Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
DuckDodgers
DuckDodgers began at the beginning.

2.6 now available

Dear iLiad user,

Herewith we would like to inform you that a new software release will be available later today to download from the iRex Delivery Service (iDS).

What’s new in this software release 2. 6

This software release 2.6 is part of an ongoing process to extend the functionalities of the iLiad and to improve the overall performance to ensure an even better electronic reading experience for our customers.

We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.
Power Management

* The average battery life has been improved to 10 hours. Additional power management improvements are planned in upcoming software releases.

User Interface

* Path information displayed in title bar of content browser
* File size displayed in content browser
* Revised onscreen busy indicator when launching viewers
* The Up Key will now also allow you to close opened documents and applications
* Language changes in the iLiad settings will now take effect immediately

PDF

* Increased page turn speed. When reading a PDF document the next pages will be pre-loaded, this will substantially increase the page turn speed.

HTML

* Go to the last read page when re-opening any HTML document container.

CF Card

* Fixed bug where certain CF cards stopped working with version 2.5

Scribble Function

* Notes and drawings are now saved into an additional format (.IRX) which can be used with MyScript Notes®.

Networking

* Support for Fixed IP address in wired network profiles
* Improved wired and wireless network performance

Download and Installation instructions for software release 2.6

In order to benefit from this release and any future software releases you will need to create a user account to connect to iDS.

Note: These download and installation instructions are only applicable for software version 2.5. If you are running an older software version please consult the previous release notes which can be found here: http://www.irextechnologies.com/downloads/docs.
How to create an account:

* Go to https://myirex.irexnet.com/createuser.php and fill in your e-mail address.
* You will receive an automatic e-mail with a password in your e-mail inbox.
* Configure the iLiad Settings on your iLiad and insert your e-mail address and the password you received.
* Your are now ready to connect to iDS.

If you have an account you can download the latest software release from the iDS (iRex Delivery Service).

Note: Make sure that your iLiad is fully charged or connected to the power plug before starting the download).

How to download and install the latest release:

* Connect to iDS by pressing the connect key of your iLiad for 2 seconds.
* After connecting to the server you will get a message: Downloading Software upgrade and the progress of the download.
* When the download is complete the iLiad will restart itself.
* When the iLiad is starting again, you will see the message: Updating software… Please do not shutdown the device while this update is being installed.

(Caution: Please make sure the iLiad does not run out of power or is reset while the new software is being installed. If the installation is interrupted at this stage, the iLiad may be programmed with incomplete software, rendering it unusable.)

* After the installation is finished you will get the message: Completed. Please push the power on switch to the left to restart.
* You can now safely restart and continue to work with your iLiad.

Technical Support

If you experience problems with the installation please contact our Tech Support centre.

+49 (0)52 41 999 723

Operating times: 9am - 17pm Centre Europe Time (CET)

Technical supports deals exclusively with questions or problems about the iLiad and iDS and it requires identification via username and macaddress.

Technical support is currently only in English.

The iRex Team
Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
harryo
Enthusiast
harryo began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten TX / Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckDodgers
Dear iLiad user,

Herewith we would like to inform you that a new software release will be available later today to download from the iRex Delivery Service (iDS).

The iRex Team
"later today" is just a little bit vague. I've been trying to connect to the server to get the download, but I just cannot get a connection.

Does that mean there are hundreds of other Iliad owners trying to do the same thing, or is the new version not there at this stage?

Given how little feedback the Iliad's UI provides re the connection status ... just "Searching" or "Unsuccessful" ... it would be very, very useful if you could provide something on the main website that gave us an indication of how busy the iDS server currently is.

That would tell me whether I should give up for a couple of hours or whether it's just a temporary problem and it makes sense to keep trying.

Not having any idea of why the connection is failing is incredibly frustrating.

I realise these are early days, so I'm not complaining, just suggesting how you could make life a bit nicer for your users.
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #3
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Also see here.

Someone called iRex support and they informed him "later tonight" - which I suspect can be anything between now and the next 5 hours (when it'll be 7pm in .nl).
Old 08-15-2006, 08:54 AM   #4
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
hmmm...I didn't even receive the email yet...maybe i've fallen out of favour...but since I haven't done anything, not even contacted customer support since 2.5 I wouldn't know what...^^
Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
hmmm...I didn't even received the email yet...maybe i've fallen out of favour...but since I haven't done anything, not even contacted customer support since 2.5 I wouldn't know what...^^
Now, now... for all you've done for iRex and this community, I am sure you're among their list of honorary iLiad owners
Advert
Old 08-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #6
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Well...that's cleared up...i just received the email...:-)

I'll wait for the update before I continue reading the second volume of "The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone"

Wasn't that your recommendation Alexander?
Old 08-15-2006, 09:06 AM   #7
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I'll wait for the update before I continue reading the second volume of "The Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone"
I finished the third book (Blood King) last week

Edit: yup, highly recommended to fantasy fans.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:52 AM   #8
stinky ox
Connoisseur
stinky ox began at the beginning.

Device: samsung q1, iLiad
Got the email, no joy downloading yet (although for some reason it downloaded the font updates for 2.5 again).

Will try more later...
Old 08-15-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
Calabahn
Calabahn began at the beginning.

Device: V3I
I hope the update fixes the WEP wireless problem. I can connect to my WIFI network with security disabled but no joy when using WEP. Faster page turns in PDF's will be nice.

I read my first book on my new iliad last night. Best electronic reading experiance to date. No eye strain.

Now on to new features and better power managment and we have a winner here.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

@everybody

Please move all 2.6 discusion to the new sticky in the Software forum.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thread closed. Discussion continues in the Problems and Fixes in Software 2.6 thread.
Closed Thread