Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
berni29
berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 ver 3.3 will not jailbreak.

Hi There

Help please. I have a Kindle 3 keyboard wifi which I have bought secondhand recently. One of the first things I did was to upgrade the firmware from the 3.1 that was on it to 3.3 At some point, perhaps before doing 3.3 I did get the 0.6 jailbreak to load and also the SS but there was no extra folder for the images regardless of restarts etc inc factory resets.

I have been through a good number of threads on the subject, but my Kindle will now not jailbreak at all. The updates fail. I have tried all the updates and uninstalls available up to the newest 0.10 without success.

Nobody else seems to have managed to get themselves stuck like this and I am usually OK with this sort of thing. Help please, what stupid thing have I done.....

By the way, apart from having my own screen savers and the usual stuff I am hoping to run a Mandarin - English dictionary on the Kindle.

Many thanks

Berni
berni29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
berni29
berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.berni29 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Hi There

Thank you. I know its not the best form to start on a new forum with a question like this, but after trying to fix it for a few hours I got desperate. I am usually more of a contributor on forums. I love the sound of my own text

Berni
Advert
Old 11-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
berni29

Hi

I found the answer on the developers forum, was not using update_jailbreak_0.10.N_k3##-3.2.1_install.bin

Tks

Berni
Old 11-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Atlas2
Atlas2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Berni, Could you send me the link? I am having the same problem, thanks. Mark
Atlas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #5
AudreyG
AudreyG began at the beginning.

Device: none
Was there any success installing screensaver hacks on Kindle 3G Keyboard [US] with FW 3.3?
AudreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #6
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The screensaver hack works fine if you install the correct version.

Current versions of jailbreaks and other hacks:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88004
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Blues_Messiah
Blues_Messiah began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3w
I am having problems too. Just got this Kindle 3(wifi) off Craigslist, reset it to factory, and installed .6 jailbreak without realizing there was a newer. But then when I tried to install the screensaver tweak I go the "Failed to Update" error. Everything since then has given me either U004 or U007. I tried uninstalling the .6, uninstalling the failed ss, installing .10, uninstalling .10. I even went and got the 3.3 firmware from Amazon hoping to just overwrite the FW and start over, but as soon as I click "Update Kindle" it goes grey and deletes the 3.3 update file (presumably checks against the onboard firmware). I've even restored it to factory at least 3 times during this process to no avail. I mean, thankfully it still works and at worst I'm stuck with annoying screensavers. Hoping that if I can't at least get this solved there will eventually be a new FW update which will overwrite everything so I can start over fresh. Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I had been thinking that the newest version would be past the 3.21 update, but went back and tried with that one and it worked out fine. Now just to make a few screensavers!

Last edited by Blues_Messiah; 02-11-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Blues_Messiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #8
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Update package installation requirements changed with firmware version 3.2.1, but did not change again up through version 3.3. There are different installation packages to meet these requirements, for firmware versions 3.2.1 or newer (such as 3.3). Firmware version 3.3 has no new installation requirements, and uses version 3.2.1 installation packages (look for "3.2.1" in the filename of the installer ".bin" file). I see that Blues_Messiah figured this out.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote