Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
jb_alphamale
jb_alphamale began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900
my 1st ebook reader PRS-900 - a bit frustrated but ready to learn

I finally got my 1st reader a PRS-900. I posted here before waiting for it to be delivered but now I have it in my hands. Fully charged and with all my ebooks transferred to it.
Guys, I do have a big problem and you have to educate me like being in grade 1 or kindergarten. I CANNOT READ IT.
It is way too dark for my eyes compared with a computer screen or a hard-copy book. I know there is now brightness control and I also do know that there should be a reason behind it but again I CANNOT READ.
Previous to buy it I did research and I found only 1-2 reviews about the darkness of the screen but coming here to this forum I found nothing about this "problem".
Do I need to develop a skill to use it? Do I need to get used with this type of device?
I'm IT guy working with monitors 8-10 hours/day for the last 20 years so you can imagine my addiction to regular monitors crt or lcd or plasma screens.
Any advice? Is there anything I can do to get faster used to this type of screen?
jb_alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #2
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I got mine yesterday and it is darker than a hard-copy book. But like any book, if you are in inadequate light it will be harder to read, more so with the PRS-900 than other non-touch readers from all I've read the past few weeks. When I first observed this I just turned on more lights, and increased the compact florescent to 100W equivalent in the lamp on the nightstand. It's now extremely readable. I'm not sure how it would fare if I were doing a daily commute in so-so lighting on a bus or train. In lower light I'll probably set the text to Medium rather than Small.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
jb_alphamale

I like to have bright light everywhere so all my bulbs are at maximum that the lamps can support. At my nightstand is 60W but still I find it very dark. In the living-room where light is coming 6-8 feet from above I cannot read without hurting my eyes. I wonder if all the ebook readers are the same. I hope buying a good portable light for it (I've seen couple of posts about this topic) will solve the problem otherwise I don't know what I'm going to do. I tried read it in the daylight, no way.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
kceb10
kceb10 doesn't litterkceb10 doesn't litter

I have a PRS-900 also and have no problem reading it, the only problem i have with it is the glare but that is easily fixed by moving the book alittle to adjust where the light is hitting it. I owned a PRS-505 before this one and the 505 was alot better than the 900 as far as screen quality goes, but i love my 900 to much to get rid of it now
kceb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
kceb10
kceb10 doesn't litterkceb10 doesn't litter

If you read the reviews at sonystyle.com there are alot of people not happy with the screen on the PRS-900
kceb10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The 900 and 600 both have touch screens over the EPD (the e-paper display) that mess with the clarity by reflecting some of the light rather than letting it pass down to the screen. The 300 is more like the non-Sony devices, since it doesn't have touch support. Other companies are going with different touch technology which is limited in some ways (either only support fingers, or only support a stylus), but doesn't impact clarity of the screen.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #7
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
Congrats on your first reader. I own the Sony 900 and it's my 3rd reader. Previously, I owned the Sony 500 and then I traded it in for the 505 model. The screen appears dark in low light conditions. That's just the way these work for now. There is no light coming from the device itself, which means you must shine light on the screen from a lamp. You will notice that under low lighting conditions, you can see a vague reflection of yourself. This is normal because of the touch screen layer, which I think adds a lot more functionality to the device.

To solve, this you really need to either read with a lamp shining down at an angle (not directly overhead or else there will be a glare or get a portable book light, preferably one that uses AA or AAA batteries. It might be a good idea to get a few sets of rechargeable batts and a small portable charger that way you will always have batteries. Ambient light from 6-8 feet away doesn't really cut it. Now, you should be able to go outside with the sun shining and read it comfortably.

At first this lighting issue annoyed me, but the way I think about is that you're supposed to read under good lighting anyway, so this just forces me to read under good lighting, thus saving my eyes.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #8
jb_alphamale

I'll give it a try for the next couple of days. I have other devices with touch screen iPhone, LCD monitor, BB storm but not one of them is soooo dark. I'm going to read on Sony's website maybe I can find any technical explanation so I can become enlightened (unfortunately the PRS-900 won't). Which is t he best portable book light around? Small footprint, light, easy to attach and so on. Any advice on this highly appreciated.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
Estuche
Enthusiast
Estuche began at the beginning.

Device: none
Here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...5077442&sr=8-1

You can even get it with an AC adapter to save batteries. There is also a video review at the bottom of the page. Hope it helps!
Estuche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
My favorite reading light is a floor-standing Ott-Lite (broad spectrum fluorescent) placed about 2' away from what I'm reading.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Get daylight compact florescent bulbs.... awesome. As soon as you put one in a socket you realize all others are yellow. Colors are true, and they are great for ereaders.... Get them at Home Depot, Lowes....etc. They cost a little more (not much) but for me they are so worth it.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
jb_alphamale

daylight compact florescent bulbs

Excellent advice. I'll go tonight and buy one for my nightstand. Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
Get daylight compact florescent bulbs.... awesome. As soon as you put one in a socket you realize all others are yellow. Colors are true, and they are great for ereaders.... Get them at Home Depot, Lowes....etc. They cost a little more (not much) but for me they are so worth it.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
jb_alphamale

Mighty-Bright-XtraFlex2

I've seen a video on Amazon about this one. Scroll down to see it. The Kindle has a back cover whether Sony doesn't so how to attach it?
I found here how to attach it.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71356
I really don't like the idea in not having the front side of the stock cover and to hold it like a book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
Here:

http://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Bright-...5077442&sr=8-1

You can even get it with an AC adapter to save batteries. There is also a video review at the bottom of the page. Hope it helps!

Last edited by jb_alphamale; 02-02-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 PM   #14
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Also try increasing the font, should make the text more readable.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #15
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_alphamale View Post
Excellent advice. I'll go tonight and buy one for my nightstand. Thank you very much.
Get the 100W equivalent rather than the 60W you said you have on your nightstand. I don't have the daylight bulbs but am using the CF's I had on hand.

Also, the devices you are comparing the PRS-900 to are all backlit screens and will always be brighter, but harder on the eyes long-term.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote