Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #1
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Dan Brown Books

I have been reading various books by Dan Brown, all purchased from Palm Digital Media. I just happened to visit their front site and notice that among their top fifteen sellers, his books occupy three slots.

I have read Crypto and Angels and Demons so far, and both kept me spellbound, page after page. I don't remember the last time I decided to read until I couldn't hold my eyes open any more, no matter how sleepy I would be the next day. Even though the writing is on widely varied topics, the quality is invariably high.

Books Currently Available at PDM
The DaVinci Code
Angels and Demons
Deception Point
Digital Fortress
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2003, 06:32 PM   #2
phlyphish
phlyphish began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T615C
The first Dan Brown book I read was Digital Fortress, and like saw9000, I lost lots of sleep from not being able to put it down. I promptly picked up Angels and Demons with the same result. I recently read the DaVinci Code and still can't decide which of his books is the best. They all held me spellbound from start to finish. Don't miss Dan Brown, but make sure you don't have any important committments the next day; you'll be groggy at best.
phlyphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2003, 08:52 AM   #3
mochant
mochant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie UX50
Good choice for the summer

Dan Brown has been a long time favorite of mine. He researches his topics well and it's nice to see him finally getting the recognition he deserves with the DaVinci Code. Digital Fortress is a good one too.
mochant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 12:22 PM   #4
RockerChick
Enthusiast
RockerChick began at the beginning.

Device: NX70v
What 'type' of books are they? Mystery, it sounds like...
RockerChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:46 PM   #5
mochant
mochant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie UX50
Thumbs up More thriller than mystery

Quote:
Originally posted by RockerChick
What 'type' of books are they? Mystery, it sounds like...
Not exactly. If you're familiar with a book called "The Eight" by Katherine Neville, that's about the best analogy I can make. Brown writes what I guess would be described as historical thrillers. His books have (to one degree or another) a lot of historical information (sometimes recent, other times dating way back in time) but generally take place in the present. They typically have very intricate plots with two or thre story lines going and different locales around the world.

Character development is secondary -- not bad -- I wouldn't call his characters one dimensional, bit the plot definitely is where he focuses his energies.

If you want to try one, I'd strongly suggest the DaVinci Code as the place to start. It's definitely his best effort yet. Angels and Demons is my other favorite but I have genuinely enjoyed all of his books.
mochant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2003, 05:00 PM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochant
Angels and Demons is my other favorite but I have genuinely enjoyed all of his books.
I just finished reading A&D, which was my first Dan Brown book. It is also the first book featuring Robert Langdon, the very-much likeable Indiana Jones hero of "The DaVinci Code." It was a good read; but to really enjoy the plot, I had to ignore the heavy religious sentiments and "miracles" (especially towards the end of the story).

If you are into this kind of conspiracy stories (centuries-old secret society vs. the Vatican), I recommend that you also check out Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 10:17 AM   #7
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Starting to read the da vinchi code on my visor prism...read alot of books on it already.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 09:56 PM   #8
Chick2horse
Chick2horse began at the beginning.

Device: none
What is the book Angels And Demons about
Chick2horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2004, 01:08 PM   #9
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
I just finished TDC, which someone gave me over the Xmas holiday.

Knowing that Hollyweird must have dug their claws in there somewhere, I checked out IMDB. Sure enough: Ron Howard has just been slated to direct the upcoming film adaptation, due out in '05. The screenplay is being written by Akiva Goldsmith of "Beautiful Mind" fame.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:50 AM   #10
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Fictionwise has currently (Feb 19 '04) a 35% off special on all Dan Brown books.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:24 AM   #11
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Hey,

Cool, a good read is 4 past midnight by steven king especially 2 past midnight in the book. A new movie is based on it called Secret Window with Johnny Depp.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #12
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hey! I am currently reading Da Vinci Code and can hardly find a moment to put it down. Great suspense!!!!
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:33 AM   #13
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Just finished listening to the audio book version of the DaVinci Code. I really liked the information that he presents in the books and it has inspired a whole avenue of research for me. However, the plot, though compelling, was pretty formulaic. Reminded me a lot of Michael Crichton: pulpy sort of action plot to keep you reading, meshed with a lot of information about scientific/social/philosophical issues. I did really enjoy it, but I class it with "quick fiction", something fun and inspiring to read between more formidable books.
ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote