Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
PRS T3 $99 (without cover?) in Canada. Anyone seen one?

Future shop and Best Buy are listing the T3 for $99 and it doesn't appear to have a cover.

I am thinking to get one as I don't want a non lit cover and am prepared to deal with an exposed back if this is the case. Maybe I would get the lighted cover, maybe not.

Future Shop only displays last years models most of which they no longer sell or none at all in the stores I have visited, and I am not close to a Best Buy.

If anyone has seen one I would like to know if it has a cover or a back.

Thank you.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
There was another thread for T3s without covers sold in Germany and they came with a detachable back plate. I think there were pictures also.

Post: "Sony PRS-T3S without cover available for preorder in Germany" by medard.

Don't know how to get the thread link to post.
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 11-18-2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: added content
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
There was another thread for T3s without covers sold in Germany and they came with a detachable back plate. I think there were pictures also.

Post: "Sony PRS-T3S without cover available for preorder in Germany" by medard.

Don't know how to get the thread link to post.
--MH
Here you go...

Sony PRS-T3S without cover available for preorder in Germany
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The PRS-T3S is the version sold without the snapback cover, but it has a back on it, so there is nothing exposed. medard originally posted about it being available for pre-order in Germany here. In the last few posts of the thread you can read what hansl thinks of his.

ebook.de has some photos, one shows the back of it on the individual product page:
http://www.ebook.de/de/product/21504...n_schwarz.html

Edit: beaten to it, can't believe it took me over 10 minutes to search for the original thread and type this reply!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
speakingtohe,

This may have changed, but now the price is for the PRS-T2, not T3.
Check here: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/categ...dName%253aSONY

Edit: sorry Helen this is there! I really need glasses. But that is probably a good new to me and a bad one for my PRS-T1!

Last edited by Arios; 11-18-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you everybody. I read the thread at the time but I think I didn't subscribe so missed a few posts.

Big question now is do I order online or tromp down to Future Shop. Must find tromping shoes first thing in the morning.

Helen
Old 11-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
I'm awfully tempted to grab a T3 for $99.
My 650 still works wonderfully, and I don't want it getting jealous, but I'm really really really tempted, just because I constantly fail my saving throws vs. shiny.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
I'm awfully tempted to grab a T3 for $99.
My 650 still works wonderfully, and I don't want it getting jealous, but I'm really really really tempted, just because I constantly fail my saving throws vs. shiny.
Personally I think a 650 is as good as it gets. I had a 350 which I sold to a friend, and while I don't necessarily regret it I haven't been able to bring myself to remove it from my profile. Keep thinking I will get another or he will want to sell it back (fat chance).

I doubt your 650 will get jealous. Perhaps it will develop a smug sense of superiority instead.

I'm going to buy a T3 and would be doing that when the stores open if I wasn't expecting delivery from Canada Post this AM of a laptop I ordered for a friend.

I may get the lighted cover as well, as I am one of the few who dislike the built in light.

I can justify this quite well (can't we always if we try hard enough) by my intention to give either my T1 or my Aura HD to my mother whose kindle 3 is starting to act up.

Helen
Old 11-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Personally I think a 650 is as good as it gets.

I doubt your 650 will get jealous. Perhaps it will develop a smug sense of superiority instead.

Helen

I agree. The only reason I'd want a T3 really, is as a backup JIC unit. I love my 650, but I'm getting more and more leery of taking it out of the house in case some freak accident occurs and something happens to it.
I've been tempted to go with a Kobo, as I wasn't too impressed with either the T1 or T2, but the T3 for 99 bucks is really tempting.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard

Well I bought one and it is charging as we speak.
I went to a Future Shop that had it and the new Aura on display and I liked the T3 the best
The new Aura looks nice with the flush screen, but I liked the aspect ratio of the Sony T3 bezel better and the less shiny screen. I'll admit the built in light is nice for some, but it bothers my eyes and is pretty hard to adjust on my Aura HD. And the T3 back feels much better as well.

The T3 is bigger than my mini, but still very pocket sized and feels very light.

Now I must back up the reader with an image and wait for it to charge

Helen
Old 11-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well I bought one and it is charging as we speak.
I went to a Future Shop that had it and the new Aura on display and I liked the T3 the best
The new Aura looks nice with the flush screen, but I liked the aspect ratio of the Sony T3 bezel better and the less shiny screen. I'll admit the built in light is nice for some, but it bothers my eyes and is pretty hard to adjust on my Aura HD. And the T3 back feels much better as well.
Sounds nice. Wish I could find someplace that sells this model and ships to the US. I'm not willing to drop the $200 Shop eReaders want with shipping for the one with a cover I'm not interested in having anyway especially with no hands on. I too am not really a fan of the front light as every device I've had or seen with one is slightly degraded in text quality versus one without the light layer. I have no problems adjusting the light on my Aura HD, but I never turn it on (used it three brief times since April). Hope you'll report back with more experiences once you've gotten some hours on it.

What I'd really love is to be able to take a 650 and retrofit the T3's screen to it.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard

I'm in love. Not like I was with my first Sony, but close. So no detachment I am afraid. Still it must be nice for me to become so attached so quickly.

No page skips so far, no application error messages, even after trying to force one for an hour, and I do know how to force them on the T1 in less than a minute.

Collections open in 5 seconds, book menu in under 2. I have 1449 books and 720 collections so this seems reasonable although it seems that my 350 was marginally faster opening collections. All on main memory. I will put an SD card in tomorrow probably and a bunch more content as I want to see if there are problems.

The back feels much like the mini back which I like. I do wish it had tap to turn, but I adjust easily

It feels solid, again like the Kobo Mini, and is smaller and lighter than the T1.

The power button is too closely colour matched to the case though and I have to look for it. A minor matter as I just have to push in the area to turn it off and on. I am just used to seeing it.

So far it seems very stable and I have been prodding it a lot.

Helen
Old 11-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
Congratulations, Helen! Can't wait to hear all about your new T-3!
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
speakingtohe
Wizard

See message above yours Plumadona

Helen
Old 11-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
I do wish it had tap to turn, but I adjust easily
That's one of the few things I wish Sony's had.

Sounds like an awesome device overall.