Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
rcs1000
Gadget freak
rcs1000 began at the beginning.

Connect Software doesn't work with Vista x64

Warning for all of you thinking of upgrading to 64-bit Vista... the Connect software doesn't seem to work. It won't install, claiming that "the installation was interrupted."

Such a pain...
rcs1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #2
hrbrmstr
OS X Wielding PRS-500 Own
hrbrmstr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Frustration is shared

OS X is my primary platform, but I'm running Vista on a PC for work as my other primary workstation and ran into this problem as well. Even the new, free Virtual PC 2007 won't help since it still does not have USB support.

I ended up having to install it in a Parallels VM under OS X. Imagine the disappointment that after doing all that I got to see how lame the CONNECT software is.

Sony really needs to get their act together.
hrbrmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2006, 11:49 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I second that. What would be even better if Sony made a publicly accessible API to their Web store, allowing us to write our own desktop tools.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #4
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Does the connect software actually work in a Parallels VM session? I've tried it with fresh installs of both XP Home and XP Pro, with all the latest updates installed. The Connect software installs, but refuses to run. No error message either.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:09 PM   #5
dotmike
dotmike began at the beginning.

rmeister0, I'm having the same problem. There are forum posts where people do have it running, however.

I don't know what the issue could be. It's possible a different build of Parallels, but more like some Windows + Parallels configuration setting.

Please post back if you find a solution.
dotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2006, 11:43 PM   #6
dotmike
dotmike began at the beginning.

Weird... Parallels + Sony Connect is working on my MacBook (laptop), but not my Mac Pro (desktop).

Same Parallels Windows disk image!

More detail in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=19
dotmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:32 AM   #7
hrbrmstr
OS X Wielding PRS-500 Own
hrbrmstr began at the beginning.

dotmike: I've been running Parallels since pre-public-beta and I can tell you that, while it's a nice tool, it's got a long way to go to be really polished and working as well as VWware. What I've seen of the Alpha builds of VMware for OS X indicates Parallels needs to get many things fixed in the next 4 months and add some major enhancements or they're going to be known as the cheaper VM software for the Mac.

Having said that, my Parallels is working on a MacBook Pro with a fully-patched XP image.

I sent salient event log entries (from the install) to the Vista team @ MS. Hopefully, they can at least tell me why the driver install is failing.
hrbrmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #8
kcm
kcm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I was able to get Connect running in Vista by booting into XP and installing it there. I just run the executable in Vista. Any books added to the library in one OS don't appear when you boot into the other, and Connect won't see the Reader if you connect it while the software is running. You have to plug in the reader then start Connect to transfer books.

There are three types of Sony employees - the hardware guys are geniuses, the software guys are morons, and the legal guys are baby-eating monsters.
kcm is offline   Reply With Quote