Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
MishaS
Connoisseur
MishaS is on a distinguished road

Device: Nokia N810/Nokia E51
Question .epub format

Any suggestions on the conversion tools??

I tried to follow a very simple instructions at Creating an OCF Using WinZip, but Digital Editions chokes on the resulting file.
MishaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 11:23 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The teleread blog just posted a link to .epub eBooks tutorial which might help. However, I have been unable to download any example .epub documents from this site or from IDPF (all are page not found). I was able to get examples from Adobe's digitaleditions library.

I don't know how there can be a true "standard" without at least two readers and at least two sources of e-books. At the moment, all we have is "Digital Editions" complaint documents.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
Robert Marquard
Delphi-Guy
Robert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheeseRobert Marquard can extract oil from cheese

Device: iLiad, Palm T3
I see .epub as the emerging standard for free ebooks. How about us creating an .epub library here?
A converter for MS Reader .lit files should be possible and Mobipocket Creator handles it already as source format for generating Mobipocket ebooks (no wonder because they already used .opf files as project format).
Robert Marquard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think we'll have one eventually, but it may be a bit premature just yet. What does everyone else think?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
I see .epub as the emerging standard for free ebooks. How about us creating an .epub library here?
A converter for MS Reader .lit files should be possible and Mobipocket Creator handles it already as source format for generating Mobipocket ebooks (no wonder because they already used .opf files as project format).
This is exactly what I tried: convert a .lit file to .epub using instructions above. However DE does not open it.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:33 PM   #6
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The teleread blog just posted a link to .epub eBooks tutorial which might help. However, I have been unable to download any example .epub documents from this site or from IDPF (all are page not found). I was able to get examples from Adobe's digitaleditions library.
Thanks for the tutorial link. I'll have a look...

Quote:
I don't know how there can be a true "standard" without at least two readers and at least two sources of e-books. At the moment, all we have is "Digital Editions" complaint documents.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
to each their own, i use the sony reader and like the lrf files and some pdf files
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Marquard View Post
MS Reader uses .OPF files as well. I see this when converting from LIT to HTML.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:12 PM   #9
silkpag
Enthusiast
silkpag began at the beginning.

The instructions aren't complete

Among other things, the "mimetype" file has be set to compression: 0% or it won't load properly.

The ETI guys have info on this

/Still working on it.

Last edited by silkpag; 06-30-2007 at 06:12 PM. Reason: URL tag thingie not worky
silkpag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
MishaS
Connoisseur

OK, for what it's worth. Here's a simple python script that takes a directory with an OEB book (converted from .lit, hint-hint ) and supposedly creates a .epub file. (BTW, .py does not seem a valid extension for this forum... )

My feeling is that .lit files are not necessarily conformant to OEBPS 1.2, and that could be a problem... Another possibility is that DE expects all those nice files with TOC and page format... I agree one more time with wallcraft about reading sofware as well as various sources for e-books in this format...
Attached Files
File Type: zip oeb2epub.zip (1.2 KB, 1550 views)

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-30-2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: To replace the attachment with a zipped copy
Old 06-30-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaS View Post
OK, for what it's worth. Here's a simple python script that takes a directory with an OEB book (converted from .lit, hint-hint ) and supposedly creates a .epub file. (BTW, .py does not seem a valid extension for this forum... )

My feeling is that .lit files are not necessarily conformant to OEBPS 1.2, and that could be a problem... Another possibility is that DE expects all those nice files with TOC and page format... I agree one more time with wallcraft about reading sofware as well as various sources for e-books in this format...
Now that we have this, how do we use it?
Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 PM   #12
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkpag View Post
Among other things, the "mimetype" file has be set to compression: 0% or it won't load properly.

The ETI guys have info on this
Thanks for pointing it out... I updated the script (and will upload it later).
Old 06-30-2007, 06:35 PM   #13
MishaS
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Now that we have this, how do we use it?
Sorry, forgot to mention it

First of all, you should have python installed. The script only uses standard modules, so no additional components are required.

Let's say you've got a directory where you have a OEBPS conformant e-book (like you just exploded a book using ConvertLit). The the either of the following commands should do the trick:
Code:
python oeb2epub.py <path>/<to>/<e-book>
or
Code:
python oeb2epub.py <path>/<to>/<e-book> <output>.epub
In the first case oeb2pub.py will create a .epub file with the same name as directory: if you have your OEB book in /some/path/with/my/super-ebook script will create a file called /some/path/with/my/super-ebook.epub. In the second case you just specify where to put the resulting .epub file.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I'm going to wait until the format is a little more mature (in terms or reader support). Writing a converter to it will be trivial, but the only way I'm going to be tempted to do that is if the reader performs better (in terms of hyphenation and page turn speed) than the LRF reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm going to wait until the format is a little more mature (in terms or reader support). Writing a converter to it will be trivial, but the only way I'm going to be tempted to do that is if the reader performs better (in terms of hyphenation and page turn speed) than the LRF reader.
But what if other readers also support it? One book and it's available for multiple readers.