Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-06-2023, 06:28 AM   #586
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Import List v1.9.1 released

Release Notes
https://github.com/kiwidude68/calibr...rt_list-v1.9.1

Please give this a whirl @Rellwood - I admit to not trying this (I don't use this plugin myself nowadays) so let me know if it works or if I broke things...
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 02:48 PM   #587
Blaineoreski
Zealot
Blaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
Question Thank You For Your Plugin & How to Get Some Data Into Calibre

Hi kiwidude,

When I saw your plug in and all the kind answers and help you've give people over such a long period of time, I felt impressed. Thank you, kiwidude.

I have just a handful of academic papers that I need to get their metadata for into Calibre.

So far, the easiest way for me to find the data has been to use this website:

https://www.doi2bib.org

For example, this paper:

https://www.doi2bib.org/bib/10.2307/4352738

returns this:

@article{Casazza2003,
title = {“Taming the Savageness of Man”: Robert Kennedy, Edith Hamilton, and Their Sources},
volume = {96},
ISSN = {0009-8418},
url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/4352738},
DOI = {10.2307/4352738},
number = {2},
journal = {The Classical World},
publisher = {JSTOR},
author = {Casazza, Joseph},
year = {2003},
pages = {197}
}

Once I've got that, what would be the easiest way to use your plugin to get it added to the paper in Calibre?

Thanks!

Ski

Last edited by Blaineoreski; 12-31-2023 at 03:08 PM.
Blaineoreski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2024, 03:21 AM   #588
kiwidude
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaineoreski View Post
I have just a handful of academic papers that I need to get their metadata for into Calibre.

So far, the easiest way for me to find the data has been to use this website:

https://www.doi2bib.org

For example, this paper:

https://www.doi2bib.org/bib/10.2307/4352738

returns this:

@article{Casazza2003,
title = {“Taming the Savageness of Man”: Robert Kennedy, Edith Hamilton, and Their Sources},
volume = {96},
ISSN = {0009-8418},
url = {http://dx.doi.org/10.2307/4352738},
DOI = {10.2307/4352738},
number = {2},
journal = {The Classical World},
publisher = {JSTOR},
author = {Casazza, Joseph},
year = {2003},
pages = {197}
}
If you only have a handful of papers then I suggest you just do it all manually. This plugin won't be able to parse that sort of data response, it is designed for scraping structured html content.

Rather than this plugin what you really need is a different type of bespoke plugin (Metadata) that targets this website, I didn't see any such thing in the index so clearly no-one has had enough of a requirement before now. And since the demand for such a thing is so low it most definitely isn't worth my time to write it
Old 01-03-2024, 01:23 AM   #589
Blaineoreski
Zealot
Blaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverBlaineoreski exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Hi kiwidude,

First! BLESS you, mate for taking the time to reply. I'm grateful.

Totally follow what you mean.

Me being out of the bespoke code dollar class, I think I'd like to give it a go myself.

Please can I ask a favor? In terms of a model for plug ins, where is the best place to start?

Sincerely,

Ski
Old 01-03-2024, 04:36 AM   #590
kiwidude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaineoreski View Post
Hi kiwidude,

First! BLESS you, mate for taking the time to reply. I'm grateful.

Totally follow what you mean.

Me being out of the bespoke code dollar class, I think I'd like to give it a go myself.

Please can I ask a favor? In terms of a model for plug ins, where is the best place to start?

Sincerely,

Ski
Any metadata plugin can be used as a starting point - be it one that comes with calibre or for instance one of mine. It just comes down to how much of the bespoke code within it you have to strip out and replace with more bespoke code for this website. I would suggest something like the Baen or Barnes & Noble plugins if choosing one of mine as a starting point to copy from, they are a little simpler than the Goodreads one which is also an option.

You just need to be aware of how many web requests you need to go through to reach the page containing the data that you want to parse, and that varies based on the plugin. For instance the FictionDB plugin needs to do HTTP POST requests, the Goodreads plugin does some extra parsing of editions to try to find a perferred one etc. They all have their quirks, and they will all break as soon as the website changes in an update...
Advert
Old 01-03-2024, 10:04 PM   #591
Blaineoreski
Zealot

Old 01-26-2024, 01:37 PM   #592
Duke9700
Duke9700 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy Note Pro 12.2/Galaxy S20
Trouble with Preview pane

I am having trouble accessing the Preview pane. Hopefully I'm overlooking something obvious, but any help would be appreciated.

Regardless of the size of the window, the Preview portion is just a sliver that shows the first 7-8 characters of the Title. I have tried dragging the bar between the panes (both at the dotted portion and elsewhere on that line).

The cursor changes to the expected double arrows, but dragging isn't doing anything. I have tried this with the overall window at different sizes, but I can't make the Preview more visible.

This is on Windows 11, calibre 7.3 and the latest version of Import List.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Import List.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	206033  
Duke9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:03 PM   #593
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke9700 View Post
I am having trouble accessing the Preview pane. Hopefully I'm overlooking something obvious, but any help would be appreciated.

Regardless of the size of the window, the Preview portion is just a sliver that shows the first 7-8 characters of the Title. I have tried dragging the bar between the panes (both at the dotted portion and elsewhere on that line).

The cursor changes to the expected double arrows, but dragging isn't doing anything. I have tried this with the overall window at different sizes, but I can't make the Preview more visible.

This is on Windows 11, calibre 7.3 and the latest version of Import List.
see the 4 dots by the 10? That is a movable boundary
You WILL need a wider overall window first
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 03:27 PM   #594
Duke9700
Duke9700 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Galaxy Note Pro 12.2/Galaxy S20
Quote:
I have tried dragging the bar between the panes (both at the dotted portion and elsewhere on that line).
I tried that before posting. I can drag anywhere on that line and it will now move. My screenshot was of a small window but even with a huge window the viewable part of the Preview pane is the same. I can select the bar, but the line between the panes does not move.

I'm familiar with the tool to resize pane and when I click on it, the cursor changes as expected. Hold-click and drag simply won't do anything.

Fortunately it's not a crisis. The next screen essentially shows another preview.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wide.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	206036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Small.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	206037  
Duke9700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 05:43 PM   #595
kiwidude

Try with calibre 6.x. 99% of the issues raised over the last few months are calibre 7.x related.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:53 PM   #596
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Works on 7.4. Your whole window (with import List on the title) is too narrow.
I can replicate your issue if I make it narrow.

It needs to be wider than tall (aka desktop monitor shaped, not Tablet portrait)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 12:06 AM   #597
kiwidude

Thanks @theducks - yes the left side of the window has an enforced minimum width, in order to be able to render the content within all the tabs. Make your window wider, then dragging the slider to the left should work.
Old 02-21-2024, 07:29 PM   #598
tagehring
tagehring began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Can't get CSV import to work

I have a CSV file with columns for UUID, title, author, and author_sort for each of the books in my library that I've manually corrected in Excel from catalog output. I've tried using Import List to import the corrections via CSV file but have run into a few problems.
  1. There doesn't seem to be a way to correct the author_sort value this way at all.
  2. If the author field has significantly changed, Import List returns an error even if the title is identical. When I use the plugin to match the CSV row to the book, it doesn't overwrite the correct author information from the CSV file.
  3. To solve #2 another way, despite manually matching the "ID" column of my CSV file to the ID:uuid identifier, I cannot get it to index using uuid. Every row returns an error. (See attached.)
I am at my wit's end trying to get this to work. Any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2024.02.21-193207-Import Book List.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	206512   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024.02.21-193215-Import Book List.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	625.7 KB
ID:	206513  

Last edited by tagehring; 02-21-2024 at 07:33 PM. Reason: clarified attachments
tagehring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:48 PM   #599
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagehring View Post
To solve #2 another way, despite manually matching the "ID" column of my CSV file to the ID:uuid identifier, I cannot get it to index using uuid. Every row returns an error. (See attached.)

You are trying to match id (which is sequential db integer) to a completely different field called uuid (which is 128-bit unique identifier represented as hexadecimal digits).

uuid would look like this

Code:
03c78cc3-bdf6-471b-b263-e28ee126965a
When exporting data from calibre make sure to choose the uuid rather than the id field to be able to match them later. uuid was chosen because it is unique for each book record and does not clash with books from other libraries. ids on the other hand, can match to wrong books if imported into another library by mistake, which could end up overwriting your metadata with wrong info.

As for the other points, you should wait until kiwidude sees the post and respond.

Last edited by capink; 02-21-2024 at 07:55 PM.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 08:22 AM   #600
tagehring
tagehring began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Quote:
When exporting data from calibre make sure to choose the uuid rather than the id field to be able to match them later. uuid was chosen because it is unique for each book record and does not clash with books from other libraries. ids on the other hand, can match to wrong books if imported into another library by mistake, which could end up overwriting your metadata with wrong info.
D'oh!

For someone who works with data for a living, you'd think I would have made that connection. Adding UUID to the spreadsheet and using that as the index worked for matching. Hoping kiwidude has some insights about the other issues.
tagehring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column types