Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-27-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
IAmNotAJerk
IAmNotAJerk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Any ways to sync every highlighted notes?

I am complete new to the community and have zero knowledge about programming. But I was wondering why cross devices ebook annotations syncing would be so difficult.
I know we can have various ways to fetch or export annotations into txt files, but I think what most people wants is to have these annotations shown at the right place when they open up ebook files in different devices: highlighted text at the place where it suppose to be highlighted when opening epubs.
I know an annotation plugin for Calibre is in progress and I really appreciate it. I was wondering will there be chances for me to syncing annotations and have them highlighted when i use the epub reader in calibre? Amazons and other ebook corporations have various annotations format, will converting these annotations format across different corporation be difficult? And, can I turn the exported txt annotation files from various devices into highlighted annotations shown in calibre's epub reader?
I often feel really frustrated, worrying if I will be stuck with the same ebook provider after i spend so many time reading and annotating my ebook.
Not a native English speaker, so sorry for my poor English.
IAmNotAJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
At the moment, the calibre viewer supports bookmarks. It doesn't support highlighting text and saving that with an annotation. If that changes, I will look at adding the function to the Annotations plugin. But, it might not be possible for all formats and devices. I should be able to do if for the Kobo ereaders, but I'm not so sure about the Kindles.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 12:22 AM   #3
IAmNotAJerk
IAmNotAJerk began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks a lot, I have been using your plugin and its really great.
I found this on Github but im not capable of reading the technical languages and hence not sure if this is already a mature and stable plugin.
[url=https://github.com/whacked/calibre-viewer-annotation[/url]
I was wondering if converting various highlights/notes/bookmarks format among different ebook devices would be technically difficult that can not be seen in near future? Would a development open source annotation format be an easy task?
IAmNotAJerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I look at "Highlights" as something different from "Notes" or "Annotation". KOReader handles "Highlights" (highlighted existing text in a book) in a few ways, including wirelessly sending them to your "Evernote" account. They are also included in the SDR files that are now what is "synced" between KOReader devices (KOReader runs on a number of devices including Kindle, Kobo, Pocketbook, and some Android)

As for user added text, "Notes" or "Annotations", not yet. You can add a comment to the "Book Status/Statistics" page, and I would expect that to be included in the SDR, but it is not something I have tried.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote