Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
New BeBook Mini - 5" Eink Reader

The BeBook blog has posted the first picture of the BeBook Mini. It's the rebranded Hanlin V5 that MobileRead showed you over here. BTW, at least one detail on that page is wrong. The Bebook Mini will have a faster CPU. Also, the hints dropped on Twitter are true. The price will be €/$200 on release.

I've asked for a copy of the press release.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BeBook Mini VS BeBook 1.0.jpg
Views:	1761
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	28156   Click image for larger version

Name:	BBmini_side.jpg
Views:	1466
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	28157  

Last edited by Nate the great; 04-29-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Notice the USB port is on the top of the V5, next to the SD slot. Plus, as has been mentioned in the other thread, there is a toggle on the right side for page advance.

And what's that slot above the toggle on the right side?

Last edited by Moe The Cat; 04-29-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Man its ugly. But you can't beat that price!

Hopefully OIP will run on it from scratch..
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
And what's that slot above the toggle on the right side?
Excellent question. I was going to say "it's the SD slot", but that's on the top. Some other type of storage card, perhaps? Mini-SD? The promised WiFi card?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I am looking forward to the 5-inch form factor! Hope Astak gets them soon too!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Excellent question. I was going to say "it's the SD slot", but that's on the top. Some other type of storage card, perhaps? Mini-SD? The promised WiFi card?
Maybe Simm card?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
clee
clee began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Want!
clee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
mobelby
Zealot
mobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't littermobelby doesn't litter

Device: eeepc 901
Re a comparison of screen real estate between this and the iphone screen in terms of area, I think this has approx twice the area (ie 75 sq cm vs 39 sq cm on the iphone).

So this looks small but more than capable considering you can read and browse really well on an iphone. Now will it be wifi enabled in some way ?
mobelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
It's ugly, but I like the screen size and the price tag.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 AM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
It's ugly, but I like the screen size and the price tag.
Maybe I'm missing something but it looks very similar to the 6" BeBook, so how is it ugly? or do you consider the 6" BeBook to be ugly?

I like it but question whether the smaller size will really be any easier to carry. The screen real estate is roughly 2/3 the size of the 6" implying that you'd have to turn the page 50% more often and still couldn't fit it into a shirt pocket. I admit that the price is attractive if you don't already have a reader but Fry's has had the 6" EZ Reader for $249. Not much more cost for 50% more screen area.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #11
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Not much more cost for 50% more screen area.
Smaller screen, same (600x800) resolution. That translates into the best font rendering currently available on e-ink screens.

I hate how serif fonts look on my PRS-505, 167 DPI is not enough.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
The computer monitor on which you are reading this almost undoubtedly has a rather lower resolution that that.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The computer monitor on which you are reading this almost undoubtedly has a rather lower resolution that that.
Yes, but who is using serif fonts on a computer monitor?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I use them for quite a lot of things, personally. It's all down to personal preference at the end of the day.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 AM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Smaller screen, same (600x800) resolution. That translates into the best font rendering currently available on e-ink screens.

Can you tell me where you got this data on the screen pixels? Outside MR posts, I've been unable to find info on the screen pixels.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote