Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-27-2012, 03:48 PM   #16
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
If anyone has any suggestions about good and affordable places to go for hosting, I'd be happy to look into it. I am confessedly pretty ignorant on the topic.
What about distribution through a torrent? Although torrents have a reputation for illegally distributing copyrighted content, there's plenty of legal content offered through torrents, e.g. LibreOffice, various Linux distributions, music from independent artists, etc.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
We would be very wary of having a link to a torrent site on MobileRead.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
What about distribution through a torrent? Although torrents have a reputation for illegally distributing copyrighted content, there's plenty of legal content offered through torrents, e.g. LibreOffice, various Linux distributions, music from independent artists, etc.
Then, we'd have to install some sort of torrent software on our systems, in order to download. I'll pass.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #19
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Then, we'd have to install some sort of torrent software on our systems, in order to download. I'll pass.
Dropbox and box.net both offer public downloads. Maybe others to.

Too bad about torrents. Good engineering, but too associated with bad stuff to be trust worthy.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Go Harry, I say .......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #21
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
I would assume, also, that as the publisher, they could simply add a copy in the proper folder here....
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Certainly; they'd be very welcome to upload here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #23
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
Hi there!

Glad people have been enjoying the free mousecatcher edition of A Princess of Mars. I'm sorry Mediafire seems to have been raising virus alerts for a few people. It's certainly not anything to do with the files themselves -- and if those dratted pop-ups/pop-unders are causing concern, do feel free to grab the zip file instead from those who have got it successfully. The Mobi and ePub files are completely DRM-free and can be shared, emailed, re-hosted as much as people want.

The decision was only made to host them on Mediafire because should downloads really take off, we're a small outfit and might not be able to afford the hosting for thousands and thousands of downloads. (It's mostly me -- Art Mayo -- doing it out of frustration at not be able to find beautiful, reliable eBooks of my favourite adventure novels).

If anyone has any suggestions about good and affordable places to go for hosting, I'd be happy to look into it. I am confessedly pretty ignorant on the topic.

Best,

Art Mayo
mousecatcher Media
Thank you for making this available. Mediafire and similar sites do tend to have popups, popunders etc. I suspect that is a major revenue source for them. I downloaded the file and had no poppy thingies (thanks to browser settings) and avast raised no flags. Downloading from these sites can result in "danger!" messages, but they are usually false positives. Again, many thanks for the download.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
I would have no objection to paying for current ebook versions, but nearly all of the reviews complain about poor formatting.
The ERB books here (especially, Harry's) are pretty good.
You might want to check out at Munseys and Feedbooks, too.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #25
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Sorry my suggestion of distribution as a torrent ruffled feathers, I underestimated how maligned and misunderstood that technology is. FWIW, torrents don't require a torrent site (look at the download links for LibreOffice, or most any flavor of Linux), are perfectly legal (as long as you're not downloading copyrighted material), are safe (as safe as downloading anything else from the internet), and there are even ways of downloading torrents without installing any software.

Dropbox is not intended as a file distribution service; accounts that generate too much traffic have been shut down. I would not be surprised if box.net and similar services would do the same. Which is a shame, because otherwise Dropbox would be a great distribution method!

I'm glad to hear Art is welcome to post the book up on MobileRead!
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Sorry my suggestion of distribution as a torrent ruffled feathers, I underestimated how maligned and misunderstood that technology is. FWIW, torrents don't require a torrent site (look at the download links for LibreOffice, or most any flavor of Linux), are perfectly legal (as long as you're not downloading copyrighted material), are safe (as safe as downloading anything else from the internet), and there are even ways of downloading torrents without installing any software.
Well said. There is nothing wrong with the technology itself. It's how it's used that matters.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #27
camiller
Addict
camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.camiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Quote:

Dropbox is not intended as a file distribution service; accounts that generate too much traffic have been shut down. I would not be surprised if box.net and similar services would do the same. Which is a shame, because otherwise Dropbox would be a great distribution method!

I'm glad to hear Art is welcome to post the book up on MobileRead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio777 View Post
Well said. There is nothing wrong with the technology itself. It's how it's used that matters.
Yeah, I've downloaded torrents from IBM before. Torrents are a great tool for distributing large files and IBM used to distribute WebSphere Application Developer (their version if the eclipse IDE) via torrent.
camiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #28
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I'm just really glad that all these editions are available (I have HarryT's) and that thanks to the movie, people are reading them. I first read A Princess of Mars 40 years ago at the age of 12, and I thought and still think, that Burroughs was a story-telling genius.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree. Burroughs certainly wasn't a great writer, but he WAS a good storyteller. These are wonderful books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:01 AM   #30
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I like the Pellucidar series.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burroughs mousecatcher