Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 08-08-2014, 08:01 AM   #916
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Yes, these are excellently narrated by Grover Gardner. And while I agree, it's useful to read Shards of Honor and Barrayar first, it certainly isn't required. And the "first" book in the universe is Falling Free. IAC, all good books. And one of my favourite authors.
You guys are going to put me in the poor house.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #917
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
You guys are going to put me in the poor house.
Ah, but you'll have plenty of good reading while you're there.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 11:28 AM   #918
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampshire Nanny View Post
Oh my! It usually takes me 2 months to finish an audio book. That's because I only listen when I'm alone in the car -- and that doesn't happen very much.

I'm still listening to The Map That Changed the World by Simon Winchester. I have about a dozen unread books purchased from Audible, and I've been downloading the free audio books offered by SYNC.
Yay! Business trip this week with a 20 minute commute each morning and evening means that I finally finished listening to The Map That Changed the World.

My iPhone now has King and Maxwell by David Baldacci and I'm about 8 chapters into it. I figure another month or two until I have enough "alone time" in the car to complete it.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #919
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
OK, all this discussion has me back to re-reading Master and Commander (the Patrick Tull version). What FUN. This really is a great series. There are other naval Napoleonic War series (C. S. Forester and Alexander Kent are the best known), but they don't measure up to the Aubrey/Maturin books. Even though I enjoy them as well.
Finished. A masterful reading by Patrick Tull of an excellent start to one of my all time favourite series. I'm going to move straight on to the second in the series, Post Captain. Fortunately, I have this already in my Audible library, since it appears to no longer be available from them in the Patrick Tull version.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #920
Sluum
WS Writing Company NV
Sluum began at the beginning.

Device: none yet but looking
Im listening all the Goddard Books. im at beyond recall side 12. Narrated by paul shelley (normal voice) and Michael Kitchen (desperate, destitute-like voice)
Sluum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #921
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin. I really don't know what to make of it; I'll have to give this one some thought. At the moment, I feel like I just walked 400 pages in a circle.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #922
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Continuing with the Short Story Collection #57 from Librivox, this morning I cut the grass in the fenced in portion of our yard to the tune of "The Cossack" by Anton Chekhov and "The Trial For Murder" by Charles Dickens. I failed to grasp the point of "The Cossack," except to say it seemed perhaps a character study embedded in what appeared at first glance to be a morality tale with an unclear point. "The Trial For Murder" was an enjoyable ghost story.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #923
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm devouring thrillers. After Harlan Coben's Stay Close and Hold Tight, I listened to two new books: Linwood Barclay's No Safe House and Elizabeth Little's Dear Daughter.

I'm not especially happy with Scott Brick's narration of Coben's books--there's something about the overly dramatic reading of some of Coben's pretentious musings that just sets my teeth on edge. Stay Close was okay; I liked Hold Tight much better.

Dear Daughter was a mixed bag. I think it would have been easier to follow in print--there were a lot of characters and relationships to keep track of, and I kept wanting to go back to refresh my recollection--but on the other hand, the narrator, Bonnie Dennison, was just terrific--she made the mean-spirited protagonist enjoyable and wickedly funny.

No Safe House was the best of the bunch. It picks up the story of the characters in No Time for Goodbye, but it's not necessary to have read the earlier book. Dual narrators were used--one for first-person chapters, another for third-person chapters--which worked well. Some nice surprises along the way.

I need to read a non-thriller or two for a change of pace, and then I plan to read Mary Kubica's The Good Girl and Holly Brown's Don't Try to Find Me.

Last edited by Catlady; 08-09-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:15 PM   #924
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Just finished listening to Larry Correia's Monster Hunter Nemesis and greatly enjoyed it. He has the right mix of whimsy and action for my taste and I really like the reader.

I decided to re-order my audiobook playlist a bit. I tend to move new books up to the top of the list, so older books never get listened to, so I moved Rosenburg's The Sleeping Dragon up to the top of the list. It had been sitting in the list for several months. I moved Niven's Ringworld up to second, so I'll start listening to that in a couple of weeks once I finish the first. It had been on my list for about a year and a half!
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #925
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Finished. A masterful reading by Patrick Tull of an excellent start to one of my all time favourite series. I'm going to move straight on to the second in the series, Post Captain. Fortunately, I have this already in my Audible library, since it appears to no longer be available from them in the Patrick Tull version.
Just as well I'm going on with Simon Vance from OverDrive in that case, although I must say that Vance's Mrs. Wogan in Desolation Island is cringe-making. US Southern accents seem hard to pull off. I'm almost done with DI and while a great listen, I don't think the book is as strong as the three before it. While is has the same cracking dialogue and attention to detail, it doesn't have the same level of intrigue and incident. I'm not complaining, though. I've decided I can allow myself another O'Brian on Labor Day weekend.

I've also finished, at long last, Birds Without Wings as narrated by John Lee and it was fantastic. It's the story of a village in Anatolia at the beginning of the 20th century and Lee's reading enhanced what was already a towering and heartbreaking story.

I've started The Black Count: Glory, Revolution, Betrayal, and the Real Count of Monte Cristo, narrated by Paul Michael. He's new to me and I'm glad I can increase the speed on the Smart Player app, as he's on the slow side. Early days, but it seems like a great story.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #926
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

I've also finished, at long last, Birds Without Wings as narrated by John Lee and it was fantastic. It's the story of a village in Anatolia at the beginning of the 20th century and Lee's reading enhanced what was already a towering and heartbreaking story.
Yes, it's a wonderful book, and great narration. Have you read his "Notwithstanding"? It's a collection of related short stories about some of the inhabitants of an English village. They were published separately over a decade, but fit together very nicely as a collection.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:45 AM   #927
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
No Safe House was the best of the bunch. It picks up the story of the characters in No Time for Goodbye, but it's not necessary to have read the earlier book. Dual narrators were used--one for first-person chapters, another for third-person chapters--which worked well. Some nice surprises along the way.
The same technique is used in one of his other books that I've just started listening to Trust your Eyes, was rather surprised when it first switched voices.
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:53 AM   #928
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Yes, it's a wonderful book, and great narration. Have you read his "Notwithstanding"? It's a collection of related short stories about some of the inhabitants of an English village. They were published separately over a decade, but fit together very nicely as a collection.
I have not. Thanks for the recommendation; I expect I'll like it very much indeed.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 AM   #929
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
The same technique is used in one of his other books that I've just started listening to Trust your Eyes, was rather surprised when it first switched voices.
If I remember correctly, the second voice was used somewhat infrequently in Trust Your Eyes. In No Safe House the chapters seem to be split pretty evenly between the two voices, plus only one is first-person.

How are you liking Trust Your Eyes?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 AM   #930
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
If I remember correctly, the second voice was used somewhat infrequently in Trust Your Eyes. In No Safe House the chapters seem to be split pretty evenly between the two voices, plus only one is first-person.

How are you liking Trust Your Eyes?
So far its just ok but I'm not very far in yet. I've not yet read/listened to any other Linwood Barclay however I've had several friends and family speak highly of No Time for Goodbye.

Last year I listened to Stay Close by Harlan Cobden and agree with your comments on it which is unusual for me as I usually adore Scott Brick although I wasn't sure weather to blame the author or the narrator
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations