Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
lothlann
lothlann began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Not sure what eBook to get

Hi,

I have been looking at ebooks for awhile now and am still unsure which to get.

Im a law student in the UK and would use it for mostly fiction books and possibly some law text books if i can find some (anyone know where i may be able to etextbooks?).

I have a small budget and have been looking at the Sony prs-505 as it was just released here. I really liked it but I think I will like the 700 more. I was going to order it from B&H Photo but its a fair bit more expensive than the 505 so im back to not being sure.

I have had a look at some of the others like the Kindle but I feel i cant justify the extra money for the features. The Sony ones look about right for my needs I just wanted someone who knows a bit more about ebooks to help me a bit.
lothlann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
When I was looking for one I decided to go with one of the two that were easily available in the UK - the CyBook via Smiths or the Sony via Waterstones (and now John Lewis if you want it in red). I ended up going for the Sony simply because I was able to have a look at one in the flesh. I use a clip-on book light clipped to the cover in very poor light.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Why do you think you will like the 700 more? (asking because this might help us give you some advice)
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In the UK I'd definitely recommend the Bookeen CyBook from W H Smiths on-line.

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...90010859.html#

In the UK it's the cheapest eInk ebook reader, and it handles Mobipocket very well, so can be used with ebooks from lots of on-line stores without any hassle.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothlann View Post
Hi,

I have been looking at ebooks for awhile now and am still unsure which to get.

Im a law student in the UK and would use it for mostly fiction books and possibly some law text books if i can find some (anyone know where i may be able to etextbooks?).

I have a small budget and have been looking at the Sony prs-505 as it was just released here. I really liked it but I think I will like the 700 more. I was going to order it from B&H Photo but its a fair bit more expensive than the 505 so im back to not being sure.

I have had a look at some of the others like the Kindle but I feel i cant justify the extra money for the features. The Sony ones look about right for my needs I just wanted someone who knows a bit more about ebooks to help me a bit.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
lothlann

I think i will like the 700 as I hear it is slightly faster, I like the sound of the light and I like touch screen things. My phone is touch screen and my laptop is a tablet PC for writing uni work.

Are the Sony readers simple to use in terms of getting the books on there? I liked the sound of the program as I thought it sounded a lot like itunes where you configure on your computer and then a nice and easy sync when they are plugged in, is it similar to that?

If i was going to get the books from elsewhere, such as this website, would they be simple to get onto the reader? Or would it require alot of work?
Advert
Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I think i will like the 700 as I hear it is slightly faster, I like the sound of the light and I like touch screen things. My phone is touch screen and my laptop is a tablet PC for writing uni work.

Are the Sony readers simple to use in terms of getting the books on there? I liked the sound of the program as I thought it sounded a lot like itunes where you configure on your computer and then a nice and easy sync when they are plugged in, is it similar to that?

If i was going to get the books from elsewhere, such as this website, would they be simple to get onto the reader? Or would it require alot of work?
I can say that the speed on the 505 is very acceptable. I find the backlight unnecessary, as I can just buy a $5 clip on light. But if the touch screen is what you want, then I can't help

I find it very easy to get the books on. Yes, it works just like an iPod. It doesn't automatically sync (but you can set it up that way- I prefer not to). To put the books on the device, simply click what you've bought and drag. If you don't buy it, there's an easy import tool.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #7
lothlann

I think I will go for the prs-700, just used this comparison: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix and I like the sound of it. If I dont i can always return it within 14 days

Thank you all for your help, one last thing, does anyone know if there is anywhere I could get textbooks or other law related books?

Thanks again
Old 01-02-2009, 07:38 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For textbooks, the 505 & Gen3 are not good. They both have no search or markup. The 700 will be much better for textbooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I think I will go for the prs-700, just used this comparison: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix and I like the sound of it. If I dont i can always return it within 14 days
Unless you go over to the US yourself & do a personal import, you'll end up with significant postage & duty/VAT costs even without trying to return it - Have you figured them in?

/Gwyn
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #10
lothlann

Hey I have worked out the VAT cost, its not too bad and the duty cost isnt too bad either. Plus my student loan just came in so I got a spare bit of money after I pay rent, should cover the costs.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #11
lothlann

O and does anyone know of any good sites that have textbooks, in particular Law ones (UK law but would also be interested in others such as US as its all relevant in UK law).

Thanks for everyones help
Old 01-09-2009, 09:21 AM   #12
lothlann

Very happy with my new reader, loving it at the moment.

Just one thing, The eBook Library software that came with the reader seems to only be useful if I live in US. I installed it and can use it but I can't shop in the shop as my card must have a billing address in the US or Canada.

Is there somewhere I can download the UK version of the software, couldnt find it on Sony's website, im probably just being blind though.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2009, 05:00 AM   #13
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
AIUI, the UK version 'shop' link just takes you to the Waterstones web-site - you don't get anything integrated in the same way as with US version. If there's things you want from the US site, there are ways involving purchasing Gift Tokens, but there are many other places to purchase books other than the 'official' sites.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #14
lothlann

Yeah shame though, there deal of the month is a book I want and its $1.

O well still got about 80 classic books left to download, at least those work.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #15
lothlann

O can you recommend any sites for books? And do you know any with textbooks?