Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #1
mahoteacher
mahoteacher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, kindle DX
kindle 3 reboot failure, chances to access to flash drive via USB?

Hi guys,

I am totally mess up with my kindle 3G( serial no. starting with B006) . I was playing around with my kindle until it couldn't reboot any more.

Just a couple nights ago, I installed a jailbreaker to it, trying to copy the firmware to my Kindle DX, after that I did remove the jailbreaker. Then last night, I installed Duokan along with Duokan lite on my kindle 3. Then this morning, I decided to uninstall it, here's how the problem comes:

I put the 3 files essential to uninstall Duokan on the usb root, unplug and update the kindle. The uninstall was successful, but it NEVER get pass the loading bar, it stuck at the middle.

Even i got into the RESET mode, still it never got pass the loading bar. I am suspecting maybe the uninstallation of duokan was incomplete, so it stopped at the middle.

My question is is there any way i can recover my kindle?
If not, is there any way I can access my kindle flash drive via usb, so I can clean up a bit in my drive (so i can delete my incomplete duokan uninstallation)?

Thanks a whole bunch!!!

Last edited by mahoteacher; 06-23-2011 at 09:22 PM.
mahoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 4
Soory, But you can recover it only via Serial Adapter. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99177
Sir Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Are you sure, Sir Alex? (I mean, if anyone knows about this, it should be you, but then I missed something...) Isn't your Diagnostic tool suited to get the password for accessing flash via USB upon boot? Since the progress bar is already starting, the kernel should be fully loaded already. It's just hanging in userland somewhere...
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
Sir Alex
Groupie
Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sir Alex once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

My tool give you password for recovery menu in Serial mode, It's is not accessible via USB.
Try to restore Duokan files in userstore, maybe it helps you to start Kindle.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:26 AM   #5
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Did you try the recovery mode? Press Home while the device is rebooting. That helped me when my device was in a loop while trying to downgrade from 3.2.1 to 2.5.8.

EDIT: That's only for kindle 2 and kindle DXG i think. So i assume it won't work for you.

Last edited by reprep; 06-24-2011 at 06:34 AM.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #6
mahoteacher

Thanks for all your reply!! the serial adapter seems okay, but i don't know the detail procedure after connecting it. Another thing is: sir alex, when you restore Duokan files in userstore, can you tell me more details about it? i mean at least give me some more directions.

concerning the recovery mode, i can't gain access to it with kindle 3. but interestingly, when i get into the recovery mode, my computer is able to detect the kindle flash drive via usb, just that the drive is completely empty.

would this evidence helps a bit? thanks again!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 AM   #7
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
Download the latest firmware 3.1 from amazon site and place it in the root folder. And then restart, there is a chance it will make a fresh install. I pressed "1" if i don't remember wrong but as i said i was on a kindle DX and recovery menus are different as far as i know.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
mahoteacher

um...doesn't work either, still stuck at the middle of the loading bar. *sigh*
Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
Sir Alex
Groupie

mahoteacher,
1. Start recovery mode (Hold down [Enter] key during restart), Choose Export over USB):
Code:
I -> Initialize partitions
O -> Format Userstore
E -> Export over USB
U -> Update Kernel + Rootfs
Q -> Quit and Reboot
Warning, Do not choose O, I options, you will damage your Kindle
2. Connect to computer
3. Unpack Duokan system files into Kindle root folder (As usual Duokan install, except copying *.bin files).
4. Restart Kindle

Last edited by Sir Alex; 06-25-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:24 AM   #10
mahoteacher

do you mean simply copying the duokan system files into kindle root folder (without copying any .bin to it)? if yes, then i've also tried that (after reprep asked me to put the upgrade firmware into root), and it doesn't work :'(

so my last resort would be to get a serial adapter, or it no longer matters anymore?

Last edited by mahoteacher; 06-25-2011 at 07:39 AM.