Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-31-2007, 08:29 AM   #1
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Cybook vs. Sony Reader

My Sony Reader is scheduled to arrive next week. I bought it using the Sony Card promotion.

I'm still having a hard time deciding between the Sony Reader and the Bookeen Cybook Gen 3. I'm thinking of selling the Sony Reader on Ebay, and rolling that into the purchase of a Cybook.

Here is the way I see it:
Pros for Sony:
1) A lot of user support, resulting in some great tools.
2) A proven reader that's been out for over a year.
Pros for Cybook:
1) Next-gen technology including Viziplex
2) Mobipocket (I've got more faith in Amazon's venture than I do in Sony's.)

Am I just craving the latest "gadget," or do people think that it's worth paying the extra $$$ for a Cybook?
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:03 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just craving for sure. If you have a Sony, the Gen3 really isn't all that much of a step up. And Sony have stated that they will be supporting Digital Editions. No such word yet from Cybook. Besides, you can always buy a Cybook later on if you want and keep the Sony for now.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
Kilarney
Connoisseur
Kilarney doesn't litterKilarney doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
That's actually a good point. I can hang onto my $60 Sony for a while, and spend the extra $$$ for a new reader when there is a bigger difference. If I bought the $350 Cybook, I'd just want the next $350 machine to come out in a few months.

I think I'll enjoy the Sony for a couple of years and then upgrade. No doubt the improvements by then will be more substantial. We also should have a better idea of who will win the format wars by then.
Kilarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I don't have much in the way of hopes for Adobe Digital Editions. If they're anything like PDF I think they'll be a pretty much useless format for eBooks, at least in my opinion. PDF is good for two things, printing and protection. I don't much care for protection, and most eBooks have restrictions against printing.

It's a combination that makes Adobe a non-starter as far as I'm concerned. A document that doesn't reflow properly and you can't print isn't going to work for me.

Having said that, I'd stick with the Sony until you can get something that's a real improvement, more than just the Gen3.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I, on the other hand, do have great hopes for what Digital Editions can become. Adobe has shown that it can be a market leader and can follow when the market turns in ways that Adobe does not have a product that supports it.

PDF established the concept of a formatted document that would work cross platform. Their type and graphic tools are the industry leaders.

By all measurements the current ebook market is small. It will grow larger, much larger. DE has a good chance of capturing a large part of that future market. Adobe has shown that they take security seriously and they are trusted by the industry to produce secure documents. If they implement a DRM scheme in DE that not bound to Sony Corporate many booksellers will start to offer Sony ebooks.

In theory DE is device independent so support can be added for the Cybook in the future. Depending upon how open the system is perhaps even 3rd party support for DE will be available.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
DE provides legacy support for Adobe's old DRMed PDF's, but its interesting capability is support for the new .epub format. This is reflowable, and is the next generation beyond .oeb (which is the basis for .mobi and .LIT). So far as I know, DE only supports .epub without DRM at present, see Digital Editions XHTML samples. These are currently only readable via DE or the very latest version of FBReader.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote