Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-15-2019, 06:11 AM   #166
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
Frequently used two devices: Kindle and Onyx Boox Note
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #167
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikou View Post
I read comics and manga on my tablet (iPad Air 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.4).
Assuming you use apps other than ComiXology's own app, which system has better comic readers? iOS or Android?

I'm familiar with Android apps like Perfect Viewer, Challenger and CDisplayEX. I've also used some Windows apps on my Surface (Cover is the best available there). But I've never had a chance to try the iOS ones.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #168
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Assuming you use apps other than ComiXology's own app, which system has better comic readers? iOS or Android?

I'm familiar with Android apps like Perfect Viewer, Challenger and CDisplayEX. I've also used some Windows apps on my Surface (Cover is the best available there). But I've never had a chance to try the iOS ones.
I'd say they're fairly equal in that regard. I use ComicGlass on iOS, Perfect Viewer on Android and CDisplayEX on Windows.

I kinda stopped using Windows for comic reading when I first got the iPad though. Windows tablets I've used were either too heavy or batteries didn't last as long as the iPad's.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:01 PM   #169
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I do that for smartphones and tablets.

Alas, most of my friends/family are not interested in dedicated e-readers and those that are already have their own (usually newer model).
I found that's true for me also, the younger gen. only want to use their larger phones for reading and everything else. Except when they are going to the beach and sun glare is a problem. Then they will bring along a kindle paperwhite I gave them. It seems they will only use them for a specific use. Vacations and camping trips they will toss in kindle to their travel bags. Where they want to save batteries on the phones and where wifi can be sketchy.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #170
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I'm afraid many of my friends and family are no longer in good working condition Nobody wants one - either they don't read or they read on their phone and don't want to be bothered with a standalone unit that only does one thing.
Lol! I found that's true also. Especially for the the younger gen. it all can be done on one device, a large phone. They see no need for anything else. The older gen. like my ancient uncle 89 and counting. Loved it for his fishing camp use. He never heard of an e reader and would read the same magazines or paperbacks. No wifi or internet at the camp which is how he likes it. So the paperwhite was something he likes but never heard of before. The first thing he said when I showed it to him was " What the heck is that ? " I loaded some books about fishing and magazines. He loved it ! He takes it to the camp and charges it at home when he comes back a couple weeks later. He has an account now and I showed him how to buy books so he has added quite a few to his collection. Now I'm thinking he would probably like a waterproof kindle paperwhite to bring on his boat. So far I don't have one to give him though. If he drops the one he has in the lake then I'll probably get him a used Paperwhite 4 or on sale. He really does love it
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #171
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
E-Readers definitely don't seem to be part of the younger demographic... I see more 40+ using it, but that is fine by me. I couldn't imagine trying to read on anything else when I am out in the sun Aside from my phone, my eReader is the one thing I make sure to take when we go on holiday.

Sometimes it is interesting to see WHO latches on to them though. One of the best-used eReaders in our (extended) family belongs to my father-in-law. We bought him a refurb'd PRS-350 as a gift when they were being cleared out over 6 years ago. I figured if he was anything like my parents, he would never use it. Never heard much about it for quite some time, but when we asked how he got on with it, he was apparently taking it with him to read at the pub after work every day. He is STILL using it to this day!
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:20 PM   #172
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
I bought in February 2017 my Kindle Paperwhite. Then I wanted something bigger, so I bought in July 2018 my Kobo Aura One (if there had been a 7.8-inch Kindle I would have bought it). The KAO now is my first reader and I use the Paperwhite when I need to take a reader with me and the KAO is too big.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:15 PM   #173
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

When I'm reading on my tablet, I use Comixology since that's where I buy them all. Otherwise, I read library comics or the few cbr/cbz files I have on my Kobo ereader.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:34 AM   #174
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Kindle keyboard, Kobo Touch, Kindle Touch, Nexus 7, Kobo Mini.
So the Kindle keyboard went to my dad. The Nexus 7 died and was replaced by a HUDL 2 which itself was replaced by a Kindle Fire 8.

The rest I still have.

Also - Kindle PW2, PW3, Oasis2, Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD, Aura One and BQ Cervantes 4.

Hmm. 9 eink readers and a tablet? Too many??

latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 11:09 AM   #175
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
So the Kindle keyboard went to my dad. The Nexus 7 died and was replaced by a HUDL 2 which itself was replaced by a Kindle Fire 8.

The rest I still have.

Also - Kindle PW2, PW3, Oasis2, Kobo Glo HD, Clara HD, Aura One and BQ Cervantes 4.

Hmm. 9 eink readers and a tablet? Too many??

You need to experience the joy of reading with a Voyage.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:59 AM   #176
ernieh
Connoisseur
ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ernieh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch, kobo mini, Icarus Xl, Likebook Mars, Kobo Forma, Pocketboo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Since my previous list of readers I obtained a 6 inch Icarus Illumina and a 8 inch Icarus Illumina and a Kobo touch that I had to get as it was dirt cheap as seller could not sell them. The 8 Illumina the low resolution one. Just recently I got the high resolution Likebook Mars, a very similar machine to the Icarus which is a now defunct rebranding and software replacement organization. Surviving readers are the Mars, both Icaruses, 2 Kobo touches, an Iriver, a Kobo mini and a Prestigio, all other on my previous list have been disposed of or broken or bricked by my experimentation with firmware.
Since above have got the Kobo Forma and a Pocketbook color. Should note that some years ago my wife became a dedicated user of the Kobo store with one of the Kobo touches and more recently with the very excellent Kobo Forma. The Kobo store which is priced in local currency is great and she has bought several hundred books. Also if you want to put the books on non Kobos you can also download them via ADE if they have coding or directly, besides syncing them.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:15 AM   #177
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I'm ordering a Libra tomorrow, so when it arrives I'll have two. Unless/until I can sell my H2O2 to cover the cost of a cover for my Libra (which would please my wife as she wants my cover for her H2O2)
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:42 AM   #178
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Seldom used: Kindle Voyage
Sometimes used: Nook Glowlight Plus 2019, Kindle Oasis 2
Often used: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra

No longer used: Basic Kindle (with buttons) 2011 and 2012

I sold my Basic Kindle 2014 and Kindle Oasis 1 (the model with the charging cover) on a local online marketplace. Tried to interest a couple of friends and family members in them, but no one wanted them. No one I know does ebooks or ereaders. I'm a lone wolf in that.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:03 PM   #179
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Kobo Aura One - perfect size, just used outdoors as it is so much slower than the tablets and the background is not white enough for me - I probably will never buy another ereader due to these constraints.
Ipad 11" - used to read PDF's and comics - used in portrait mode
Ipad Mini - my go to epub reader - used in landscape mode
Nexus 7 - too small now and the gyro doesn't work, but I love it so much, I can't let it go - used occasionally only in portrait mode
Lg 8.3 - my Android backup for the Mini, if it were just a bit bigger I'd use it instead of the Mini - used in portrait mode
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:13 PM   #180
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
Nexus 7 - too small now and the gyro doesn't work, but I love it so much, I can't let it go - used occasionally only in portrait mode
Yes, it’s broken in mine, too. There are fixes, but they don’t last. But what you can do when you want to switch orientation is open an app that only works in the other orientation. The switch is forced and it will stay that way until the next time you open a single orientation app in the opposite orientation. Or at least this works for me.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote