Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-11-2013, 09:05 PM   #31
ciarpame
ciarpame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
With your suggestions I was able to downgrade to 5.3.2.1 with jbpatch installed.

Then, sadly, my first WiFi session pushed me forward to 5.3.7 again

I installed the bridge to avoid this issue, as suggested, and I got no errors during bridge installation. Maybe my fault was installing the bridge after updating to 5.3.2.1 and not before.

There is a way to know if the bridge is up and running? Now I will start over with Kubrick and so on... and I will keep my WiFi turned off until I understand what went wrong.

Thanks for your help
ciarpame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:26 PM   #32
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarpame View Post
With your suggestions I was able to downgrade to 5.3.2.1 with jbpatch installed.

Then, sadly, my first WiFi session pushed me forward to 5.3.7 again

I installed the bridge to avoid this issue, as suggested, and I got no errors during bridge installation. Maybe my fault was installing the bridge after updating to 5.3.2.1 and not before.

There is a way to know if the bridge is up and running? Now I will start over with Kubrick and so on... and I will keep my WiFi turned off until I understand what went wrong.

Thanks for your help
You are dealing with two different things here, and you are probably confusing them.

a) The purpose of the BackDoorLock is to prevent the Kindle from even installing firmware updates in the first place. This is what you really want.

b) The purpose of the jailbreak bridge is to keep the jailbreak alive in case the firmware is updated. It ensures that the Kindle is still accessible (="jailbreakable") after a firmware update... but not much more.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2013, 03:30 AM   #33
ciarpame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
You are dealing with two different things here, and you are probably confusing them.

a) The purpose of the BackDoorLock is to prevent the Kindle from even installing firmware updates in the first place. This is what you really want.

b) The purpose of the jailbreak bridge is to keep the jailbreak alive in case the firmware is updated. It ensures that the Kindle is still accessible (="jailbreakable") after a firmware update... but not much more.
You right, of course. I supposed that jailbreak bridge would serve for both purposes.
So now I will start over and install backdoorlock too.

Thanks again.

PS. I just wonder on which time zone are you living... you always reply within (a few) hours, does not matter when I write
Old 10-12-2013, 04:23 AM   #34
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarpame View Post
PS. I just wonder on which time zone are you living... you always reply within (a few) hours, does not matter when I write
That is actually very common on this forum.

It is very rare that a question does not get (several) same-day answers.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #35
ciarpame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams View Post
What you would lose:
JBPatch customize reader font sizes patch
I installed it manually as described here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/JBPa...der_Font_Sizes

It works, despite the weird interface issues described in the wiki page.
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #36
iuli_an
iuli_an began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hello everyone!

I have a Kindle Touch with 5.3.7 firmware and I tried to jailbreak it with Kubrick.
The first problem was that I couldn't boot with kubrick live cd on usb stick, the error was something like "can't mount /dev/sda.. java files required missing...". Anyway I succede somehow booting from usb but inserting also a physical cd...

The problem now is that I can't put my KT in usb download mode. I tried several times with the power and home button and no luck.
Does anyone had succeded entering in download mode with this version of fw?
If yes I would ask him to explain exactly the steps. Or maybe my kindle has something wrong...
iuli_an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #37
Vidhart
Vidhart began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle touch
Need help

So i have a kt with 5.1.2 i installed the jailbreak bridge but the update ur kindle option is greyed out if i put the 5.3.7 bin file ? What to do
Vidhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM   #38
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidhart View Post
So i have a kt with 5.1.2 i installed the jailbreak bridge but the update ur kindle option is greyed out if i put the 5.3.7 bin file ? What to do
Full. and pretty clear instructions are here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200790650

you are missing step 1)
install this http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...le_5.3.2.1.bin

THEN that.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #39
timefire
timefire began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Can't seem to get Collections set up

Ok I jailbroke my kindle touch using kubrick it went through and said it was successful. I then got the All-in-one KUAL prerequisites. I used 7zip to unzip it brought me to another file i used 7zip to unzip that as well. I got the update_kindlet-dev-20130710-k5-ALL_install file put it in my kindle root file ejected and updated my kindle. I got a software error: 007. Could my original jailbreak not have worked? I just can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

I lost all my from my old com. I'm sorting through 5,000 books and I need collections to work on my kindle and on computer.

Edit: I reset the kindle and started from scratch and everything worked. I have been doing this all day and failing hard. lol so I'm going to leave this here so if anyone else is failing hard they can see they are not alone.

Last edited by timefire; 12-25-2013 at 01:54 AM.
timefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #40
donMaranzano
Zealot
donMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 5
Is it possible someone to tell if I jailbreak my kindle touch will give me any solution to my question""I want to share quote from non-amazon book in facebook and to show also the name of the book." Right now sho only quote names as personal document. Does someone knows?
donMaranzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #41
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donMaranzano View Post
Is it possible someone to tell if I jailbreak my kindle touch will give me any solution to my question""I want to share quote from non-amazon book in facebook and to show also the name of the book." Right now sho only quote names as personal document. Does someone knows?
The "Jailbreak" is the key (no pun intended, it is literally a cryptographic KEY) to installing our packages that support making additions and modifications to the Kindle's firmware.

So the "Jailbreak" will be a requirement of anything you do that is not supported by the stock Amazon firmware.

It is a "Personal Document" because it IS NOT an "Amazon Document".
In Amazon's classification system, there is only "Ours and Everything else".
Old 04-22-2014, 04:56 AM   #42
donMaranzano
Zealot
donMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheesedonMaranzano can extract oil from cheese

Okay so is it possible to make it to show name of the book from which I'm sharing?
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #43
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by donMaranzano View Post
Okay so is it possible to make it to show name of the book from which I'm sharing?
Not with the stock Amazon firmware.

Which answers your other question - you are going to need the jailbreak to make modifications or after-market additions.

- - - -

And no, I don't know what modifications or after-market additions you will have to make.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 AM   #44
donMaranzano
Zealot

Perfect. I hope one day some will make it.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:19 AM   #45
ebookcat
ebookcat began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch 3g
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
So, Kindle Touch update 5.3.7 has just come out.

Unlike all previous updates, which were all differential updates, this one contains the full system. This means that all modifications are lost during the upgrade, INCLUDING THE JAILBREAK (unless you already had the jailbreak bridge installed).

There are two solutions, depending on your situation.

1. If you are still on an earlier Firmware version, install the jailbreak bridge from NiLuJe's Kindle Touch jailbreak. It's the file named update_jailbreak_bridge_*_install.bin inside the jailbreak zip that you'll want to install.

This will (try to) ensure that the jailbreak survives future firmware updates.

2. If you are already on FW 5.3.7 and do not have the jailbreak installed (symptom: Error 007 when trying to install a custom update.bin), then use Kubrick. DO NOT let it overwrite the main partition when asked - otherwise you'll end up with FW 5.1.2. Instead, skip flashing the main partition, and only select to install the jailbreak.

It's also a good idea to install the jailbreak bridge (see item 1. above).
@ixtab
Hi. I just recently updated my kindle touch from 5.1.1. now to 5.3.7.3. Upon restarting there was **BRIDGE** appeared below. Was that the jailbreak bridge you mentioned?
Is there still a way for my device to get jailbreaked?

The update was my first. and it was definitely not worth it. I should've just let my device on 5.1.1
My custom wallpapers are still in the linkss folder, but the lame pencil wallpapers were activated back.

Last edited by ebookcat; 07-23-2018 at 10:22 AM. Reason: I forgot some details back there
ebookcat is offline   Reply With Quote