!" If it's not needed or recommended I suggest it should be removed.

Last edited by allowingtoo; 01-09-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #48
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It's not 'needed' per se, it's a 'quality of life' feature, it saves you a bit of time compared to a full restart.

What I meant to say in my reply is that you should only use it, well, when you need to use it, and a first time install without *any* customization done is not it . (Granted, it won't hurt a bit, but it's not necessary *unless* you happened to change some settings, some fonts, or some screensaver files).

To get back to your issue, you may already have answered this, but just to make sure: What exactly happens when you try to pull a book from the Archive or the Kindle Store on the device itself, without using a computer?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-09-2012 at 06:24 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:24 PM   #49
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Quote:
Although it should have been an U004 error. Also why yifanlu's jailbreak installed okay after that.
Although this was never explained. It could have been the U004 error and not U006.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #50
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

I posted a picture in the picture pages of a book I downloaded, although it doesn't show it on my Kindle itself unless I take a Photo of it. The book shows via my computer as always but not on the Kindle itself.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1150015...6113971/Kindle
Advert
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #51
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, it is explained: in my book, 3.3 >= 3.2.1 .

Quote:
Note for Kindle >= 3.2.1 Users:

Please use the file corresponding to your kindle model suffixed by -3.2.1, the other one won't work on these newer FW versions, while the -3.2.1 file won't work on older FW versions. Check your Settings page if you're unsure of what FW your Kindle is running.
Unless you meant that *you* didn't completely explain the error you got, in which case, well, since you don't seem to remember exactly *which* error you got (which *is* kinda important, but, well), we'll have to make assumptions, and, given the context, that one (U004) is the most likely .
Old 01-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #52
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Er, what do you mean by 'taking a photo' of it? And I thought you said your Kindle was blank, you didn't see *any* directories anymore?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #53
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
From the posted photos, it looks like the user store (USB Drive) may have been wiped clean and the startup scripts rebuilt it, which makes sense if you did the factory restore thing...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #54
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

Quote:
Er, what do you mean by 'taking a photo' of it? And I thought you said your Kindle was blank, you didn't see *any* directories anymore?
Taking a photo of the actual Kindle itself showing I only have the two Dictionaries on the Home page and the book I downloaded doesn't show up - while it's showing in the computer.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #55
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@allowingtoo: Oh ok. Provided you still don't see anything on the Kindle itself (and something stupid like a crappy home screen sorting method is out of the question), but the book file is still visible when connected to a computer, what happens after a restart (Settings > Restart)?

Does the book pop up on the Kindle? Does it disappear from the documents folder when connected to a computer?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #56
allowingtoo
Bibliophile

nope. never has.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:42 PM   #57
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The persistent user store on /var/local may have a corrupted collections or document index database or something similar. You could try removing all content from the documents folder, reboot, add the files back, and reboot again. That "might" rebuild the indexes.

The device is not bricked. If it was mine, I would uninstall all hacks (reinstall first if necessary and then uninstall), then do factory reset. You can copy your books in later.

The kindles format and rebuild the persistent store and the usb drive if not they cannot be mounted due to corruption. To reformat the user store (usb drive) you can copy reformat it from the host pc, or on the kindle you need to loop mount the device to /mnt/mmc with an offset of 8192.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:54 AM   #58
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by allowingtoo View Post
Harry. Thank you Harry. Hard Reset. Factory Reset. Soft Reset. Believe me, I've tried them all. I even took the back off and tried to push the reset button. I've reset this thing so many times..............

I've registered and deregisted.......

Is there a brick wall somewhere for me to beat my head against? Because I really had a very nice Kindle for 2 days until I thought I'd jailbreak it.

I've done a lot of things in my life. I can tear apart a laptop and put it back together easily. I can fix a dryer. I've even managed to fix my refrigerator. I installed Android on my HP TouchPad without bricking it. That's why I "thought" Jailbreak my Kindle?

If I could do it over...........
try pressing both home and power buttons to run kindle on recovery mode
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #59
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
(Slightly off-topic)
just jumping in on the loop-mount-with-offset-8192 thing: It's easy. The partition is in fact acting as a device, so it contains its own MBR and partition table. I assume that's because that *partition* gets exported as a *drive* via USB. It's the same for the Kindle Touch (that's were i came across that in the first place).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #60
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
(Slightly off-topic)
just jumping in on the loop-mount-with-offset-8192 thing: It's easy. The partition is in fact acting as a device, so it contains its own MBR and partition table. I assume that's because that *partition* gets exported as a *drive* via USB. It's the same for the Kindle Touch (that's were i came across that in the first place).
If it has its own partition table as you say, it should be safe to divide it into up to four logical partitions, so we make part of it ext3 perhaps. No loop mount of an ext3 file sitting on a fuse filesystem. It should be much faster and more stable, I would think. I will try that when I get some time. The first logical partition probably needs to stay vfat so it will mount without modifying fstab.