Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #31
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
Also Dan Brown and JK Rowling have an awful lot in common....

Neither can write.
I think you're way off the mark with that one. Rowling's stories are certainly formulaic (as Sonist pointed out) and not all that original but she can write. Dan Brown is a mediocre writer at best. Rowling characters are engaging and endearing told via a classic tale of good vs. evil. Neither Dan Brown's characters or plot is endearing or engaging. I think it's unfortunate that Rowling is the bestselling author in the world right now but at least she is a decent writer. Dan Brown, along with Stephanie Meyer, really aren't.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:35 AM   #32
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I think the big difference between Rowling and Brown is that one is writing stories aimed at people with a 5th grade reading level. The other one is writing stories about wizards.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dan Brown doesn't write "great literature", but he's not setting out to do so. I've read all his novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them. They are good "escapist" thrillers, not meant to be taken seriously.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #34
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I hate book snobbery, if people are reading anything then I think it's a good thing given all the other things competing for our time.

Dan Brown obviously appeals to lots of people so fair play, I hope he continues to get people reading.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:30 AM   #35
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
"Potboiler", or "Pot Boiler", is the term that came to mind when I started to read Da Vinci Code.

It inspired me, though --- writing poorly apparently is no barrier to getting published and making a ton of money. Maybe my pot of gold is out there somewhere?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #36
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
Never really read any of his work. Just the premise of the Da Vinci Code kept me away from it. Also, I've not seen the movie.
Actually, the premis of the Da Vinci Code (and Angels and Demons) was the reason I read it.

(Angels and Demons, btw, is a good example why I don't read translated to Dutch books: the title in Dutch (translated back to English) is The Bernini Mystery....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Dan Brown doesn't write "great literature", but he's not setting out to do so. I've read all his novels, and thoroughly enjoyed them. They are good "escapist" thrillers, not meant to be taken seriously.
That goes for me too. I liked them, just because they were easy to read (and I loved the fact that people actually believed what he wrote in the Da Vinci Code )
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... and it's been great for the tourist industry in Rome. Rome is absolutely full of people offering "Angels and Demons" tours .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #38
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... and it's been great for the tourist industry in Rome. Rome is absolutely full of people offering "Angels and Demons" tours .
I didn't see them when I was there, thank goodness. But I did see DaVinci Code audio tours at the Louvre. Made me sad to see people walk by The Raft of the Medusa to go stare at the Mona Lisa for a half hour
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #39
zerospinboson
"Assume a can opener..."
zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zerospinboson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad v2, DR1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I didn't see them when I was there, thank goodness. But I did see DaVinci Code audio tours at the Louvre. Made me sad to see people walk by The Raft of the Medusa to go stare at the Mona Lisa for a half hour
They have always done that. It shocked me to see how many idiots (though that included lots of japanese tourists the last time I was there) were looking at that painting, through the 8" piece of (magnifying?) glass.
zerospinboson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:05 PM   #40
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
They have always done that. It shocked me to see how many idiots (though that included lots of japanese tourists the last time I was there) were looking at that painting, through the 8" piece of (magnifying?) glass.
It's just not even that great. Definitely not worth waiting a half an hour in line to get a close up look at.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM   #41
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
See, here's another example of tastes differing. I personally think La Gioconda (aka the Mona Lisa) is a great painting.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:17 AM   #42
b0ned0me
Connoisseur
b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.b0ned0me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I've heard from a number of people that Brown is pretty much an everyman's version of Umberto Eco, so much so that he (as you point out) basically puts out watered down versions of Eco's stories.
Having read both Focault's Pendulum and The Davinci Code, I have to say that rarely have two such different books been written on the same approximate topic. Eco almost made my brain hurt with complexity of his thinking, and I was forced to dive for the dictionary on several occasions to look up words I'd never heard of. It's a challenging book, beautifully realised.

Brown - not so much. I have read all three of his books and couldn't help thinking how much better it would have been if he'd just handed over a plot summary to a ghost writer. Having said all that, even if he's not my cup of tea he's done very well for himself and provided a tremendous number of people with books they've enjoyed reading, which is a job well done. I just wish he'd spend a bit more time getting his details right before unleashing them on the world. And fleshing out his characters. And possibly looking up some synonyms.

As for Rowling, she wrote a bunch of kid's books that were good enough that millions of adults have happily read the whole series. They might be a little formulaic but they seem very competently crafted. How many other books for 10-18 year olds get treated and reviewed as adult fiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Clive Cussler, sure his books are outrageous and the situations in them are HIGHLY unlikely, yet are enjoyable escapism.
<flinch>
<twitch>
I read Iceberg, Pacific Vortex, Raise the Titanic and Deep Six. That must have been my limit since I've never been able to read more than the blurbs for the later ones without
b0ned0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #43
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerospinboson View Post
It's amusingly explained in places like this one ;-)
Thanks for the link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I think having already read 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' pretty much ruined 'The Da Vinci Code' for me - it was constant deja vu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikar View Post
... Once I started reading it though it felt to me as if Dan Brown had a copy of 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' beside him as he was writing. ...
It was like this for me, too. The main reason I finished it was to see if it kept being like the 'The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail' - which it did. What Dan Brown did best IMO, was the action scenes, but the pace overall was far too uneven. Oh, well. It's not like I have to read any other books by Mr. Brown
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:00 PM   #44
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like that comparison to Umberto Eco. I read both authors and while Eco certainly has more depth he is also MUCH more difficult to read. Dan Brown is like a light snack and sometimes that is all I want. I don't want a reading diet composed of only light snacks but they do let my mind decompress between more challenging reads.

As far as the public is concerned, I expect Brown's success comes from pandering to the lowest common denominator. He spoon feeds us the plot, similar to mainstream movies. It won't fly over the heads of the common man. No chance of missing a key observation. His guns are smoking heavily and his guilty hands are painted bright red.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #45
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Wonder how many people read Dan Brown just to learn about the standards of "good" or "bad" writing, given the amount of critical attention he gets.

I have to admit, I'm tempted to pick it up and go through it just to see what people think of as "bad", though a link posted earlier gave me a few clues.

I mean there are lots of great ways to think of bad writing. It can be obtuse, redundant, repetitive, contrived, verbose, sparse, and a bunch of other adjectives. Sometimes a writer can roll more than one of these into an indigestible literary omelet...I wonder how Mr. Brown fares.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote