Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 03-26-2011, 02:07 PM   #31
gecko
Edge User

I don't see how, but then I'm not a non-native English speaker. You're in Italy, so there's no problem with restaurants, but in the US there definitely is. I'm guessing that the eNToURaGe customer support person is from the Phillipines, which makes a restaurant recommendation very important, since that's a very delicious cusine.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:19 PM   #32
JBrondos
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaTrue View Post
You should try recalibrating first. If that doesn't work, then I'd call tech support.
How do I recalibrate?

Also, I'd like to ask a dumb, perhaps potentially offensive question -- but please be assured that I don't mean to be offensive. I'm just ignorant. What does it mean to "root" the Entourage eDGe? Does it void tech support or would it harm the Entourage eDGe?

Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #33
borisb
Edge User

To calibrate one or both screens, press the Menu button, Settings, Sound & Display, then "Tablet screen calibrator"/"Reader screen calibrator".

Rooting an Android device is like running Windows using an Administrator account with full privileges. Once a device is rooted, you can change, delete and install anything. For this reason, manufacturers tend to disable full privilege on their devices so that users don't get themselves into trouble. And since once rooted you can change things in ways that tech support can't anticipate (or then deal with), rooting generally voids the warranty, tech support, and firmware updates.

Having said that, Linux gurus who know what they're doing are just fine rooting their eDGes, and doing so doesn't technically "harm" it.

Given that you're just learning about rooting, I'd say: don't do it

Old 03-26-2011, 07:17 PM   #34
gecko
Edge User

Addendum: Rooters are generally pretty good at covering their tracks, though, by "unrooting" if they need repairs. The ethics of this are not obvious, but probably moot for the eDGe since it's not currently rootable, as far as I know.

You can also root by burying the EdGe in the ground, and then nosing it up with your snout, if you have a snout. This also voids the warranty.

Not surprisingly, Boris gives good advice. If you have to ask what it is, you shouldn't do it.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM   #35
borisb
Edge User

Maybe JBrondos wonders why it's called "rooting". It's because rooting lets you tap into the root system account which administers all other accounts, as in "root of all evil", if you will, or perhaps more accurately the root of the tree representing all accounts.

All devices are rootable if someone puts their mind to it, and often easily (I've seen numerous articles where newly released devices are routed in hours, not weeks). The eDGe was easily rooted for some time (once someone put their mind to it), although enTourage I think changed something a few months ago so perhaps the original technique no longer works. Doesn't mean it can be done

Advert
Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM   #36
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
Thank you for the continuous reply.

[...]

For your second concern, the latest Android version that we will release is the Android 2.2 or FROYO. Honeycomb is for Android 3.0; our website (www.enTourageedge.com) will maintain up-to-date information, so keep an eye on it!

[...]

Monith Isiderio,
enTourage System Customer Support
Make me believe what you say...with some factual and independently verifiable data.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:32 PM   #37
gecko
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Make me believe what you say...with some factual and independently verifiable data.
I believe you want http://dominatrixes-for-geeks.com

(Shouldn't the plural be "dominatrices"?)

Old 03-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #38
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
(Shouldn't the plural be "dominatrices"?)
Yes. Someone will need to be punished for that.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #39
lorenzoens
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
What?! I just did a copy-past of an email I received in answer to some questions of mine, where [...] are unrelated things. I do not appreciate your strain, but since you're in your lucky day:

da enTourage Systems Support <techsupport@entourageedge.com>
rispondi a techsupport@entourageedge.com
a [...]
data 26 marzo 2011 00:27
oggetto [SUPPORT #RRZ-207359]: [...]

nascondi dettagli 26 mar (2 giorni fa)

[...]

Thank you for the continuous reply.

For your first concern, even you’re located in Italy the Battery charger should work.

For your second concern, the latest Android version that we will release is the Android 2.2 or FROYO. Honeycomb is for Android 3.0; our website (www.enTourageedge.com) will maintain up-to-date information, so keep an eye on it!

If there is anything else we can help you with, please call our Technical Support Hotline at 1-866-639-0080 (available daily from 9AM to 9 PM EST). Please visit our website at www.entourageedge.com to access our online Support Center for answers to our most frequently asked questions, or browse our large selection of e-books, e-textbooks, music and apps.

Thank you for choosing Entourage Systems and have a nice day.

Monith Isiderio,
enTourage System Customer Support

Help Request Details
===================
Help request ID: RRZ-207359
Department: Tech Support
Priority: Public

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-26-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #40
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
What?! I just did a copy-past of an email I received in answer to some questions of mine, where [...] are unrelated things.
Okay, my apologies I interpreted your posting as an "enTourage System Customer Support representative", when you were not.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #41
Qwill
Edge User

My Tech support experience

As mentionned in the Ermine related forum, my 5 weeks old PE suddenly decided to transform itself into a lighthouse : The LCD (tablet) screen stays completely white (all pixels on) when the device is on.
It happened when I awaken the device back from hibernation.
Called and write to the technical support. (April 13, 2011, 2 PM EST)

First reaction of the tech support over the phone was to make me revert the device from Ermine to Dingo as entourage doesn't provide support for Ermin over the phone or through email. (Fair enough, it is written on the page you have to agree when you choose to upgrade for Ermine).

I received the instructions for reverting by email as well as an answer to the email-sent ticket. Both arrived around 3:30 PM same day.

Reverting to Dingo did nothing, therefore I specifically asked for a RMA form (In the answer of the tech support emails). Will phone them again if no answer.

To date, I should say that the Support service is correct, even if I found the revert to Dingo step quite unefficient, as my problem seems related to the hardware.

[UPdate] Now going through tier-3 support. Awaiting sign of life from tier-3 within the next 48 hours, which means not before next week as we are friday.

I will update this post when the situation will be updated !
Qwill.

Last edited by Qwill; 04-15-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:37 PM   #42
JazzMind
Edge User

I also have a "lighthouse" which plays a short phrase of bad music over and over. MY PE worked very well with dingo and then worked a couple of weeks significantly better with ermine. But last week the LCD screen went all white when i woke it from hibernation. When I try to reboot it also goes all white. The e-reader screen goes through its usual permutations during the booting process but the LCD screen just glows white and annoying music blares from the speakers. I contatced tech support on the 14th and they escalated to Tier 3 that same day. It is now the 18th and I wait to hear from them.

I have grown to really like this device. In fact, I ordered a second one to give my daughter for her birthday. I hope the tech support is as good as the forums suggest it is.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #43
lorenzoens
Edge User

In this situation I would not update to the unsupported beta, it's been up to you to decide to try it...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #44
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
In this situation I would not update to the unsupported beta, it's been up to you to decide to try it...
Is there any way to disable Hibernation and just allow for normal Screen Timeout instead?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #45
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
The option to install the beta does rest with the user but NOBODY expects the Beta to kill their machines.