Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Embedding fonts in kf8

Can someone provide a tutorial for doing this
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techiemonkey View Post
Can someone provide a tutorial for doing this
We are still waiting for your cooperation in answering your last question.

This reference may help you with both of your pending questions:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-....html#explicit

Last edited by knc1; 07-19-2012 at 07:53 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Last time the OP asked this same exact question here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2145739
he was told to post it again in a new thread. This is that new thread. He was also told to supply more information, which he did not do. In general, requests should contain enough information so that the questions CAN be answered. However, his intent is clear in this case. He wants SOMEBODY ELSE to write a tutorial for him (probably for free).

FYI: KF8 font embedding is said to NOT be supported in the kindle app that you can run on a host PC.

The question is really "WHAT TOOLS support KF8 font embedding?". If you search "kf8 font embedding" with google, there are lots of hits:
A dedicated "kf8 font embedding" thread in the MobileRead calibre thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184187

The amazon "Kindle Format 8 Overview" (with publisher tool download links):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...cId=1000729511

And even an amazon forum thread that gives a simple tutorial (exactly what you requested):
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%2...x2PLUDJKNE8STF

I realize that google's "customized" search results may have given you different results, but really, it was not that hard and it should have given you SOMETHING useful. Did you TRY to "google it"?

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-19-2012 at 08:28 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
When I googled it I didn't get any useful results.as about your question about me providing info idnt exectly understand what info. To provide.and yes I have read my other thread and also read the post in which you asked for info but I still don't understand what info
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
pirl8
Pest
pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pirl8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KT, PW3
I assume you're using Sigil to build an ePub that you will eventually convert into azw3/kf8.

What you have to do is quite simple.

1st: load/edit your ePub.
2nd: add your TTF fonts in the "fonts" directory.
3rd: modify your CSS to load those fonts like this:
Spoiler:

Code:
@font-face {
  font-family: "My Font";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url("../Fonts/my font file plain.ttf");
}

@font-face {
  font-style: italic;
  src: url("../Fonts/my font file italic.ttf");
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  src: url("../Fonts/my font file bold.ttf");
}

@font-face {
  font-weight: bold;
  font-style: italic;
  src: url("../Fonts/my font file italic bold.ttf");
}

@font-face {
  font-variant: small-caps;
  src: url(../Fonts/my font file smallcaps.ttf);
}

body
{
   font-family: My Font;
}

In short: you load fonts into your ePub, add proper @font-face directives and then you actually use them as you would normally do with CSS.

After you have done this, you have to save your ePub and convert it.

Current version of Calibre does not handle correctly font embedding in AZW3/KF8 but next one should do it (see a similar thread in the Calibre forum).

At the moment you have to use Amazon KindleGen or KindlePreviewer. They're both freeware. In particular, KindlePreviewer allows you to load the ePub, convert it into KF8, and preview the result as it would appear in your Kindle Fire or Kindle Touch with firmware >= 5.1.0 /Kindle 4NT with firmware >= 4.1.0.

Remember to check the font license to see under which conditions you can distribute it. Also remember that fonts can be huge.

Last edited by pirl8; 07-19-2012 at 12:18 PM.
pirl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert