Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #76
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterwardgd View Post
whats with the pumpkin head avatars? halloween is for one day at the end of the month.

Id like a h20 but for me the main feature of the device is useless. I dont read in the bath and i havent been on holiday since 2006.

Still i'd take it over an amazon billboard any day of the week.
It's totally time to read Halloween/ghost/witch stories and you can't read them ALL on the one day. So you gotta stock up now and start reading!

PLUS if you buy a pumpkin now or butternut squash, you can make soup now and celebrate early. Nothing like a good curcubit soup!!!
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:25 PM   #77
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The "main feature" of the device is the excellent 6.8" HD Carta screen.
The "main features" of the device are the excellent 6.8" HD Carta screen and ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #78
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I could have used one today. I have recipes on my kindle and my laptop, but I won't take either into the kitchen. I was making a half a tiramisu rather than a whole one--and because the recipe was in the living room, I had to go back and forth, back and forth--and I messed it up. Didn't cut the flour in half! Had to add more egg whites to make up for it...gah!!!! Well, it will still work. But if I had an h2o, well, I could take it in the kitchen. If egg whites splattered during the whipping process, it wouldn't be a big deal. And yes, those egg whites often get away from me...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #79
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
I could have used one today. I have recipes on my kindle and my laptop, but I won't take either into the kitchen. I was making a half a tiramisu rather than a whole one--and because the recipe was in the living room, I had to go back and forth, back and forth--and I messed it up. Didn't cut the flour in half! Had to add more egg whites to make up for it...gah!!!! Well, it will still work. But if I had an h2o, well, I could take it in the kitchen. If egg whites splattered during the whipping process, it wouldn't be a big deal. And yes, those egg whites often get away from me...
That's what ziploc bags are for...

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:16 AM   #80
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Can the text size on the kindle go as small as the kobo? Got a kobo glo at the moment, love the small text on it. Looking for a new e reader, got a voyage on order, love the page press buttons well be like my old kk again. However the smallest text on the kk was huge. So tempted to jump on the new kobo h2o for the screen size and the fact I can have really small text
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Can the text size on the kindle go as small as the kobo? Got a kobo glo at the moment, love the small text on it. Looking for a new e reader, got a voyage on order, love the page press buttons well be like my old kk again. However the smallest text on the kk was huge. So tempted to jump on the new kobo h2o for the screen size and the fact I can have really small text
It can go ridiculously small. Too small to be of any actual use to anyone.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:49 AM   #82
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
It can go ridiculously small. Too small to be of any actual use to anyone.
Cool. That's what I wanted to hear. The kobo is great for its text sizes being really small
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 11:08 AM   #83
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The "main features" of the device are the excellent 6.8" HD Carta screen and ePub.

The main features of the device are listed in the Product Description for that device.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:00 PM   #84
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Just curious if anyone on here is getting both?
I ordered the Voyage and have an October 21 delivery date. I said I was going to wait on the Kobo H2O but I just broke down and ordered one from Kobo.

I think I need to join a support group..grin... no impulse control when it comes to Ereaders and books..

Can't wait!
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #85
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I ordered the Voyage and have an October 21 delivery date. I said I was going to wait on the Kobo H2O but I just broke down and ordered one from Kobo.

I think I need to join a support group..grin... no impulse control when it comes to Ereaders and books..

Can't wait!
Nice! I would love to hear comparison thoughts on both! I have the voyage on order. If I could find a store near me that carried the H20 I'd really like to have a look at it in person, although maybe it's better if I can't. lol.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #86
desert dog
Zealot
desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desert dog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2,3 Voyage,Oasis 1&2, Kobo Glohd, Aura hd, Kmini, H2O 1&2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
Nice! I would love to hear comparison thoughts on both! I have the voyage on order. If I could find a store near me that carried the H20 I'd really like to have a look at it in person, although maybe it's better if I can't. lol.
Sure, I will post my impressions. And I know exactly what you mean when you say maybe its better not to be able to see it in person..grin..

The crazy thing is, I waited so long to order the H2O it will arrive just around the same time as the Voyage. (Kobo doesn't offer faster shipping options)...

So, sometime around the 21st of October, I am going to be very busy!

Christmas comes early!!
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #87
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Cool. That's what I wanted to hear. The kobo is great for its text sizes being really small
The Kobo can go smaller then the Kindle and still be readable because of the larger screen. I cannot say how small you can go and still be able to read. That's up to you.

The Kobo is also better at larger text because of the larger screen.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Kobo can go smaller then the Kindle and still be readable because of the larger screen.
You've slightly lost me there, Jon. How does a larger screen enable you to read smaller text more easily?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #89
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You've slightly lost me there, Jon. How does a larger screen enable you to read smaller text more easily?
At the same text size on both the Voyage and the H2O, the H2O's text will display slightly larger because of the larger screen.

It's akin to having two 1080P computer monitors with one being 22" and the other being 23". The 23" monitor will display the exact same thing larger then the 22" monitor.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM   #90
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
At the same text size on both the Voyage and the H2O, the H2O's text will display slightly larger because of the larger screen.

It's akin to having two 1080P computer monitors with one being 22" and the other being 23". The 23" monitor will display the exact same thing larger then the 22" monitor.
I see what you mean, but a given point size of text should display at the same physical size on both devices, because the display driver should take the screen size into account when converting from points to pixels.

The primary factor in the readability of very small text is the pixel density of the screen, and there the Voyage, with its 300dpi screen, probably will have a slight edge, although the H2O's screen is certainly very good.