Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 11:30 AM   #931
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
So far its just ok but I'm not very far in yet. I've not yet read/listened to any other Linwood Barclay however I've had several friends and family speak highly of No Time for Goodbye.

Last year I listened to Stay Close by Harlan Cobden and agree with your comments on it which is unusual for me as I usually adore Scott Brick although I wasn't sure weather to blame the author or the narrator
I'd mostly blame the author, but the way Brick performs some passages just emphasizes their flaws--it's like Brick's saying, "Listen this is really deep and important and meaningful"--but it simply isn't, and I'd prefer if he'd just save the flourishes for the parts that really are dramatic and exciting.

I'm not especially a fan of Scott Brick. I liked his performance of In Cold Blood, but not so much for the Harlan Coben or Gregg Hurwitz thrillers I've listened to.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #932
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Just as I pulled into the driveway on my way home from my swim yesterday, I got to the end of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House as read by Bernadette Dunne. Very well done. I'm not big on horror so I'm just as glad it wasn't a gore-fest, but a study of personalities with much nebulous.

Sooooo, here's my issue: I've got a few options already loaded onto my waterproof player, but the next one up as heralded by Simon Vance's plummy tones before I cut it off is #6 in the Aubrey/Maturin series, The Fortune of War. I told myself I was going to wait until Labor Day weekend, but I'm mightily tempted. Should I be strong and skip through to my next choice? Or cave, given that summer is short and almost over and I love O'Brian while I swim?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #933
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Life is short, go for the good stuff. Read the Aubrey/Maturin.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #934
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Just as I pulled into the driveway on my way home from my swim yesterday, I got to the end of Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House as read by Bernadette Dunne. Very well done. I'm not big on horror so I'm just as glad it wasn't a gore-fest, but a study of personalities with much nebulous.

Sooooo, here's my issue: I've got a few options already loaded onto my waterproof player, but the next one up as heralded by Simon Vance's plummy tones before I cut it off is #6 in the Aubrey/Maturin series, The Fortune of War. I told myself I was going to wait until Labor Day weekend, but I'm mightily tempted. Should I be strong and skip through to my next choice? Or cave, given that summer is short and almost over and I love O'Brian while I swim?
Stay with Shirley: We Have Always Lived in the Castle is also available as an audiobook.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:08 AM   #935
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just finished Death Warmed Over by Kevin J Anderson and narrated by Phil Gigante. I recommend this book for zombie fans and fans of camp and maybe even Dresden Files fans. Fair amount of wit makes the story.

Moving onto Robin Hobb: The Assassin's Apprentice for audiobook.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #936
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Life is short, go for the good stuff. Read the Aubrey/Maturin.
I'll blame you, then.

(Thank you, it's obviously what I wanted to hear.)
Old 08-15-2014, 11:19 AM   #937
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Stay with Shirley: We Have Always Lived in the Castle is also available as an audiobook.
Ah, thanks for the recommendation! I think I do better when I break up the authors even if by something short, but it's a good choice for the queue.

Oh, I just checked my OverDrive libraries and they don't have We Have Always Lived in the Castle in audio, so it'll have to be Audible and my waterproof player, otherwise sterling in every respect, doesn't do Audible. I'll get to it, though, thanks again.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #938
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the recommendation! I think I do better when I break up the authors even if by something short, but it's a good choice for the queue.

Oh, I just checked my OverDrive libraries and they don't have We Have Always Lived in the Castle in audio, so it'll have to be Audible and my waterproof player, otherwise sterling in every respect, doesn't do Audible. I'll get to it, though, thanks again.
You _do_ know it is possible to "clean" Audible and convert to MP3 or M4b, right? Though I admit, I always insist that any player I buy support Audible, I also make archival copies. JIC.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #939
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Downpour has it too in mp3 format.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:15 PM   #940
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
You _do_ know it is possible to "clean" Audible and convert to MP3 or M4b, right? Though I admit, I always insist that any player I buy support Audible, I also make archival copies. JIC.
Yep. Even if you don't get software that removes the DRM, there is always the analog hole (i.e. software that simply records the audiobook as it's played). The big reason that I'm willing to spend as much as I do on audiobooks and ebooks is that I can format shift and not worry about not having access to my books at a future date.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:21 AM   #941
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Yep. Even if you don't get software that removes the DRM, there is always the analog hole (i.e. software that simply records the audiobook as it's played). The big reason that I'm willing to spend as much as I do on audiobooks and ebooks is that I can format shift and not worry about not having access to my books at a future date.
I know it's possible in theory, but not for me in fact, lol. I'm all thumbs when it comes to tech. My attitude is not to worry about it for the moment. Except for Audible my audiobook purchases are DRM-free and I'm betting Audible's not going anywhere for now. If the situation looks as if it's changing, I guess I'm in for a bad patch as I try to figure things out.

I confess, I didn't realize that the Aerb wasn't Audible-compatible until after I bought it. (Too clueless to check.) Fortunately OverDrive has met my needs on that front (never a wait at my libraries for Aubrey/Maturin!) and I really like the Aerb as a device. My books from Downpour and elsewhere tend to be more serious stuff and not what I want while swimming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Downpour has it too in mp3 format.
Thanks! I've postponed the decision for now, but I'm thinking it might be a good purchase at Audible with the $10 credit I need to spend in the next couple of weeks.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM   #942
CRussel
(he/him/his)

OK, but let me know if you need help. Though I agree, I don't think Audible is going anywhere, at least not any time soon.
Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM   #943
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
OK, but let me know if you need help. Though I agree, I don't think Audible is going anywhere, at least not any time soon.
Thanks, Charlie! I will. One of these days, because I would like to be able to listen to my Audible titles.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #944
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I forgot to mention that I finished the excellent Short Story Collection #57 from Librivox, but I did, and then started listening to The Quest of the Historical Jesus by Albert Schweitzer on my iPod.

On the iPad I'm still listening to the Blackstone audio app of It's Superman! by Tom De Haven. It's a rather lengthy book with a 16 hours and 42 minutes running time, which isn't too surprising given that the paperback weighs in at 432 pages, but I guess a book about a super man deserves a super length. It's very good, and the author's frequent insertion of real people and brand names common to the 1930s instills the feeling in the reader of being right there in the midst of the depression era in which the story unfolds. Like Siegel and Shuster's original creation, and unlike recent incarnations, this Clark Kent is not a god. When hit by a bullet, he is bruised. When caught in an explosion, he is dazed and bleeds from a minor wound. I can't wait to get back to it. If there were only more hours in a day!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #945
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
On the iPad I'm still listening to the Blackstone audio app of It's Superman! by Tom De Haven. It's a rather lengthy book with a 16 hours and 42 minutes running time, which isn't too surprising given that the paperback weighs in at 432 pages, but I guess a book about a super man deserves a super length. It's very good, and the author's frequent insertion of real people and brand names common to the 1930s instills the feeling in the reader of being right there in the midst of the depression era in which the story unfolds. Like Siegel and Shuster's original creation, and unlike recent incarnations, this Clark Kent is not a god. When hit by a bullet, he is bruised. When caught in an explosion, he is dazed and bleeds from a minor wound. I can't wait to get back to it. If there were only more hours in a day!
Oh, this sounds like fun! I'm going to add it to my wish list!

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations