Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #1
tessd1891
tessd1891 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 does not go to Settings page

This is my first post, but this is my go-to forum for Kindle questions.

I have a Kindle 3, and I've had a Kindle since 2007. I use it heavily for reading, including many advanced copies via NetGalley. I have over 840 books on it at the moment. I am trying to connect to a wireless network. I am running firmware 3.1 I think? I just got this Kindle a few weeks ago as a replacement for a damaged screen.

When I click Menu -> Settings nothing happens. The screen stays on the Home page.

I tried backing up all of my documents by moving them to a flash drive, and the Settings page still won't open. I did a reset by holding the power switch in the off position for over 20 seconds. Still nothing.

I also can't open Experimental. When I try, the menu bar at the top changes to say Experimental, but the the screen stays on the Home page with the menu showing (but not selectable). From here I can press Home to get to the "real" home page, but the menu on my faulty Experimental page just says "Turn Wireless Off" or "Shop in Kindle Store."

The Kindle Store works fine, from what I've seen.

I have done yifanlu's jailbreak and installed a custom screensaver hack, but the problem did not start until several weeks after I did that. I have not done any hacking or anything lately. I can't try uninstalling the hacks because I can't get into the Settings menu to install an update.

Any idea why this might be happening and how to fix it?
tessd1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessd1891 View Post
This is my first post, but this is my go-to forum for Kindle questions.

I have a Kindle 3, and I've had a Kindle since 2007. I use it heavily for reading, including many advanced copies via NetGalley. I have over 840 books on it at the moment. I am trying to connect to a wireless network. I am running firmware 3.1 I think? I just got this Kindle a few weeks ago as a replacement for a damaged screen.

When I click Menu -> Settings nothing happens. The screen stays on the Home page.

I tried backing up all of my documents by moving them to a flash drive, and the Settings page still won't open. I did a reset by holding the power switch in the off position for over 20 seconds. Still nothing.

I also can't open Experimental. When I try, the menu bar at the top changes to say Experimental, but the the screen stays on the Home page with the menu showing (but not selectable). From here I can press Home to get to the "real" home page, but the menu on my faulty Experimental page just says "Turn Wireless Off" or "Shop in Kindle Store."

The Kindle Store works fine, from what I've seen.

I have done yifanlu's jailbreak and installed a custom screensaver hack, but the problem did not start until several weeks after I did that. I have not done any hacking or anything lately. I can't try uninstalling the hacks because I can't get into the Settings menu to install an update.

Any idea why this might be happening and how to fix it?
If you're in the U.S., call Kindle Support at 866-321-8851
and if you're outside the US go to http://amazon.com/kindlesupport and click on the big yellow-gold "Contact Us" button at the right, nearer the middle, lengthwise.

Since you say you applied a jailbreak file, it's something to do with the interaction (and maybe the number of books plus possibly a corrupted file), and Kindle Support can help you reset to factory defaults.

One last thing: Try resetting it after you plug it into the wall. Let it charge for at least half an hour. Then try the 20-second reset again. Maybe that'll help.

- Andrys
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I thought that resetting to factory defaults did not remove hacks?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Some people claim that it does, but I'm not so sure.

Better off uninstalling the hack.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
It disables/breaks the hacks, but does not remove them.

I know I've held the power switch for a ridiculous amount of time (45 - 60 secs) and when the unit rebooted, it asked me if I wanted to do a factory reset. I have no idea if that's standard--or if it will even work for anyone else, but it's all I got.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #6
tessd1891
tessd1891 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the suggestions. Calling Kindle support was going to be my last attempt to fix it. I tried everything else, no luck. Then I backed up all files to my PC and deleted all but the system folder off the Kindle. When I ejected it, it was able to get to the Settings page. So I copied the uninstall file for the font hack (the only thing I installed on this that wasn't on my previous Kindle) and the uninstall worked. I could still access Settings. I copied all files back onto the Kindle (minus the font hack folder, of course) and it seems to be working just fine.

Not to say the fonts hack is what caused the problem, but it wasn't make it or break it for me, like the screensaver hack is. *shrugs* Thanks again for trying to help.
tessd1891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:46 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Not to say the fonts hack is what caused the problem, but it wasn't make it or break it for me, like the screensaver hack is.
It very possible for an incorrectly installed/broken fonts hack to keep you from seeing the things you need to see on menu.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote