Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Tablet computing wins another convert - me!

I've never owned a tablet PC before. Until now. I just broke down and spent what feels like my life's savings on a Lenovo X61 tablet convertible. It won out over my other alternatives: a Q1 Ultra or the yet unreleased Asus T83.

Some of you may wonder why I would choose a bulkier X61 over a UMPC, when I clearly love the advantages of a lighter device with a 7"-10" screen size.

The decision was based mostly on the quality and power and years of service it should give me versus a Q1 Ultra. How could I compromise features with the Q1 just to cut the size in half? I am hoping that the additional size and weight of the X61 is somewhat offset by the ability to use it as a slate on my lap. As wonderful and useful as the Q1 would be, it seemed a bit too much like an underpowered toy, and I preferred a convertible form factor. In addition, I know that UMPCs are going to be revolutionized in price, features and power over the next couple of years anyway, so it just seemed too early to get one.

I suppose the Lenovo tablet might be "overkill", but I know it's got the power and storage I need, and now I get to see how both active and passive digitizers work as well as getting a larger screen. That should give me a much better basis of experience for making decisions about future UMPC purchases. (You know... somewhere around the year 2020 after my gadget budget recovers from this purchase!)

I prefer the Q1 size, but I just didn't feel that the UMPCs are quite mature enough to spend all that money on one. I do still long for a UMPC in addition to my X61 because I think the portability would revolutionize my computing life. But at this point a UMPC is going to have to wait. Maybe in 2020!

Obvious warning: Don't assume that the X61 is the right choice for everyone. It was the right choice for me, but a UMPC might be your perfect choice. As they always emphasize about tablet devices over at JKonTheRun, for example, these devices all involve trade offs. No single product is going to be best for everyone.

Obvious question: Will the X61 also be useful as a ridiculously expensive and overpowered e-book reader? I hope so!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Bob: That should work out to about $15 per month from now until 2020. You can do it. By then the prices on UMPC should drop a bit and have improved functionality.

OK, it can read A4 and letter sized PDFs.

Now the question on everyone's mind is: "Can you keep the Lenovo X61 working for 13 years?" Or are you going to use Paris Hilton accounting and get a new machine later this year?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #3
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Surprise!

Bob, I am surprised your enthusiasm was diverted from the Foleo!

Personally I am going to take the money I save by not buying a Lenovo X61 tablet and invest it in 12 Asus Eees. I will glue one to each bathroom wall, another one to the kitchen wall, keep one in the glove box "just in case". I will carry one in my book bag and keep another one on the coffee table. The folks at the internet coffee shop will keep an extra one under the counter for me for when I am thirsty. I will use the others for doorstops until a new purpose for them occurs to me.

But seriously, congratulations. This review suggests it is a great package. I am looking forward to your ongoing impressions of it.

It seems that a few months ago the choices were rather mundane. Now the tech market is turning into such a candy store. I am rather thankful I can only buy once a year when I visit the west.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:41 AM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@RWood: You'd be surprised! I have another ThinkPad laptop that I still like, which is probably about 13yrs old, and I can still use (well only for MS Office, and only when plugged into the wall outlet because the battery doesn't hold a charge!)

@Mogui: I like that! The "Tribble" philosophy for ubiquitous computing. You might be on to something!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Congrats on the new acquisition, Bob! I hope it works out really well for you. I should be getting a similar system soon through work (if they procurement folks ever get off it), and I have high hopes for the advantages the dual form factor will add to the way I work. I think it'll fit well with the way I already do things.

@ mogui, you present a very ... interesting image of your home.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:48 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
The decision was based mostly on the quality and power and years of service it should give me versus a Q1 Ultra.
Bob, and I thought it was I who influenced you in your decision-making Congrats on your new purchase. I know you'll love it -- common, it's a Lenovo, and we know they make the best PC notebooks out there!!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Congrats Bob,

I was never a Laptop-guy myself (anything that I can't upgrade myself is out of the question for me... ) but I think the advantages over the UMPC are the same as my newest Mobile Phone (a Fujitsu-Siemens T830) over most of the other Omni-Phones out there.

Small size may be cool, but you need to be able to actually use the device, and the more functions it has the more keys it should have (really..) because all those fancy on-screen keyboards and stuff just don't have what it takes to replace a REAL keyboard and systems like predictive input have their limits...and you usually find them more limiting than you would expect...
I love the T830 because it means I can enter text (for calender entries, mobileread.com posts on-the-go and short emails) easily in whichever language I choose and can also tap the screen to quickly select certain links in the browser and so on...it's the first gadget-device where I have the feeling that I can actually use many of the functions...!!!

I hope you are as happy with your device as I am with mine!
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
@Mogui: I like that! The "Tribble" philosophy for ubiquitous computing. You might be on to something!
Ha ha! I had forgotten about the Tribbles! I must find that story again.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #9
mogui
eNigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I was never a Laptop-guy myself (anything that I can't upgrade myself is out of the question for me... ) but I think the advantages over the UMPC are the same as my newest Mobile Phone (a Fujitsu-Siemens T830) over most of the other Omni-Phones out there.

How can we define true love? Many years ago I developed a couple of protocol analyzers for the aircraft industry. They were done on what we called a "lunchbox machine". It had an early monochrome LCD and could house several ISA boards for added functionality.

It was luggable. It was lovable. Years later I found one in a thrift store. It still clutters up my apartment. I can't get rid of it. It is sooo practical, and soooo obsolete!

Last edited by mogui; 06-10-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:47 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Has anyone looked at the Lenovo website? You can tell that they are trying to copy Dell, but fall short.

It's disappointing. They only offer one battery option, and only a 1 yr warranty. I, for one, always get at least a three year warranty on my laptop. Until they offer one there is no way I would buy a laptop from them. What does it say about their hardware, if they only warranty it for a year?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:04 AM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Actually, Lenovo has had a fantastic reputation for hardware so far. And for the X61, they do have a warranty (plus accident protection if you want it) for up to 4 years. You probably have to go to the second page of the order customizations.

I agree that a lot of these online sellers make the order process painful and the right information is not always there, or on the right screens where you need it. Partly, I suspect that it's on purpose - they want people to just make quick decisions without researching, so they pick the "recommended" high profit selections, and throw in some of the unnecessary accessories and software that are high profit add ons which aren't even needed by most people.

But I think you pretty much see that on all the major online computer makers.

The frustration I face is that it will be quite a while before the order ships. (Right now it says 7/12, but there have been reports that those ship dates can often slip.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Has anyone looked at the Lenovo website? You can tell that they are trying to copy Dell, but fall short.

It's disappointing. They only offer one battery option, and only a 1 yr warranty. I, for one, always get at least a three year warranty on my laptop. Until they offer one there is no way I would buy a laptop from them. What does it say about their hardware, if they only warranty it for a year?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #12
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Quite true, Alex! I had ruled out Lenovo because of the price, until you urged me to give it a second and third look. So you definitely get your share of the blame credit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Bob, and I thought it was I who influenced you in your decision-making Congrats on your new purchase. I know you'll love it -- common, it's a Lenovo, and we know they make the best PC notebooks out there!!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

An indication that UMPCs may still be premature in 2007

This is a very interesting article expressing concern with the current platform being used for the newer UMPCs like the Samsung Q1 Ultra. The thought is that if you are getting a UMPC and can wait, then the next generation chips for 2008 will be much more suitable.

http://ultramobilepc-tips.blogspot.c...-stop-gap.html
Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 AM   #14
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Does this mean your Foleosis has been cured?
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:18 PM   #15
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
<< take two tablets and call me in the morning >>
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote