Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #1
shaffycat
shaffycat began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
what am I doing wrong ??? - Ipad question

ok so I have myself an ipad - 1st one not the fancy ipad 2

I have some books sitting in calibre and want to transfer them to my ipad so I read all the information about doing that on the calibre & apple iDevices start here thread

now I followed each step and most seem to have been ticked or unticked as specified and then I transfer the books to my ibooks via the usb cable and they are sitting there but when I try to open them it tells me they are the wrong format

I have them all in calibre as ePub

what am I doing wrong

I have the latested updates for both the ipad and calibre so not sure whats wrong

when I open the books in calibre they bring up a screen with a small icon with the book title and I click on that and it opens the book in ADE and I can open it and read it - is this part of the problem ??? should I unistall ADE

any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated as I am really keen to get these books onto my ipad

thanks
shaffycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:59 AM   #2
shaffycat

ok just to update I've just realized that I can open my books in my kobo account so they seem fine in that app but I'm obviously missing something in the calibre transfer
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It sounds as if the books you are trying to upload have DRM protection. iBooks can only handle DRM protected books that use the Apple variant of DRM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffycat View Post
ok just to update I've just realized that I can open my books in my kobo account so they seem fine in that app but I'm obviously missing something in the calibre transfer
What is the source of the books? Were they purchased and then downloaded originally to your desktop machine? Are you on a Mac or Windows?
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The easiest way is to do it via iTunes. I know, iTunes sucks in general and blows with specific things. But it does two things well- music and iBooks.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #6
shaffycat

hi guys and thanks for your answers
I did download them onto my laptop with kobo (had a kobo but sold it to update to ipad)
have since worked out that all I had to do was add the books to my ipad kobo library and bingo it works and even managed to load a pdf book via itunes and it went straigt to the ibooks app on my ipad so I am now set and ready to read to my hearts content...

thanks again