Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
xmiyux
Enthusiast
xmiyux doesn't litterxmiyux doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Multiple dictionaries possible on the K3?

Is there any way to have more than one dictionary on the K3?

I want to read some books in English and some in Spanish. I love how I can instantly get a definition on a word in English and would like to be able to do the same thing in Spanish. Is there any way to have dictionaries for both languages on a single unit?
xmiyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
Is there any way to have more than one dictionary on the K3?

I want to read some books in English and some in Spanish. I love how I can instantly get a definition on a word in English and would like to be able to do the same thing in Spanish. Is there any way to have dictionaries for both languages on a single unit?
You can have multiple dictionaries but you can only use one at a time. If you're reading a book in Spanish, you would switch to the Spanish Dictionary. A book in English would require an English Dictionary. I currently have 3 in English.

You change dictionaries via the settings page. When you add a new dictionary (never on your Kindle before), you have to give the Kindle time to index it, so that it will work smoothly with whatever you are reading.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
xmiyux
Enthusiast

Where in the settings can you change the dictionary? I'm looking through the 3 pages of the menu now and don't see anything about dictionaries.

Do I have to get a Spanish dictionary from somewhere first or are multiple languages stocked on the device already?
Old 09-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmiyux View Post
Where in the settings can you change the dictionary? I'm looking through the 3 pages of the menu now and don't see anything about dictionaries.
While on the Setting page hit Menu and you will see the choice "Change Primary Dictionary".

Quote:
Do I have to get a Spanish dictionary from somewhere first or are multiple languages stocked on the device already?
The Kindle comes with one English dictionary. You will have to purchase others from the Kindle store or ask others in the Kindle forum for more sources.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
xmiyux
Enthusiast

<3

Thank you so much. I was hunting through all my options and never even thought to hit Menu -> Settings and then do Menu again. Layers upon layers of the menu button. :lol:

Will go scope out the Kindle store now for a decent Spanish dictionary.

edit: Hrm, the Kindle store isn't super clear. Maybe others on here can make a recommendation. I would like to get two dictionaries.

1. Spanish dictionary that defines the word in Spanish (ie. no English at all).
2. Spanish/English dictionary for translation needs.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Last edited by xmiyux; 09-06-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Advert
Old 09-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

The MobiPocket.com Spanish site has a lot of dictionaries. If you don't find the equivalent in the Kindle Store, you can buy it from MobiPocket BUT you will have to strip the DRM to use it on the Kindle.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The Kindle comes with one English dictionary. You will have to purchase others from the Kindle store or ask others in the Kindle forum for more sources.
My K2 came with one, but my K3 came with two (The New Oxford American and Oxford Dictionary of English).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My K2 came with one, but my K3 came with two (The New Oxford American and Oxford Dictionary of English).
Really!? I should receive mine tomorrow or Wednesday. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
rogeliodh
rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Kindle detects the language and use the correct dictionary when possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You can have multiple dictionaries but you can only use one at a time. If you're reading a book in Spanish, you would switch to the Spanish Dictionary. A book in English would require an English Dictionary.
I don't know if this was true before, but I've just created an Spanish/Spanish dictionary (following the steps in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=148695 and setting the dc:Language to ES, and input/output language to es) and after loading it to the Kindle (with firmware 3.0.3), the kindle used my spanish dictionary for books where the language is correctly set to spanish and used the Oxford one for books in English. It uses the default dictionary for books with no language set.

This works great!
rogeliodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #10
xmiyux
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeliodh View Post
I don't know if this was true before, but I've just created an Spanish/Spanish dictionary (following the steps in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=148695 and setting the dc:Language to ES, and input/output language to es) and after loading it to the Kindle (with firmware 3.0.3), the kindle used my spanish dictionary for books where the language is correctly set to spanish and used the Oxford one for books in English. It uses the default dictionary for books with no language set.

This works great!
Any chance you would be willing to share the mobi file you created after that entire process (assuming it is public domain and legal to share)? Just reading through those steps in the thread you linked confused me. :lol:
Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
rogeliodh
rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rogeliodh knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Send me a private message with your email address...
rogeliodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
stehk
Enthusiast
stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.stehk knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2
multiple dictionary use

It's possible to change the metadata of a book with the mobi2mobi perl script (which also has a GUI... just search on the forum)
If you change it to spanish, the kindle will choose a spanish dictionary for translation (no matter what the primary dictionary is set to be) and so on

there is a thread about this stuff (a lot of the stuff on the beginning outdated with the new fw updates)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60103
stehk is offline   Reply With Quote