Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #46
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Sheesh.... try reading what I wrote!

Note the following in the message you responded to:

using the slider, the page number changed from 27 of 231 to 231 of 231 as I moved the slider. Given that the page display does not change until I remove my finger from the slider, the power use is pretty minimal. Also handy was the return to start function since that let me undo the page movement with minimal effort.

Please notice the mention of the page number displayed changing as I moved the slider. The displayed page did not change but the page number did. Since I had started reading the ebook, I was already on synthetic page 27 which is why I started on page 27 of 231.

Regards,
David
Interesting. I never thought of dragging on the slidebar. Almost seemed like it would work for a minute. after about 5 minutes I was within a page of my arbitrary destination and the numbers were fluctuating +/-1. I carefully removed my finger and it hopped forward 1/2 inch.

Oh well, a brief glimmer of hope

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #47
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Interesting. I never thought of dragging on the slidebar. Almost seemed like it would work for a minute. after about 5 minutes I was within a page of my arbitrary destination and the numbers were fluctuating +/-1. I carefully removed my finger and it hopped forward 1/2 inch.

Oh well, a brief glimmer of hope
I generally drag to within a few pages and then roll my finger to get to the page I'm trying to reach. You can also try using the >>/<< to go forward/backward by chapters and then use the >/< to step forward/back one page at a time.

Personally, I find page numbers in ebooks to be pretty useless.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #48
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I generally drag to within a few pages and then roll my finger to get to the page I'm trying to reach. You can also try using the >>/<< to go forward/backward by chapters and then use the >/< to step forward/back one page at a time.

Personally, I find page numbers in ebooks to be pretty useless.

Regards,
David
I recently had to reload all of my books on my HD and had about 10 in various stages which I may or may not finish. When I semi abandon a book, or put it aside, I put the page number in calibre. Works good on my non Kobo readers.

Anyway useful or not, I think it could work better myself. I do use the rolling finger thing and page forward as well. Least amount of pain.

And Kobo did actually fix at least one bug this year, not that I live in expectation of it happening again, but one never knows.

Helen
Old 11-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #49
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
When I semi abandon a book, or put it aside, I put the page number in calibre.
I just use David's Kobo Utilities plugin to store the reading status of all books; lets me do a rebuild and get back to where I was.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #50
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I just use David's Kobo Utilities plugin to store the reading status of all books; lets me do a rebuild and get back to where I was.
That was my plan too, but first I had a hard drive crash, had not backed up my library since before installing the kobo utilities. Wasn't adding books just correcting metadata. So my metadata didn't match and I am still fixing metadata for the second time

Talk about shooting myself in the foot eh!

Helen
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 02:22 AM   #51
arturox
Enthusiast
arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.arturox is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo
With regard to the finger rolling on the slider as suggested by some...
I suggested this to SWMBO and I'm not going to write the answer after she'd been playing with it for some while.
It was not satisfactory, because the screen touch/response on the Kobo is quite crude when compared to a Tablet computer.

I tried it out myself, and spent a good 15 minutes trying to refine the process, to get me to at least within one or two pages of the destination, no chance.
Suffice to say it was like trying to page turn a paper book using thick woolly gloves.

Ax
arturox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 AM   #52
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Am I the only one who can easily get within 2-3 pages rolling my finger on the slider? Maybe Glos are more sensitive.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:30 AM   #53
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Am I the only one who can easily get within 2-3 pages rolling my finger on the slider? Maybe Glos are more sensitive.
I have a Glo and have a lot of problems. What length book are you using? Try this book:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54372
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:16 AM   #54
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
The one I tried on was about 300 pages, I think.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #55
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I can do it but it is far from precise or easy or intuitive. It would never have occurred to me to roll my finger instead of using the slidebar in the normal fashion if not for murg so I often suggest it to others. And the numbers still jitter. And even rolling occasionally it hops back to the other end.

Helen
Old 11-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #56
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
My two pence worth is that, though I rarely use page search, I loathe the slider with a passion. The response time is too slow and inaccurate to be useful, even with the finger-rolling technique. If I can remember a reasonably unusual word nearby I will search on that, but I would far rather have the option to enter a page number.

I do confess, though, that I don't use bookmarks - it may sound silly, but the dog-ear symbol upsets me since I would never do that to a real book ...
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote