Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2015, 11:13 PM   #856
Hio
Hio began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Thank you, it worked..
though i cant seem to get into koreader...it's automatically starting in nickel and wont switch to koreader..is this cause the start menu's been wiped?

So for the future to avoid that, and before i test it with Calibre again..
How do i back it up?
Hio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #857
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm not a koreader / KSM or any mod user, but if they installed bits in the .kobo directory, or rely on certain entities being processed and added to the database, those bits will also have been wiped out.

The database can be backed up manually by saving a copy of .kobo\KoboReader.sqlite or you can use calibre and the Kobo Utilities plugin to take backups.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 01:02 AM   #858
Hio

thank you..

all reset, though i havent tried yet to replug it into calibre
Old 02-05-2015, 03:18 AM   #859
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hio View Post
Thank you, it worked..
though i cant seem to get into koreader...it's automatically starting in nickel and wont switch to koreader..is this cause the start menu's been wiped?

So for the future to avoid that, and before i test it with Calibre again..
How do i back it up?
If there is no user input for 20 seconds after boot, nickel is automatically started. To exit nickel and go back to the KSM menu, you can open exit_nickel.png in nickel. That is, if KSM is still on the device. If it is wiped off, then it is a different case of course.

I am currently preparing a new version of KSM that will not use the .kobo folder any longer as its location.

Last edited by tshering; 02-05-2015 at 05:07 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 12:17 PM   #860
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
Hi

I installed KSM. It seemed to work then I wanted to start nickel to use the reader then the Kobo constantly wants to update itself and it wants to sign in constantly I do not get this. Now the KSM does not start during boot either.

One of the anomolies is that Nickel does not seem to remember the wireless password.

What am I supposed to do?

thanks
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #861
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I can't answer the KSM issues but for the WiFi issue see if this helps

Unable to add WiFi Network and solution
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #862
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
@loviedovie
Sorry, I am not sure whether I understand exactly what you are telling. I try to answer your questions, but my answers might miss the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loviedovie View Post
Hi

I installed KSM. It seemed to work then I wanted to start nickel to use the reader then the Kobo constantly wants to update itself
I understand that the reader has downloaded an update package. As long as this update package is in the folder .kobo, nickel will refuse to start. You have two options: Install the package, or delete it. If you decide to install the package you have again two options in KSM: "Install update" will install the complete update package, as a result KSM will be disabled (since by installing the update package, a file that is vital for KSM will be overwritten). If however you choose "install partial update" KSM will remain active. If you delete the update package, nickel will try to download it again as soon as wifi is switched on.
Quote:
and it wants to sign in constantly I do not get this.
I am not sure if I understand this. If you signed out from your account, you have to sign in again (if you want your device to communicate with the kobo server; if you do not want this, there is a way to avoid the official activation).
Quote:
Now the KSM does not start during boot either.
If you did sign out, chances are that KSM was deleted as part of the sign out process. If you want to reinstall KSM, do not do it now. I will release an improved version very soon.
Quote:
One of the anomolies is that Nickel does not seem to remember the wireless password.
I hope that PeterT's link could help you with this problem.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #863
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Hi

I installed KSM. It seemed to work then I wanted to start nickel to use the reader then the Kobo constantly wants to update itself and it wants to sign in constantly I do not get this. Now the KSM does not start during boot either.

What am I supposed to do?

thanks
Did your Kobo do an update? If so it, the update, would have taken KSM out. (You can avoid part of this by; when using KSM's "Handle Update" you use the Partial update option. )

If Nickel were functioning properly it would be updating the .conf file whenever a network is added. Since it is not, apparently, "Peter T's" fix should fix that.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:13 PM   #864
loviedovie
Addict
loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.loviedovie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bookeen
hello

Thanks for all the replies. I tried couple methods but nothing seemed to work. Somehow Kobo was forgetting its own actions (ie ie already logged in account) and I was unable to boot with KSM.

I went ahead and deleted my database and reinstalled KSM. It seemed to fix it. I am not sure how the databse file might have been corrupted since I have been mostly using Koreader via KSM.

Anyway thanks for all the help and the great modificiation.
loviedovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 01:07 AM   #865
Hio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If there is no user input for 20 seconds after boot, nickel is automatically started. To exit nickel and go back to the KSM menu, you can open exit_nickel.png in nickel. That is, if KSM is still on the device. If it is wiped off, then it is a different case of course.

I am currently preparing a new version of KSM that will not use the .kobo folder any longer as its location.
thank you, yes ksm was wiped..
all back in running order now...

and i have a back up going, does backing up the KoboReader.sqlite file also back up annotations?
Old 02-06-2015, 01:18 AM   #866
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hio View Post
and i have a back up going, does backing up the KoboReader.sqlite file also back up annotations?
Yes, the annotations made using the Kobo software are all stored in the database.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:54 AM   #867
KittQB
KittQB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hello,
Is it possible to create a symlink in Kobo? (Kobo Touch)
For instance by the command: ln -s /mnt/sd/.smthn /mnt/onboard/.smthn_else
I've tried but failed...
and if it was possible, in what script of KSM it would be the best to put it?

Last edited by KittQB; 02-06-2015 at 12:06 PM.
KittQB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:21 PM   #868
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@KittQB: onboard (and most likely the external sd, too) are vfat (FAT32), so, nope, not supported by the FS.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #869
embryo
Fanatic
embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.embryo calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
If you want to reinstall KSM, do not do it now. I will release an improved version very soon.
@tshering
Since we're close to a new release I have a small suggestion (if it is possible and is still time).

Instead of the "Install update", "Install partial update" that confuse some users, you could use something like "Full update, clear KSM", "Partial update, keep KSM", "Install update but clear KSM", "Install update and keep KSM", or equivalent.

Anyway, thank your efforts.
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:08 AM   #870
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Yes, this seems much clearer what partial update actually means. Otherwise, it suggests that update wouldn't be processed in full. I know that update wouldn't be processed in full, so KSM still stays installed, but wording is a bit misleading.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote