Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
In my so far unsuccessfu quest for a Nokia N900 this side of asia, I came across this site about a shop in Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Japan.

http://3gmobile.shop-pro.jp/
http://3gmobile.shop-pro.jp/?pid=15220797

They are already putting up a price tag for a supposed apple tablet.

Again, this is probably a fake considering the way ths site looks, but still..
To be taken with more than a pinch of salt..those well-versed in japanese can make more sense out of this though.
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #17
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
Oh no!

Apple can't stop until they get all the market on their hands!
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
More fuel for the rumour mill.

Former Google China president reveals details on Apple's tablet From AppleInsider By Brian Garner.
Quote:
"The Apple Tablet looks like a bigger iPhone that sports an awesome UI packed in a beautiful 10.1-inch screen. The tablet combines the functions of both netbook and kindle, an ebook reader. It has virtual keyboard for text entry and a webcam for video conferencing."
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:55 PM   #19
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
In my so far unsuccessfu quest for a Nokia N900 this side of asia, I came across this site about a shop in Ikebukuro, Tokyo, Japan.

To be taken with more than a pinch of salt..those well-versed in japanese can make more sense out of this though.
If it's not a fake, the price tag is about $1000.00 US. That would definitely put it in the high-end user category.

Supposedly 12 hour battery life, 6 hours on 3G. It sure looks purty but let's wait until January 26 and see if this is it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
If it's not a fake, the price tag is about $1000.00 US. That would definitely put it in the high-end user category.

Supposedly 12 hour battery life, 6 hours on 3G. It sure looks purty but let's wait until January 26 and see if this is it.
There's nothing attractive about any of those stats. Half-a day battery life with the 3G turned off? BOO!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
12 hour (or even 6) battery life would be fine for me in a tablet device.

It would be something I'd use a few hours a day (and not even every day). I'm not too interested in this one since it will likely be finger touch rather than stylus. And my main need for a tablet is to read and mark up academic pdfs and books with a stylus.

But battery life isn't a huge concern for me with whatever tablet device ends up fitting my needs and budget down the road. Especially since it would really mainly get used in the office and at home--and thus near a charger.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #22
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
More fuel to this fire on CNN Money:

http://brainstormtech.blogs.fortune....blet-in-march/

They're saying a $600 price point - I was expecting closer to 8 or 9. And all that assumes there ever IS such a device.
At that price it's close to reasonable but given they will never discount the device as long as the zombies line up it will never end up in my hands...not when I will be able to get a Win7 touch slate PC for the same price or less w/o all the [s]restrictions[/s], errrr, requirements aPPlE will put on the beast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post

If that is it, from the specs I can read, it's the same device as seen here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66012

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/18/n...irst-pixel-qi/

Even down to the description of the oleophobic surface. No matter because if that is real, it's a nice design and would be very useful...running Win7 Ultra not OS XXVI.II.iv.xvii.b and when the *.c "update" is release it will cost another $100 for all of the components to work as advertized but buyers of new devices will get the increased features and bug fixes free...for a lower price.

EDIT: Actually I re-read the specs and if those are the real specs for the Apple device WOW, nice...but I doubt they get that battery life from that CPU and other hardware setup...still a nice rig and if confgured like that it's worth the $600 tag...and the best part is sit should run Win7 no problem.

Had to add this as well because if the image on this page is real:
http://3gmobile.shop-pro.jp/?mode=ca...=106952&csid=0

That thing with a DVD drive is an uber sexy design...and pretty much an ideal slate device in my book. Everything, almost of a laptop save a keyboard but easy to use a folding iGo or something along those lines.

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-31-2009 at 10:48 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 AM   #23
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
CBS Sunday Morning

Made mention of the Apple's pending product in a short story about Steve Jobs/Apple. They used the names iTablet and iSlate.

Gunner...
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:26 PM   #24
dickon25
Groupie
dickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-booksdickon25 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505. Pocketbook Inkpad 840
Did anyone see this article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...h-January.html

It shows a lovely picture of the mythical iSlate - Cool!!

(Apologies if this is a duplicate of one of the earlier links posted - I'm having a bad computer day and those links won't open for me).
dickon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #25
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Yup it's coming in late January. If not, then I will never utter another word about the Apple tablet hehe.

I wonder how it will work in terms of communications. Will it have video chat and will it work with skype. Will AT&T be upset that Apple released a device that takes away from their lucrative iPhone contracts...

If it's out in January, it will be my upgrade from Kindle DX. If not then I will continue waiting for Kindle 3 which I hope will be out in Feb (one year after K2)
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
. Will AT&T be upset that Apple released a device that takes away from their lucrative iPhone contracts...
Their contract with AT&T is up sometime in 2010 anyway, and it's widely assumed that they'll no longer sign any exclusivity deal and go to multiple cellular providers.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #27
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickon25 View Post
Did anyone see this article?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...h-January.html

It shows a lovely picture of the mythical iSlate - Cool!!

(Apologies if this is a duplicate of one of the earlier links posted - I'm having a bad computer day and those links won't open for me).
Looking at the dimensions of the image, it still looks like a very narrow screen like the Archos 9. I have the Archos 9 and while it works reasonably well, I really would prefer a tablet PC in dimensions similar to that of an A4 note pad. Whatever tablet PC I end up using into the future, it would need to run a windows operating system to be compatible with all other computer platforms I use, especially those at work whcih will never move away form a windows environment.

At the moment I am experimenting with the hand writing recognition software of Windows 2007 Ultimate on the Archos 9. This may work well for making case notes as well as taking notes during lectures, but need s a bit more testing before I commit to this. Will Mac do this better, perhaps, but would not be able to then translate text to a Windows based operating system.

The Archos works well for reading a novel or heavily illustrated maunal such as those I use for photography.

For PDF's where I need to make notes on documents I continue to use my Irex DRS.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #28
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Looking at the dimensions of the image, it still looks like a very narrow screen like the Archos 9. I have the Archos 9 and while it works reasonably well, I really would prefer a tablet PC in dimensions similar to that of an A4 note pad. Whatever tablet PC I end up using into the future, it would need to run a windows operating system to be compatible with all other computer platforms I use, especially those at work whcih will never move away form a windows environment.

At the moment I am experimenting with the hand writing recognition software of Windows 2007 Ultimate on the Archos 9. This may work well for making case notes as well as taking notes during lectures, but need s a bit more testing before I commit to this. Will Mac do this better, perhaps, but would not be able to then translate text to a Windows based operating system.

The Archos works well for reading a novel or heavily illustrated maunal such as those I use for photography.

For PDF's where I need to make notes on documents I continue to use my Irex DRS.

Karen
think your maybe a bit behind on some of the MAC comments Karen

A mac will quite happily read anything in any MS OFFICE format and also create files that can be read on any Windows machine. and if you used say a card to store the files on it coukld be easily plugged into a PC or you could just email them to yourself.

if you can read or write a file in Windows you can pretty much do the same in OSX.

oh and yes my work are all winxp but i happily do work on my Mac and email it in to work and then continue on the work on my Windows machine.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #29
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Looking at the dimensions of the image, it still looks like a very narrow screen like the Archos 9.
That image is just a mock up of what someone thinks it might look like. We cany use it to infer anything about what the real one, if it exists, will look like. Here is the flikr page with the original image: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12905355@N05/3778361783/

Another neat blog is here, with a bunch of other mock ups... http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/itablet-contest/
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #30
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Agree on the size as I really want something like a digital legal pad. But I differ on the OS.

As long as it can read PDFs, I'd almost prefer it to be a non-windows OS so I could use it for random net surfing, torrenting etc. without as much fear of viruses and malware that you get on Windows machines.

I wouldn't use it for any real work purposes beyond reading and marking up PDFs and academic books, so I don't care if it can support Word, Excel etc. (and as the other posters said, Macs handle most windows stuff now anyway).