Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcinus View Post
Does this mean your Foleosis has been cured?
Believe it or not, it even exacerbates the symptoms. I want a Foleo more than ever. The Lenovo tablet will be good for serious computing around the house or at a table. My smart phone is great for limited "always in my pocket" computing. But there's still a need for Foleo/UMPC computing. UMPCs are a bit expensive, and Foleo is a bit limited. So people will have differing opinions.

My thought is that Foleo can do email, web and MS Office documents. That's good enough for me when I'm on the go. If it's a well designed product it could be really useful. The size and portability of a smaller, instant on, device makes it something that I would be a hundred times more likely to carry with me at meetings, conferences, on planes or in cars, etc. But like UMPCs, the Foleo is also in an immature state, so better to wait for more powerful devices with better smart phone integration and more third party applications.

So my Foleosis really does seem to be nearly incurable if the product is well-done.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:29 PM   #17
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Do you mean the page where you select the RAM, HD, etc.? That's where I was. I was only offered the one battery and one warranty option. If they put more options elsewhere, then their website setup is f***ing stupid.

I am also amazed at the delay you have to suffer. I ordered my last Dell laptop on a Monday. UPS delivered it on the following Monday. That is the turnaround time I measure everyone else against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
Actually, Lenovo has had a fantastic reputation for hardware so far. And for the X61, they do have a warranty (plus accident protection if you want it) for up to 4 years. You probably have to go to the second page of the order customizations.

I agree that a lot of these online sellers make the order process painful and the right information is not always there, or on the right screens where you need it. Partly, I suspect that it's on purpose - they want people to just make quick decisions without researching, so they pick the "recommended" high profit selections, and throw in some of the unnecessary accessories and software that are high profit add ons which aren't even needed by most people.

But I think you pretty much see that on all the major online computer makers.

The frustration I face is that it will be quite a while before the order ships. (Right now it says 7/12, but there have been reports that those ship dates can often slip.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, it's the next page. On my order, I believe the page with hard drive and RAM options only had a single 1-yr warranty line listed at the bottom. But when I clicked on "CONTINUE", all the full warranty selections were there at the top of that next page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you mean the page where you select the RAM, HD, etc.? That's where I was. I was only offered the one battery and one warranty option.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
So my Foleosis really does seem to be nearly incurable if the product is well-done.
Ah! This sentence clinches it - you've been cured
You've stopped trying to find excuses for buying Foleo and resorted to waiting for a v2.0

Edit: FWIW, i had a chance to play with an X60t and review it recently, and it's a really nice little machine (as long as you replace the light battery it comes with with the 8-cell one - the 4-cell lasts for only about an hour and a half of real use). I quite liked it (although i still consider slate Tablet PC's the only *true* tablets) and am sure you'll be really happy with your X61t.

Last edited by orcinus; 06-10-2007 at 07:00 PM.
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #20
jkendrick
jkendrick is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony U-70 /Toshiba e805
Bob, excellent choice, you will love it! Marc and I just released the podcast covering the X61 today.
jkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2007, 10:25 PM   #21
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
One thing about the Foleo . . .

One think that might excite me about the Foleo is the possibility that it could come up with a screenful of Palm apps. I mean, you turn it on and within a second, you have access to everything you could see on a Palm T|X screen (for example). With that combination, the Foleo would be one of the easiest-to-use computers on the market.

I have purchased computers for nontech people in my family several times. I have taught them how to get on the internet and use email and chat. The next time I see them they have forgotten or become confused.

With the Foleo (in this fantasy) there would be no waiting. Grandma could click the listen-to-music icon or the view-my-photos icon.

Maybe I am deluding myself. Maybe it is just too much to expect.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
My thought is that Foleo can do email, web and MS Office documents.
Do we know this, though? I thought the Foleo didn't come with anything other than contacts, calendar and web browsing. I'd LOVE to be wrong about that.

Lenovo's web site may be lacking, but bear in mind that Lenovo is really a corporate PC brand and not a consumer brand; most of their sales go to businesses, and most business are buying from a reseller like CDW or Insight, and not from Lenovo directly. The Lenovos aren't sexy, but they're solid.
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:48 AM   #23
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0 View Post
Do we know this, though? I thought the Foleo didn't come with anything other than contacts, calendar and web browsing. I'd LOVE to be wrong about that.
It CAN open office attachments and uses Documents To Go, at least according to the official site:
http://www.palm.com/us/products/mobi...tachments.html
Old 06-11-2007, 12:10 PM   #24
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
And web browsing would get you to any e-mail client that you can access over the web.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:18 PM   #25
erwin
Newton Zaelot
erwin is on a distinguished road

Device: Toshiba G900, Newton
Hi Bob!

I advise you to consider a Compaq/HP Tc1000 or TC1100 TabletPc.

You can find a review of the TC1100 here:
http://www.tabletpc2.com/Review-HPTC1100.htm

and of the TC1000 here:
http://reviews.cnet.com/HP_Compaq_Ta...-20627295.html

You should be able to fetch them used on ebay, the TC1100 for around 7-800 US$ and the TC1000 for around 4-500 US$.

I used to own a TC1000 and now have a TC1100, and found them reliable. The only real problem with the TC1000 was the affidability of the powered stylus, a problem that is totally solved by the TC1100 un-powered one.
erwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 04:27 PM   #26
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think Bob's pretty well decided, erwin, but I'm looking at a TC4400 through work, do you think your experiences with the 1100 would apply well to the 4400?
Old 06-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #27
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

The main issues with the new HP tablet that ruled it out for me were battery life and heat/fan noise. Besides it wasn't that much cheaper either.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

Hmmm. I'm not sure how much those will bother me, since I won't be using it "on the go" so much as transporting it from place to place.

I am a bit concerned about the lack of an optical drive, but I'll figure something out on that, I'm sure.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #29
orcinus
Gadgeteer

If you're looking for a vintage slate Tablet, the best one ever made IMHO was NEC's Versa T400. Especially for reading ebooks

I had it for about a year, then sold it because i needed the money (for other gadgets ). It weighed 1kg (2.2lb), was thick 1.5cm and had almost exact footprint of an A4 page. You could easily hold it in one hand for long periods of time and it never heated up above lukewarm levels. It used a Wacom digitizer (with a non-powered, or, actually, inductive pen) with pressure sensitivity and came with two pens - one stylus sized, without pressure sensitivity and an eraser, that fit inside the tablet, and a larger, typical Wacom pen, with all the bells and whistles. It was ideal for reading, quick jotting on the go and quick/light graphics editing.

It's only downsides were relatively non-impressive battery life (around 2.5-3 hours of averagely to slightly above averagely intense use - read: light Photoshopping) and limited storage space (20 GB HDD, and it was very hard to replace it, because it was of the slim, 5mm kind).

I kinda regret i sold it... :/

Last edited by orcinus; 06-11-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:13 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'm not really looking for vintage, so much as a telecommuting/desktop replacement machine, and I don't expect to be reading all that much on it, I've got my Sony Reader for that.

But it does sound like an impressive system from those early Tablet days.