Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 04-18-2003, 10:20 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
My Clie seems to have died :(

Well it seems that my Clie has finally giving up life. I noticed before that when it was fully charged, a day later or so (without any use) the battery was totally empty. Now it happened again, just want to turn it off - dead.

I don't think that it was any mishaving app because I haven't installed anything new in years and before things have always been fine.

Oh well. It came without warning. Should it rest in piece. My good old Clie 760.

The question is, what will by next PDA...

Old 04-18-2003, 10:40 AM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Sounds like your battery died, not the Clie! The recharge batts can suddenly die after a year or two of use. Could try a replacement battery, or are you just looking for an excuse to get an NZ? (Hey, they double as a door stop!)

$50 for a new battery here: http://www.cliebattery.com/

There are a few other sites that sell replacement batts as well.
Advert
Old 04-18-2003, 10:44 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

heh i paid $250 for my Clie when it was new. I think it is time to get a new one. Just so weird... I thought the battery was degrading SLOWLY and not just like this.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:51 AM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

If you want to mess with it (and it's truly the battery), $50 will get you $175-225 on eBay for your 760.

Rumor mills have Sony about to announce two new PDAs...looks like another high-end monster, but scuttlebutt has it that there's a new "other" level Clie coming...might be worth a wait and see...

You have a backup PDA, or ? Does it turn on while in the cradle? Just curious....
Old 04-18-2003, 10:55 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

I just plugged it in the wall and it is charging again. Ram is all lost (made my last hotsync 2 days ago). The really weird thing was that my Clie was on the table and I heard a strange clicking noise. First I thought it came from my cellular but then it was my Clie! It never did that before. I took it close to my ear to make sure it really came from it I then tried to turn it on but it wouldn't let me so I presumed that the battery was empty (despite it being at 4.12V yesterday).

Now that I am charging the Clie I can turn it on again.
Advert
Old 04-18-2003, 11:04 AM   #6
gvtexas
Addict

Well...don't feel too bad. The night after my first time playing with the T-Mobile HotSpot at Starbucks, I knocked my laptop off the table i use it on next to my easy chair, and it went flying and dropped about 3 feet down and 5 feet away, and slid some more upside down. Broke the hinge on the screen (the one good hinge...the other one broke long ago), and the thing was laying there with the display attached to the box only by it's ribbon cable! Screen didn't break (thank God), and i braced the hinge side like I did the other, and the damn thing still works. Beginning to believe it's indestructible (although the evil part of me wants it to die so I can pop for a new Centrino notebook... ).
Old 04-18-2003, 02:26 PM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Ok, this is really weird. My Clie didn't die (gawd forbid), but it did totally hard reset this morning and wiped out everything except what was in ROM.

I was going to try out ZLauncher, which I've heard great things about. After the sync, I went to launch the demo and poof!. I've spent the day (off and on) reinstalling apps. On the upside, in some ways it's like having a whole new Clie....

Sorry to hear about your problems guys. You have to admit that it's ironic, to say the least.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:53 AM   #8
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
if you will buy a new Clie, go for the SJ33

or you might find The Dark Side tempting
Old 04-21-2003, 11:38 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

My clie is now running in factory-mode (i.e. no programs installed after hard reset). It seems that the battery is OK - so it must have been some misbehaving app. Good? Bad? I guess good because I was not willing to buy a new PDA (yet). Only don't know how to find out which app was misbehaving
Old 04-21-2003, 11:59 PM   #10
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Have you installed anything new lately?
Also, are you running PiDirect II with more than about 75 files in one directory? It's somewhat random, but that's been the major cause of spontaneous hard resets for me (Four in one day once). The developer recommends 50 files max, and I learned that the hard way.
Scott
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 AM   #11
Unregistered
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
My clie is now running in factory-mode (i.e. no programs installed after hard reset). It seems that the battery is OK - so it must have been some misbehaving app. Good? Bad? I guess good because I was not willing to buy a new PDA (yet). Only don't know how to find out which app was misbehaving
dont hotsync if you think that is the issue... you will just end up installing the corrupted file again.. I recommend you start on a clean slate.. either create a new user or delete the backup folder (or rename it)
with palm, backup folder has the hotsync user name under folder C:\Palm ... i dont think clies are much different

after that start scrutinizing each app you install, most probably it will be a new app that done this..
in any case you might not get the issue again after a clean start.

Old 04-22-2003, 07:46 AM   #12
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
oops forgot to insert user/pass, so I posted as guest
Old 04-23-2003, 08:07 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Thanks Saud, I did what you said. In fact, I did not reinstall any hacks this time. Seems to be working. We will see.

Btw, check your Private Messages, Saud
Old 05-22-2003, 09:31 AM   #14
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Ok I think I found the culprit. There was a longer discussion on the Pimlico Yahoo Group on DateBK5 not properly turning off the Clie.

Seems it is fixed now with the latest beta