Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-20-2012, 07:00 PM   #1
kcghost
kcghost began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (3.3)
UsbNetworking Install fails on jailbroken Kindle 3.3

I researched as much as I could on this problem, but could not find an answer or something else to try.

I recently jailbroke my Kindle Keyboard (Wifi), it has 3.3 firmware. After some trouble I found that update_jailbreak_0.10.N_k3w-3.2.1_install was sucessful, others gave me an "ERROR CODE: 3". I only know it was sucessful because of no errors and a "linkjail" folder appeared.

The screen is mostly broken, so the goal is to resurrect it as a somewhat useful device using SSH, so I tried the usbNetwork hack: update_usbnetwork_0.37.N_k3w_install
but i get "ERROR CODE: 3" upon installation.

Is there another version of usbNetwork I should be using? (I couldn't find many other versions). Or is there some easier way to get this to work? Thanks very much for any help on the subject.

Please keep in mind I cannot do much on the kindle itself, it took me awhile to Update it blind. I can see only the bottom portion of the screen, enough to enter in some commands through the search box when I need to.

By the way this may be useful info for those in such a situation as mine:
Update the kindle keyboard blind:
Press HOME,Menu,Up many times to the top, down 3, select, menu, up many times to the top, down 3 or 4 times depending upon sometimes grayed out option, select. If sucessful the Kindle will be unresponsive for a few moments before restarting.
kcghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I used NiLuJe's jailbreak and usbnetwork packages here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004

I use kindle-usbnetwork-0.37.N.zip on all of my Kindle 3s.

Be sure to use the correct update*.bin file inside that zip file. For 3.3 firmware, you need to use update_jailbreak_0.10.N_k3g-3.2.1_install.bin

Be sure it has 3.2.1 in the filename.

ERROR CODE 3 means you probably used one of the other K3 versions.

Also, I recommend adding an AUTO file inside the usbnet folder, so it boots up with usbnet active. You can use scp or WinSCP to copy files to it when in SSH mode. Or delete the AUTO file to use USB drive mode.

You can also activate usbnet with search commands, but that would be difficult with a broken screen.

Try installing the usbnet file in your zip file, with 3.2.1 in the name. It works for me.

I have multiple K3s (wifi-only, and 3G) and they have different menu items grayed out, so it can be difficult to "blind-navigate" the menus.

I found that activating voice guide makes a kindle with a broken display MUCH more usable. I borrowed a display from a good K3 to get voice guide activated successfully though.

EDIT: Please post whether using the "3.2.1" version worked for you.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-20-2012 at 07:42 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
kcghost

It would appear that the usbNetwork install failed because the device was not properly jailbroken.

I fear that I may have had some sort of corrupted install. I put in uninstall bins, deleted the linkjail directory (as well as every other directory) and tried for the
update_jailbreak_0.10.N_k3w-3.2.1_install.bin
again, but I keep getting error 3 codes and I do not see the linkjail directory again, just 'audible', 'documents', 'music' and 'system'.

I tried the regular version, and the version for 3g as well, nothing wants to take. (error 3)

I also tried a factory reset then k3w-3.2.1 again, also did not take. (error 3)

Thanks for the advice, but I think I have some strange issues. Any other suggestions?
Before I start looking into the 'killing ants with atom bombs' approach (aka jtag)?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Try installing NiLuJe's jailbreak from the link in my previous reply. Be sure to use the 3.2.1 update file inside the zip.

The serial port is MUCH easier than JTAG (if you can FIND the JTAG port).

There are some K3 links in the simple debricking sticky.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Try installing NiLuJe's jailbreak from the link in my previous reply. Be sure to use the 3.2.1 update file inside the zip.

The serial port is MUCH easier than JTAG (if you can FIND the JTAG port).

There are some K3 links in the simple debricking sticky.
The JTAG port on the K3 is a labeled collection of contact pads.
The harder part is identifing which signal is on which pad.
Then you only have to identify which bit of which register does what inside of the SoC.

Maybe better that you stick to the goal of using the serial console connection.
Although your sharing any JTAG information you have on the K3 would be nice.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You're rebooting your Kindle with a custom .bin in the userstore. Don't.

Always use the 'Update Your Kindle' link from the Settings menu. (I get that it might be tricky with a broken screen, but there's not much else we can do about it without a shell).

FYI: That's an error from the recovery updater you're seeing, which runs at boot, and expects an amazon signed recovery update, while we're providing self-signed ota updates for hacks. The ota updater throws U00N error, not N .

EDIT: Or, apparently, updatewait can pickup custom updates, so, err, just let it sit in screensaver mode for a while, it should pick it up (too lazy to check the timers right now ;D).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-22-2012 at 10:19 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:25 AM   #7
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Oh, that's interesting, thanks for the information, NiLuJe! That might account for some of the miraculously self-fixed Kindles when people were complaining about non-working update packages and made those "suddenly" work...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #8
kcghost

Thanks for the help.

The updatewait method works very well, for both the jailbreak and usbNetwork hack. I just threw the update on, unplugged it and waited probably around ten minutes. I happened to see it updating both times, and it went through without errors.

Probably the best method to update with a broken screen, I must have been restarting instead of updating.

Last edited by kcghost; 05-24-2012 at 02:51 PM.